Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_392600661

Newbie question on Bosch driller

Jacky Black
2 years ago

Hi, I discovered a old Bosch driller in my garage and I have been trying to use its drill bits (the small ones on the left in my pic) to drill holes in some MDF without much success. The drill bits do not seem to be able to penetrate the MDF easily. Someone told me the drill bits are the wrong ones because they are used to drill concrete. Just wondering whether anyone can verify this new bit of information. Thank you again.

Comments (11)

• recordaras
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

That’s a hammer drill meant for drilling into solid surfaces like brick/concrete etc. You can look up the manual for that model number to see if it is a combo model that has a “regular drill” mode or a dedicated hammer drill.

ETA: And yes, the Impact line is meant for the hammer drill function, if you want to screw into wood you’d need different bits

• kudzu9
    2 years ago

As recordaras notes, it is a hammer drill...but you can use it for wood. You need to buy a regular set of bits. You also need to make sure that you have the directional switch in the correct position and not reversed. This switch is the red button above the trigger and, when it is in the correct position, the drill bit will rotate clockwise as viewed from above.

• Jacky Black
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for the kind replies, btw, can the Bosch Impact drill bits I took photos of be used to drill holes in concrete?

• millworkman
    2 years ago

"can the Bosch Impact drill bits I took photos of be used to drill holes in concrete?"

Yes, that is one of the most prominent things the hammer drill was designed for.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    2 years ago

What millworkman and most likely you cannot use that drill to drill in concrete unless the drill has the switch (usualy at the top of the drill) to switch from regular drill to hammer drill, without it you will need some "elbow grease".

• Jacky Black
    Original Author
    2 years ago

T

his is what the top of the driller looks like.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    2 years ago

Yes, you can use that drill with the switch set to hammer using bits you have to drill concrete but to drill wood the switch should be in the position you have in the picture, but you need different bits intended for wood, etc.

Good luck

• recordaras
    2 years ago

It looks like it’s missing the front handle which would make holding it when drilling into concrete quite difficult I would think.

• kudzu9
    2 years ago

I've got a hammer drill with a removable handle like that. I haven't had a problem using it with the handle removed, which I've done a number of times when drilling concrete in tight spaces and the handle would have been in the way. It's helpful, but not critical.

• recordaras
    2 years ago

That’s good to know! I’ve never actually used a hammer drill (just seriously considered getting one a few projects ago) and I assumed that the “hammering” impact was strong enough that you’d need two hands to stabilize it. :)

• kudzu9
    2 years ago

recorderas-

It feels different from a regular drill, but there's simply a noticeable vibration from the hammering...it doesn't jump around like a mini-jackhammer. I've found the handle mainly useful when drilling into hard concrete and it's easier to maintain the drill orientation with one hand on the drill and one on the handle, rather than both hands on the drill since it takes a bit longer to drill into concrete/masonry.