Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tduds

My basement just isn't right

Toni
2 years ago

We recently installed a new floor in our basement. I'm not sure how to finish decorating the room. Do you like the book case? How do you feel about the color of the coffee table? How can I complete the TV wall? I have a lot of ideas but I don't feel like they go together. I'm not a fan of the grey coffee table top (it's metal, so I'm not sure if it could be painted?). I feel like there are too many colors in the room but then, I thought about making the wall behind the TV an accent wall somehow. Wood? wallpaper? Textured? Faux painting? And where do I place artwork? I'm drowning here and could use a life ring!

Comments (20)

• partim
    2 years ago

I don't think you have too many colours, and what you have so far looks good. Move your rug forward towards the TV so that only a foot of it is under the sofa.

Repeat the red in your wall art but I wouldn't do a feature wall for the TV. Honestly I think you're almost done - just add people and some more wall art.

Unless you're going to be doing a lot of reading in the room I'm not a fan of the bookcase as a decor item. They tend to just accumulate stuff, and seldom look as pulled-together as they do in professional photos.

• Toni
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for your feedback. All good points! I'll continue on my journey!

• jck910
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

If you need the bookcase to store games, etc I would get another one. That one looks skimpy alone. Agree about pulling the rug towards the TV. Personally I think the TV wall is like a dark hole. I would have used a brown console much wider than that one. The floor is lovely (so glad it's not gray lol).

• Sammie J
    2 years ago

It would help to have dimensions. Right now it appears the room is kinda divided in two (tv/sofa, table/bookcase) instead of being one cohesive space.

If possible, I would move the sofa back and use a much larger rug to ground the space. That will also give the recliner a bit of breathing room and make its placement feel more intentional. Try the bookcase on wall on the other side of the door, and try the artwork on the wall where the bookcase currently sits.

What is the purpose of the "table" along the wall? Can it be used as a sofa table, or is it too long?

• Toni
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Sammie. The pictures make it seem more divided. The rug is new so we would prefer to make it work without replacing it.
    Here's a picture with the bookcase on the other wall. We weren't fans of it there.
    The "table" is a 14' shuffleboard table so it's not able to be used as a sofa table.
    We are planning to move the rug up a bit.

• AGKY
    2 years ago

Congrats on the new flooring--how nice to have a basement room! I'm jealous! In addition to the above suggestions, I would add some additional (or replacement) pillows that pull in the cream color of the rug which would also provide some light contrast to the sofa. I don't see a single lamp! Get some lamps in there! Maybe some side tables too. In my opinion lamp lighting makes a house a home and provides coziness. Large red artwork on the empty walls to bring in the red of the sofa would be wonderful. Finally, I know you didn't ask for opinions on the wall paint, but it looks like a greenish beige. I feel like a good cream color would work better with your medium toned brown floors and rug as I don't see that the wall color relates to anything else in the room. Alternatively a dark wall color could be fun if you want to embrace the "theater room" aspect of the basement!

• Toni
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Amy!
    I was playing around with pillow colors and also thought a light color would be a good choice.
    As far as lamps, there are no floor outlets and with the couch away from the walls the cords would be problematic. But I totally agree with you and love the cozy feel of lamp lighting.
    The paint color is BM Pashmina. It's a little warmer greige. Not sure I could convince the hubby to repaint at this time but down the road maybe? I will keep your advice handy!
    Thanks again!

• Toni
    Original Author
    2 years ago

To jck910: I love your suggestion to use a larger brown console. I'm going to start looking for a new one now! Thanks!

• AGKY
    2 years ago

@Toni RIGHT, outlets! Hahah. Wish we didn't need them for lamps. You could put some floor lamps in the corners at least if you have outlets nearby for nighttime TV watching. I like the light pillow and blanket--looks great with the sofa and rug!

• User
    2 years ago

the rug is pretty, but I don't like the way the brown chair is not on it. can you get a bigger rug that encompasses the entire tv space? a rug big enough for all that might wind up also being under the TV stand, but I think that would look fine. it would define that area and make it feel cozy.

also, you need more tables. while people are playing shuffleboard, they'll need places to set their drinks and stuff. add a small side table between the couch and chair. a console cabinet at the far wall (which could also double as storage for games and whatnot). hang a large piece of art above it.

Lighting: personally I think can lighting is not cozy at all and especially terrible for watching TV. I'd put table lamps, floor lamps and/or pendants in every corner and use those instead. make sure they're dimmable in case you want to watch TV in a darkened room. you'll need to experiment with placement in order to keep the glare off the screen.

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

I definitely agree with pulling rug completely out from under couch - it looks too skimpy the way it is now - moving it towards TV will fix the proportions. Also like the lighter color pillows. Great idea for a brown toned TV console - will unite the browns of coffee table & book case. You said you don’t like metal top of table - i think it’s a good accent as is. I’d like a table by the side of recliner too. What I’m curious about is what the other end of the room looks like - will you show us? Is there a third & fourth picture over the shuffleboard table?

ETA: I also do like your wall color!

• partim
    2 years ago

A few plug-in wall sconces would give you attractive indirect light by washing the walls with light. No wiring, no cords to trip on.

• Sammie J
    2 years ago

Yup - not a fan of the bookshelf in either location. If you need storage, maybe something like this would be a good option for games, etc. It is more to scale for the room.

I'd center the shuffleboard table between the sofa and wall if possible. Re: pillows - you need various colors/textures - plus an accent color. Some ideas...

• PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    2 years ago

Change the coffe table for a glass one or an ottoman in a cream shade. The bookshelf looks lost, too small for this wall, maybe on the other side of door ? Or change it for a wider one. add a big tree plant in the corner or window wall. Add some pattern cushions, green, cream . Do not be afraid to mix patterns. Do you need the arm chair ? i would get rid of it and keep only the sofa. maybe a bean bag instead ?

• Toni
    Original Author
    2 years ago

You all are so helpful! Thank you! I love your ideas!
    Okay here are a couple more shots of the basement. And also a shelf idea to use on the wall by the table (opposite of the bar area).

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Ok so the bookcase is more amber than the brown shuffleboard cover - but I like that they're both plain - they can be background items?! I like what I see of the coffee table - an earthy pebble color?

oh bookcase nearer tv seems away from activity...

"Soccer Kick" HD Curved Steel Wall Art · More Info

"Slowpoke Snail" Canvas Wall Art · More Info

"Imagine Believe Achieve" HD Curved Steel Wall Art · More Info

"Assahrij" UV Ink Print on Brushed Aluminum, 40"x40" · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Regular, not dainty...

Kira Home Akira 80" Arc Floor Lamp, 3-Way Switch, Beige Burlap Drum Shades · More Info

• Toni
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Beth H. Thank you, that is a ton of helpful information. I'm going to need a few minutes to process all of that!

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

The basics are all good but what makes a room inviting are the “accessories”. Beefing up the tv wall and bar area, adding more pillows and taking out the skimpy bookcase so that area can be re-worked will make a huge difference. I love the red couch and your floor!