Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sc_houuzz_21

Bad Tile Job - Looking for Advice

sc_houuzz_21
2 years ago

We had part of our kitchen backsplash installed and in my opinion not done correctly. All along the edges are pieced together and some of the tiles set on top of each other, leaving no room for grout. Can anyone help me determine what the installer did wrong to have it end up this way?

Comments (8)

• MaryBocaTX
    2 years ago

Hopefully, Beth H will weigh in. She’s the ”Queen of the Perfect Herringbone Install.” You should see what she did in her own home - perfection.

She’ll be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck!

• Stella Mengels
    2 years ago

if you grout it with a light color you will hardly see it anymore.
    It then seems more rustic and authentic....

• BP DIYer
    2 years ago

I’m not a big fan of herringbone because it is tough to get it right and look nice. I’d grout it and then decide. If you match the grout to the tile the best you can many of the issues will disappear.

• Melissa R
    2 years ago

it doesn't look bad at all. I'm not sure if tiles are touching, which I think would be the fault of the manufacture because of the layout on the mesh, or if some of the mortar squished between the tiles. If it's mortar they can file out a bit and the grout can go on top, if it's placement on the mesh, not much can be done.

If this were my backsplash I'd get it grouted and enjoy. I think you would lose if you choose to fight.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

The tile setter could have been more careful about the spacing but not horrible I agree probably a nice gray grout to match the gray in the tile will do the trick . IMO it will be dated in a short time and need to be replaced . I am always curious what the counter material is with those marble tiles since I really dislike real stone next to plastic quartz.

• Kate
    2 years ago

I used the exact tile for my backsplash and it was a mother to install. I ended firing the tile guy I hired and doing it myself, but it was too late by then. Your tile looks much better than mine and have to say mine looks fine grouted and done and no one notices the bad job except me.

sc_houuzz_21 thanked Kate
  • Kate
    2 years ago

*Patricia, I used the marble tiles on quartzite countertop. Wish I would have done something else, but good for now.

• felizlady
    2 years ago

Obviously not done by a tile professional. When I have tile work done, I hire a person who works for the tile provider or a known-to-me outside pro. AND I never leave a contractor alone to work until the job is far enough along that I feel confident with the tiler’s work. The person who pays for the job has a right and an obligation to observe everything.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH