Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amandaclured

How to transition to a no shoes home?

Mandy Cluette
2 years ago

I know this topic gets debated all over the internet, and respect everyone’s personal beliefs but my mind is made up and want to make our home a no shoes house when our new carpet is installed later this month. After researching all the reasons why it’s a good idea, I haven’t seen any discussions out there about how to go from a shoes on house to an all shoes off one. Anyone out there with a no shoes rule have any advice at how to get everyone on board?

Comments (14)

• Amanda Clured
    2 years ago

I think you’re making a good decision. I have had a shoes off policy in our home for years and highly recommend it, it keeps the home much cleaner.

My advice is simple but you’ll need to communicate to people that your home has a new rule. When we started the no shoes thing I remember discussing why we were going to do it with my kids, and to my surprise were actually in favor of it. The kids agreed that they would tell their friends when coming over as I would with mine. Their friends have never been a problem. My kids usually just say “shoes off” as they are coming in the door and removing their own shoes.

When I have adult friends over I try to let them know when I invite them. I’ll usually just make it casual and part of instructions to the house whether it’s a text or verbal. I just say “feel free to bring slippers or socks if you want, we’re a no shoes inside type house.” If you have people show up that you haven’t had a chance to let them know your preference don’t feel awkward about just politely asking at the door. People usually see us in socks and a pile of shoes and just go ahead and take their shoes off too. If someone doesn’t do it automatically I’ll ask by saying “hi come on in, let me take your coat and you can leave your shoes anywhere on this rug.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago

Just say no. Really - just tell your guests that they should leave their shoes by the door before they come in. Don't make excuses about why - no one cares because it won't change their mind about whether they like it or not, and it might actually be insulting (I'm insulted, even while I comply). If you are having a semi-formal event, be sure to warn people ahead of time so that they don't bother matching shoes to their outfit :)

• sushipup1
    2 years ago

Tell all potential visitors your house rules, and repeat yourself often. And be open minded about the many people who must wear shoes for support or who have difficulty removing/putting on shoes and socks.

• Momof5x
    2 years ago

We never wear shoes inside our house just slippers, you could have family members
    change from shoes to slippers at the front entrance door. Formal living room is near main door so guests are not expected to remove shoes .

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

If I or my crew work in your home, we're wearing work boots inside and out. We'll put canvas down, but we aren't pulling booties on and off with every trip to the truck. We aren't negotiating this either or here's your deposit back.

And we're not tripping over that pile of shoes in your threshold either. Clean 'em out please.

• Justine D
    2 years ago

We started taking our shoes off at the door in the early days of the pandemic and also wanted to transition our home to a no shoes place. I’m finding it’s not as awkward or difficult as I would have thought. As a family we sat down and discussed this new rule and why we were doing it. My kids surprisingly were on board with it. My daughter indicated she has several friends where she has to take her shoes off in their home, which I did not realize. The kids seem to just let their friends know as they come in by saying “we have a shoes off rule in our house now so just leave your shoes here.”

I am handling my friends by trying to explain it when I extend the invite. I just say something like “can’t wait to have you over again, btw we’re doing the shoes off at the door thing now so I hope you don’t mind taking your shoes off when you come over.”

• mjlb
    2 years ago

Our house is 'no shoes', except for tradespeople where it's really not practical. We don't "entertain" - but for someone who does, wouldn't it be odd for 4-inch stilettos to be removed? Especially if shoe was the key accessory? I'd also be thinking about my feet getting stepped on at a cocktail party type of event (post-pandemic, obviously).

• User
    2 years ago

We live in an area where no one wears shoes in the house. I grew up thinking shoes us the house was a TV thing!
    I’d mention it when you invite people over we got a visit, remind them when they come in the food but for parties I would make an exception!

• Julie Hazard
    2 years ago

Hi Mandy!

We have always been a "no shoes" house. Though I have run into some problems with that with older relatives who need the support and cushion for their feet and bodies. So I have two recommendations for you.

First is for yourself and your own family. Be sure that you have a space right by the entryway that you can actually sit down to take shoes off and a space to store the shoes.

The second is for visitors. As mentioned above, many of my visitors cannot remove their shoes due to age or body problems. Therefore, having shoe covers near the entryway for those visitors is a great option. You can buy them on Amazon. They are just covers that any good construction worker would put over their shoes before entering your home. You may also be able to find them with medical equipment like masks and scrubs. They are easy to slip on and off and then just throw away. Only thing is, you will still need a space for them to sit down to put the covers over their shoes. Hope this helps!

• Lynda (Zn9b/23 - Central CA Coast)
    2 years ago

We've always been 'no shoes' in the house. We do make exceptions for parties, guests or trades people. I agree with Julie, it is key to have a bench in the entryway and a place to neatly store shoes. I also like to keep a pair of flip flops outside the back door, for visiting the garden.

• Kelly O’keefe
    2 years ago

We have a pretty strict shoes off rule in our house. We’ve been doing it for so long it just feels weird to wear shoes in the house. Whenever we have people over I find most people will ask if they should take their shoes off. I think when people see shoes near the door and us in socks or barefoot they just assume the rule. If someone doesn’t make a move on their own I am not afraid to ask. I just say “so glad you’re here, please come in, we don’t wear shoes in the house, so feel free to put yours here on the rug.

• Elena McCoy
    2 years ago

The house with no shoes rule should have mostly carpet or rugs even in hallways and bathrooms or kitchen. IT feels great to the feet. If You dont You better offer each visitor a new pair of slippers, so they dont walk barefeet on tile or cold surfaces.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

"I am not afraid to ask. I just say “so glad you’re here, please come in, we don’t wear shoes in the house, so feel free to put yours here on the rug."

No, you are afraid to ask, because you didn't actually ask them. You took the passive aggressive route of pretending something you require is something that they asked you about, as if a) it was their idea (where should we put our shoes after we take them off), and b) you have given them the option whether or not to take them off (since you're going to have to take them off, you can put them here). You're not even taking the direct approach of "please take your shoes off and leave them here".