Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_168559049

20x13 Awkward living room

Haw
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

These pictues are for the previous owners. Right now I have only a sofa in the spece. No tables No art on the walls.

Down below I uploaded the blue prints and measurements of the space.

Hi, I am finding it so difficult to make this living room work.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR COMMENTS.

I am open to divide the space of needed. buy new furniture if it will work better. ANY IDEA IS WELCOMED

Comments (23)

• njmomma
    2 years ago

The best way to get some advice is to also upload all measurements of the room. Draw it out on paper, add measurements then post a picture.

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

That is not an easy layout to work with!

Do you have another room you can have the tv in?

If yes, I’d have the sofas facing each other and create a little nook in the back of the room.

• Haw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

There are no other rooms 🤯

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

I think you misstated the dilemma. It should have read "My furniture doesn't work in my new living room." You have a matched set of oversized seating pieces that includes a loveseat; the bane of good arrangements. Do you have the budget for new furniture? If not, consider selling the chair and loveseat and using the money to buy a pair of upholstered armchairs that are smaller scale and some casegoods. Second hand can often work and might even be an upgrade at the right shop.

• Haw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I wanted to do the measurements but I’ll have to do it for each opening. The space between the fireplace and the facing opening is 100 inch. From the window to the opening entrance is 50 inch. I thought of putting the TV besides the fireplace but the layout is so tricky. It’s driving me crazy.

• Haw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

These pictures are form the old owners. I have an Ikea sectional (FINNALA)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

Pics of your stuff and a to scale floor plan easily done on graph paper . Foe sure not the TV above the FP as it is unless you hav a chiropractor on call for free.There is lots of space besie the FP for a TV so how big is your TV .

• njmomma
    2 years ago

There are a lot of people who can help you with your living room, but you need to post pictures of your living room, with your furniture and measurements.

No one can help you if you don't give full details.

• Haw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I dont have a TV yet 😂. For sure I’ll work on that over the weekend (measurements and pics of my furniture)
    I am willing to update my furniture too.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Select your main pieces first and keep sizes small. Condo or apartment size. Keep 3’ of space around main furnishings. 18” from front edge of sofas to coffee table. Smaller scale chair for corner that could be pulled up to conversation area. Something like this.

• suezbell
    2 years ago

Unless you are inclined to waste money replacing perfectly good furniture, rethink the space rather than replace your furniture.

Do try a centered arrangement of the furniture you now have arranged similar to what the Flo Mangan sketch suggests.

If, however, the centered arrangement doesn't work , consider creating two distinctly different spaces.

Against the wall with the bay window left of the fireplace, create a small, alone time space. Include a comfortable chair, a tv on a portable stand to keep your placement options open and a portable computer table so you can use the tv and computer together.

You could use one sofa as a room divider with its back toward that alone time space. Then use the larger remaining area of the room for a living room space for conversations and entertaining family and friends.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

OK, now we find the big chunk of data that was missing; NOT your furniture! The stretched MLS pix should have given that away. I suggest you post again once you get in and can take standard photos. Space and sizes are warped a little too much even for deceptive real estate practices. They're not even subtle about it!

• Haw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

There is the kitchen opening on the right and it was not added.

To explain the DrawPlan, the blues are windows. The opening facing the fireplace leads to the hallway and front door. There is a washroom door and and opening besides it. Then comes the kitchen.

• felizlady
    2 years ago

Your furniture is bulky in a narrow room. I don’t think you can “float” any of the seating pieces away from the wall. You show no tables: no coffee table or side tables. The room is gray and the furniture is beige. You need at least some pillows in a multi-color fabric which includes those colors. Add a colorful rug and window treatments. Bring your art down to eye-level or lower since people will normally be seated in the room. The “word art” may be more appropriate in the kitchen or breakfast room. The seasonal art can be rotated out with other art if you have more. I like a rug at the front door and in the seating arrangement….a room without rugs seems noisy if people have hard-soled shoes on.

• Haw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for your reply. Right now there are no tables or art. Just a sad sofa 😂. That’s why I want your ideas so I can create my own space and make it our living room.

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

Hard to say without seeing your furniture in the space. But maybe try the sectional on the window wall.

• Haw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Where should the tv be? @hu-187528210

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

I would get a swinging arm this way you can keep it over the FP
    (Maybe get the tv frame ,so it looks like art...)
    And then pull it out when watching.
    Otherwise maybe a console.

• heathermalia
    2 years ago

I feel like you need a wall - is that door the front door? The one next to the couch?

• Haw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes it’s the front door

• heathermalia
    2 years ago

Ok. Yeah I know everyone is all about taking walls down but in this case it would give you more options I think. So your living room would be more enclosed but you wouldn't be forced to have a sofa right next to your entry.

• PRO
    Amy Peltier Interior Design & Home
    2 years ago

You might be able to try a layout like you here, in a clients home we designed.

High-End Residence · More Info

High-End Residence · More Info