Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_794657087

Would running reverse osmosis water to a pot filler be a bad idea?

Sienna
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We are getting a Kinetico K5 Water Station and would like to run an RO water line to a pot filler that will be situated next to a cooktop. Our plumber is advising against the idea. Would anyone care to explain why? Thanks!

Comments (25)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

Skip the pot filler. Total waste. You still have to EMPTY the pot somewhere. It's a 1/2 convenience .......at best

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I agree forget the pot filler and save yourself no end of trouble . BTW we have the Kinetico filter and I love it but those filters are expensive. Even commercial kitchens rarely have pot fillers they make no sense since carrying the hot water is really the issue. BTW we only have the fiter on our drinking water from a separate faucet

• kaseki
    2 years ago

I have a Brizo stainless steel pot filler next to our prep sink, and it works fine. No corrosion is noticeable. It gets RO water along with a second Brizo dedicated faucet at the main sink, our SZ freezer ice maker, a dedicated brass faucet at my family room sink, also used for orchid watering can filling, and my centrifugal humidifier.

All the relevant plumbing uses PE tubing and John Guest style plastic fittings.

My RO water tests just slightly alkaline. If yours proves to be acidic, then it would be important to use a proper post conditioner cartridge to make it slightly alkaline if it is to come in contact with susceptible metals, like Chinese-made PEX fittings.

RO can be useful in removing harmful (to humans) water contaminants not captured in common charcoal filters. And it provides a pure baseline for orchid watering with or without fertilizer additives. It removes almost all the ground limestone or whatever the municipal water works adds to the water by US Govt. decree to make the water significantly alkaline. This alkalizing material otherwise is sprayed out with the humidifier moisture to form a dust covering on everything.

Using a series dual RO cartridge configuration, and brine flow powered pump(s), the waste to RO ratio can be reduced below 3.0. How much water is going to be used per day anyway? Exclusive of the humidifier in the winter, I would doubt that we use more than two or three gallons per day of RO. Only in a desert would a few gallons of waste water matter, and if you really want it, it is still suitable for various purposes where it could be used, as its salt content is only modestly higher than before filtering. (Who waters, or even can water, their plants and lawns to exactly the needed amount and no more?)

RO recurrent cost is mainly the RO cartridges, the chlorine removing pre-filters, and water "polishing" post filters.

• Angel 18432
    2 years ago

Patricia - Never thought of it that way - so true. You have to carry the full pot of water/soup off the stove, so what's the problem putting a full pot of water on.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

Until someone makes a range with a BIG PLUMBING HOLE?? They really are rather useless : ) and a waste of money

• delray33483
    2 years ago

Filtered water has a whole range of "clean" There is very clean distilled water (DI) and there is RO water and they arent the same. The K5 water is less agressive than DI water but i would still want plastic piping

your move on the pot filler and its connection. i would just carry the pot over full of RO water as needed

RO water does take some time to replenish the tank so be aware that it will run out faster than you think

• Jake The Wonderdog
    2 years ago

What, exactly, is in your water that you need R/O?

I'm not talking generalities, I'm asking what is specifically in your water that you must remove with R/O?

Pot fillers are a waste or worse. I have no desire to use water that's been sitting in a pipe for a week or more. There's no drain to flush it either. There's no drain in case of a plumbing issue. No thanks. You would have to make a ton of soup and pasta to even remotely justify that - and even then it doesn't make sense because you still have to drain the pasta water. It's a pretentious decor item that doesn't get used and has to be cleaned because it's right above the cook top.

R/O is usually unnecessary unless you have tested your water and have a specific issue (lead or nitrates, for example). Or are you are growing orchids (who knew?) Lord only knows how orchids get R/O water in the wild.

Look, don't get sucked into the water filtering nonsense. If you don't have a specific issue but generally want better tasting / smelling water that's significantly cleaner - get a good quality carbon filter that will operate at 2 gpm or better for your cold water faucet. Don't forget to pipe it to your fridge also.

• kaseki
    2 years ago

First, my pot filler is over a sink, not the cooktop. Angel's comment occurred to me when I was designing the kitchen. I use RO everyday even when the humidifier is not in use.

Second, my water is supplied by a nearby municipality from a lake used for multiple purposes. Contents include mtbe and endless organic materials.

