Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_747777

10' multi-slide door with 3 panels?

Remodel Addict
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi all

We are about to start on a remodel. We are creating a new family/media room with a 10" opening (with views onto the city)

Have a few quotes for bi-fold doors but for various reasons they will limit space we have on the new deck.

So looking for a 10' multi-slide door with 3 panels, this should allow us to push two back and still achieve a large opening. Does anyone make 10' wide 3 panel patio doors?

Thanks

Ben

Comments (23)

• Seabornman
    2 years ago

Try Marvin

Remodel Addict thanked Seabornman
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

Probably almost any company that makes sliding doors or you could do 2 fixed panels and 2 in the center that open probably a lot less money but the ones you want are doable from almost every sliding glass door company/ Andersen makes the multi glide you could check that out.

• Mittens Cat
    2 years ago

Did you try Western Windows? We have a 16' opening and did four panels (two sliding, two stationary). Really happy with them two years in. Originally my husband wanted to do the folding style. I'm happy I changed his mind. ;-)

• strategery
    2 years ago

Gotta see these 10-inch doors.

• Remodel Addict
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Mittens Cat - I will take a look thanks.

• calidesign
    2 years ago

The regualr sliders are so much better than bi-folds, as they take up less space and also allow you to have screens. I've had large sliders with two stationary doors on each end, like the example above, with screens that can be used in the middle with both doors open or moved to the stationary ends if you want it fully open.

Remodel Addict thanked calidesign
  • Remodel Addict
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thinking 3 panel where two panels slide over the first to maximise the clear opening. Looked at the 2 stationary either side and they were OK but not our favorite.

• calidesign
    2 years ago

Consider how they will function and if you want screens. Even living in an area with few few flying bugs, I wouldn't want a wide open doorway and no screen option. Unless maybe the 3 sliding panels has that option?

• Remodel Addict
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We are in San Francisco, so not usually a need for screens.

• Mittens Cat
    2 years ago

@Remodel Addict, fwiw my husband insisted we didn't need screens (we're in coastal SoCal), but I'm glad I forced the issue and got them added on at the last minute.

Granted, part of my motivation was our old cat, who we didn't want wandering out into the night. But as in SF, we also have local critters (raccoons, et al) paying our yard visits at night and I didn't want any surprise visitors inside, either. :-D

I know it's not that buggy in SF, and your cooler weather probably means you won't have your windows open during all waking hours like we often do. But even one fly buzzing around my kitchen is annoying to me, so we have doors open/screens closed about 90% of the time. Just something to consider.

• calidesign
    2 years ago

I agree ^. You can get bees or flies inside, but also lizards, mice, or rats. Especially because the weather is usually nice enough that you want the fresh air coming in, day and evening.

• Remodel Addict
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So prices are in.

BiFold - $16k Marvin Ultimate

Multistack - $23k Marvin Ultimate

4 panel slide with 2 fixed either side - $7k Marvin Elevate

• calidesign
    2 years ago

To me, that would be an obvious decision, especially after seeing the prices.

• millworkman
    2 years ago

4-panel slider does give you much clear opening in the center. You will not even have 5' with both panels open...........

• Remodel Addict
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yep - Clear opening on the 4 panel is a question. Going to drop into the supplier tomorrow morning and make a decision.

• Mittens Cat
    2 years ago

Those prices seem kinda high to me (I'm in coastal Orange Co., so probably not much different than SF). Maybe it's that everything has skyrocketed in the last 2 years (and..."the supply chain"). But I presume you shopped around. I believe our Western Windows 16' span came in around $4K. Perhaps your window opening is taller than our 8'er, though?

Remodel Addict thanked Mittens Cat
  • Remodel Addict
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Next step is to start looking at alternatives but we are pressed for time due to the long lead times on many products, some of the larger Marvin doors are now at 6 months lead time 😳. With an 8 month remodel we need to get some of these decisions made quickly.

• Mittens Cat
    2 years ago

@Remodel Addict, I hear ya. Unlike window coverings, backsplash tile and a bunch of other stuff I haven't managed to do yet, windows and doors are not something one can put off! Unless you really, really love fresh air 24/7, ha. Good luck!

• Remodel Addict
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Mittens Cat We are going to spend time this evening really working out the difference between a 8' and 10' door. We have a great view of downtown SF and the bridge etc but due to houses either side it is narrow. We may find there is not much to give up with an 8' opening

• Remodel Addict
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Decided to go with an 8x8 marvin slider and picture windows either side. Total cost will be about $8k vs $30k and give us 90% of the benefit.

• Remodel Addict
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Finally decided on an 8x8 slider then a 2ft picture window. Could not go wider due to a sheer wall on the left hand side. Looks great now they are both in and we have no regrets

• Mittens Cat
    2 years ago

Congrats. I'm sure this size will also save you $ on window coverings if you end up doing them.