Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zana_ridha

Marble floors refinish Flat or shiny ?? My style is transitional

Zana Ridha
2 years ago

I am in the middle of repolishing our Marble floors (creama marfil) And first layer was taken out so its flat, im wondering if flat could be more in now than Shiny floors ? and if anyone know which one is more durable as the marble floors are in my kitchen area as well

thanks for any advice… hence the walls are flat.

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I think you could go either way. I like the honed version (flat). just make sure when they are done, that you properly seal them.

Try this sealer:.

I had my marble shower floor refinished (honed) and he used this on it.

It's wonderful. water beads up, no absorption and no staining. just makesure you wipe up any spills promptly

for cleaning, (if you leave it honed, it will require a diff type of cleaner. and if you don't use that sealer I mentioned, then make sure the sealer you do choose specifies that it's safe for Honed marble. Some are only good for polished)

I use this or the deep clean version mixed w/water in a spray bottle.

Zana Ridha thanked Beth H. :
  • julieste
    2 years ago

Isn't polished much more of a fall and slip hazard than honed?

• Helen
    2 years ago

Honed marble is just as slippery - the shininess doesn't impact that. Large stone floors are slippery when there is any moisture - at least in my experience. It is why there are yellow hazard signs in public lobbies when it rains 😀

I have polished marble in my guest bath and honed marble in my master bath. They both have the same cabinets and design "theme" but somehow the polished marble bathroom looks more formal and "elegant" whereas the honed marble version is quite pretty as well in its own way but is softer.

Zana Ridha thanked Helen
  • julieste
    2 years ago

To the OP: I don't know if you are concerned about slipping at all, but there is a difference between finishes and slipperiness.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/262938770_Slip_Safety_Analysis_of_Differently_Surface_Processed_Marbles

"3.2. Surface roughness and slip resistance analysis of the marbles

Simple linear regression was used to examine the relationship between slip resistance and surface roughness values of four different marble surfaces. According to this regression analysis, (R2> 0.83), the regression model had a significant determinant coefficient for explaining the change in anti-slip performance. In order to understand the influence of surface roughness of marbles on slip resistance, surface roughness values were plotted for four different surface processes, and the related data were shown in Figure 3. Depending on surface processing techniques, an increase was observed in surface roughness values. Remarkable relationships were obtained between the roughness of polished, honed, tumbled and patinato surface treatments and slip resistance. Previous research determined that increasing surface roughness of the covering considerably reduced the degree of slip [12]. As the roughness

increases from polished surface to honed to tumbled and to patinato surfaces, the slip resistance increases, thus reducing slip risk."

Zana Ridha thanked julieste