Third, the municipal treatment, which is quite thorough in my view, ends up putting chloramine, soda ash, and fluoride into the water. Viruses and cyanobacteria should be killed by the ozonation that they use, but effectiveness is unknown.

Fourth, RO water is closer to rainwater (used by most wild orchids) than municipal water. I don't want to use aggressively alkaline water.

Fifth, I think I mentioned suppression of dust from the humidifier. This remains even after whole house filtering with a 1 micron filter.

Published regulated contaminant listing. Unregulated contaminant monitoring is also performed but the results require some effort to acquire.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

We had RO system at our kitchen special faucet in our last home. The maintenance cost was huge. We did use it but we didn’t see or feel any great advantage. We were renting so our owner had to bear that cost but it was a good lesson. They also had a whole house water filter/conditioning system. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Angel 18432
    2 years ago

Interesting: over sink not cooktop.

As to the quality of water, I cannot comment.

I buy distilled or spring water in a large bottle for drinking and making ice cubes.

Tastes so much better than water from the tap.

• Sienna
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Kaseki, may I ask why you don’t use a centralized humidifer attached to your furnace instead? With the right furnace filter, I assume you could filter any mineral from municipal water that would otherwise be aerosolized throughout your home with a portable humidifier and undistilled water.

We also are looking at a Brizo pot filler, but I may reconsider now after reading these comments. I kinda agree that it is a bit superfluous.

Jake, I agree that RO water can be overkill sometimes, and I would much rather drink alkaline water than acidic water, but our hard municipal water tastes gross from the excess geosmin and chlorine/chloramine.

Angel, I would strongly reconsider the idea of drinking distilled/demineralized water.

• kaseki
    2 years ago

I have a hydronic hot water system, not blown air. If I had hot air heating, a furnace filter would have a significant pressure loss, I imagine, if it could filter sub micron 'dust' from the humidifying water.

My humidifier is moveable, but not all that portable, considering that it has an attached water line and power line that is controlled by a wall humidistat. It can do a couple of gallons per hour of moisture in the form of fog. The air flow I maintain quickly evaporates the fog. Even so, if allowed, nearby cabinets slowly gain over a winter a fine patina of white coating. This is presumably from the remaining material in the RO water after the household 1 micron filter and the RO filtering plus whatever room dust is in the air that is pulled into the humidifier.

• Jake The Wonderdog
    2 years ago

Orchids aside, which is a pretty specific use case, a good carbon filter does a great job of removing chlorine / chloramine, VOC's and addressing taste and odor. You can get them NSF certified that will operate at standard water flow (2 gpm) and typically last a year without maintenance.

• anj_p
    2 years ago

Regarding a pot filler - there have been threads ad nauseum on this board on both sides of the issue. I love mine and use it all the time. I don't know about you but I use water at my stove way more than just when I make pasta or soup. Even for uses not specific to cooking. I use it almost every time I cook with a skillet (cast iron or stainless) to deglaze so clean up is easy. Or if I need a splash of water if things are looking too dry. I also don't see why how often it gets used makes much of a difference - my laundry room faucet only gets used once a week but that doesn't mean I find it pointless.

Whether or not R/O is worth it? Couldn't tell you, but we are building in the area where 3M contaminated all the groundwater with PFAS. The city says it's been cleaned up but fool me once... We're going to purify the heck out of our water. Regardless, we're not running the R/O to the potfiller. I think mostly it's because the quantity required is too much for a R/O filter.

• opaone
    2 years ago

Some food (and drink) do not do well w/ RO due to the lack of minerals.

Being unsure how well the new softener and filter in our new house would do we also installed an RO system. Fortunately our filter appears to be doing a good job w/ Chlorine and other stuff so we use that for most drinking and cooking. We've played with both and there seems a definate difference. Whether that's a true difference or psychological I don't know. Chef's I know seem to steer clear of RO.

• kaseki
    2 years ago

While minimalist RO systems comprise a prefilter and RO membrane filter, and have low flow rates as a result, where serious flow is needed a storage tank is appropriate. I have both a 2 gal (guess at this point) and a larger 15 gal well pump storage tank. Normally, for balanced pressure, the tank bladder is filled with air to half the expected water pressure so the actual water storage is half the tank volume. My RO pressure is around 60 psi.

