Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lulu0915

medicine cabinets in bathrooms?

lulu0915
2 years ago

Are people still adding these to bathrooms?

Comments (7)

• Sharon Fullen
    2 years ago

Yes, at least some version. You can buy them with and without mirror, with ready to-add art frame or as main oversink mirror. I personally dislike a mirrored cabinet perpendicular to good quality mirror(s) over vanity. So I am eliminating them in 2 bathrooms. I have free walls where I can inset between studs a taller cabinet to hold assorted bathroom, personal care and make-up products. No more pulling a bottle out to have the cold tablets fly across the room. Toilet paper will go under the sink .

• Nancy in Mich
    2 years ago

Yup! Love mine. You can get them any size or depth from WG Wood Products. Click on one and scroll down to see all the modifications you can make on them. Up to 11” deep, if you have a closet or something like that on the other side of the wall.

https://www.wgwoodproducts.com

Mine are from Restoration Hardware.

• Mrs Pete
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Are people still adding these to bathrooms?

Wrong question. Who cares what other people are doing? The right question is, "Does a medicine cabinet work in MY bathroom, given its size and its other storage space?"

I think more old fashioned is the large wall to wall mirror.

In general, those are the best, most functional mirrors. They add visual space to the room and allow the user a larger view of his or her hair and outfit. They're also cost efficient, easy to clean, and they don't give the "too busy /broken up" look that you get from several small mirrors interspersed with several sconces.

More to the point: If you're going to use a medicine cabinet, be sure you do it right. Nancy's pictures above are a great example. They sit flat against the wall and they're integrated with the design.

Be sure you pay attention to what your mirror (medicine cabinet or not) will reflect; for example reflecting a window, a pretty shower curtain or a piece of art is good ... reflecting the toilet is bad.

• Augusta Byron
    2 years ago

Nancy, I installed the same Restoration Hardware medicine cabinet in my last apartment. Beautiful and well-made, so am thinking of using the same medicine cabinet in my bathroom renovation in my new apartment.

I am deciding between the polished chrome I bought last time (the one in your photo) or the satin nickel finish. Not fond of nickel finishes, they always look a bit yellow to me, but I recall that the polished chrome was tough to keep that polished look.

PS: Where to all the "no medicine cabinet" people keep their toothpaste and toothbrushes? Do they carry them around in their pockets? ;-)

• Helen
    2 years ago

I installed a medicine cabinet when I did a gut remodel. It has a door that is a miniature of the doors in my bathroom vanity.

I have a lot of storage in my bathroom but in my experience - or at least for my needs - nothing replaces the functionality of a medicine cabinet for smallish items that you need to access. This is especially true because I can see the label just by opening the door whereas storage in my drawers means I really can only see the tops of items that would typically be stored in a medicine cabinet.

FWIW I also have a mirror that runs wall to wall from the counter to the ceiling but it has differentiated treatments so it isn't just a plain mirror like I had before the gut remodel. It's very functional and it also adds a feeling of light and space in my relatively small master bath. I have a hanging mirror in the guest bath - it's a repurposed antique stained glass window - I added a mirror in the middle.

Here is my medicine cabinet and wall mirror - it might be difficult to see but the treatment on the left has mirrored pieces on top of the wall mirror in an iconic Art Deco design and the portion to the right which is where I have a "vanity" section in lieu of a second sink has additional LED lighting and a mirror portion on top of the wall mirror which is beveled.

This is the guest bath which has just a hanging mirror. It doesn't have a medicine cabinet because there is no added functionality for it in the guest bath.

• Nancy in Mich
    2 years ago

Augusta, I am pretty sure that my medicine cabinets are satin nickel. Yes, they look like chrome. It has a very lightly brushed finish and I swear it is not chrome.