Mineralized water (natural or augmented) will taste better than RO water, which has no taste, so long as the mineralized water lacks various chlorine compounds or in some places, sulfur compounds. And I agree that in many circumstances and uses, charcoal filtering will be sufficient.

Our original town water came from wells with significant iron. When heated the chlorine reacted with the iron to form a black precipitate.

• Sienna
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Kaseki, perhaps you should develop a way to feed that humidifier of yours with distilled water rather than RO water. Your household filter won’t be capturing sub-micron particulates that are being aerosolized from your RO water. (For example, CaCO3 particulates with sizing at less than half a micron.) I imagine this humidifier isn’t helping your indoor air quality. I’d be concerned about breathing in all that particulate matter over the long-term.

• HU-253353199
    last year

I'm thinking of putting a pot filler in my coffee station and using the RO line. It makes coffee taste so much better and we are filling the coffee machine on a DIALY basis. What type of pot filler should I use then if we are using RO line? Do they make one for RO line?

• opaone
    last year
    last modified: last year

There are a few problems with RO water. It can cause damage to your coffeemaker (yeah, seems backwards but true), temp probes in some coffeemakers don't work right due to the lack of minerals in the water, and RO water does not taste as good as proper water.

If RO does taste better then what you're comparing against is much worse than it should be so you should look at a better filter for your water, not RO.

• kaseki
    last year

I think a distilled water generating system suitable for all my RO outlets would be impressive, and significantly power hungry.

I find "tasteless" RO water very good for making tea; better than just charcoal filtered water with particulate prefilter. However, that test was decades ago, so I can't (and am unlikely to) do a modern direct comparison. My house is prefiltered at 1 micron, and the RO system is further prefiltered with one micron and by charcoal. I was recently wondering about the pore size distribution in the RO filters, so I can't comment on that.

Loooong before I would worry about CaCO3 (which I think the water supply puts into the water at somewhat largish sizes, I would worry about ~ 5-10 nm corona virus spike proteins being shed everywhere by a large fraction of the population. Every one of those ingested wants to bind to one of a body cell's ACE2 receptors unless thwarted by enough D3.

Normally, RO systems do not remove 100% of the chemicals in the water. In my case, there is enough residual alkalinity to keep the RO water slightly alkaline. This makes it less likely to attack brass in plumbing fixtures. A pure stainless steel fixture should be fine. I don't think most fixture manufacturers will claim to support RO use in general, or RO that they haven't tested, except in the cases where sink fixtures specific to an RO system are supplied. As it happens at my family room "bar" sink, I have a fully brass fixture fed by RO water that I took apart after several years use. I did not see any signs of corrosion.

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    last year

RO water strips minerals from your body. It is not ideal drinking water unless the RO system remineralizes the water before you drink it.

• kaseki
    last year

In spite of the now vast public commentary by people selling minerals and remineralizer devices for water, and the equally vast counter commentary by people selling RO systems and distillation systems, one's kidneys operate by excreting blood plasma from which the kidneys have reabsorbed whatever minerals the body needs that are available. If Ca or Mg ions are needed, they will be retained as necessary independent of whether the replacement water has some on none, or even whether those in the water are in a form that the body can utilize.

More to the point, the minerals one needs are in excess of those dissolved in normal quantities of drinking water, and are generally obtained from food. Rain water will be poor in minerals, and is a water source for many who are not notably described as mineral deficient. I personally would argue that the benefits of RO water derived from variously contaminated well or municipal water sources outweigh any mineral reduction that can be easily made up.

• Jake The Wonderdog
    last year
    last modified: last year

I agree with the above^^^ to a point.

RO water is aggressive to metal piping and such. Remineralized is less so. That said, I completely agree that you don't need reminerlized RO water.

A Handy 1 is correct in saying that:

"RO is swatting a fly with a howitzer. It is very rarely ”necessary”. A good filtration system is more than enough."

Unless you know you have an issue that can only be corrected with RO water, don't do it. Problem solved. All the rest is BS.

• Aqua Kent Singapore
    last year

A water conditioner or softener system may be a better option for reducing the hardness and minerals in the water.