Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grace_hedgpeth

Would love exterior paint & garage door advice for mountain ranch home

Grace H
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Long-time lurker, first-time poster here. I’ve loved mining all of the fabulous advice and feedback here through the years and have learned a lot!

We’ve been in our 1960’s mountain home for a couple of years, in planning mode for updates inside and out. As it turns out, we are now faced with having to relocate so will be selling in the next year, which means I'll need to up the curb appeal to sell vs updating for me.

There are a number of things I’ll be addressing, but wanted to get your advice in two areas — 1) exterior paint colors and 2) side of house with garage doors.

The exterior is currently a peachy beige-y color (photos were taken on a cloudy day and looks taupe-ier than IRL). For listing/resale purposes, maybe best to go with a neutral scheme? The siding is old but will have to stay, the grey at the base is stucco, and the roof is Presidential Shake in Country Gray, which has warm greys/tans mixed in. Should you go all white on siding and trim with a contrasting color for stucco? Or maybe a medium taupe or grey with a creamy trim? Front door is currently a mid-tone green, which I think is fine to keep, so maybe a grey with green/celadon undertones for the siding? Ha, so many possibilities, and paint selection is not my strong suit. x_0

The garage doors will be replaced. The shop building in the back has barn doors, so to tie the house and shop together better, I’m thinking to go with barn-y garage doors, though maybe not painted green. The side of the house with the garage door is a big expanse of wall due to the roof line being almost two stories up. I feel like I need something there to break up the expanse of wall, maybe a walll-mounted pergola? Definitely a light fixture or three. Would you do one long pergola across both doors or two separate over each door? Or any other ideas? That wall is west-facing, so in full sun from early afternoon on.

We are in northern California, in the mountains, so area feels a bit “country” but not “farm-y”. Hard to tell from our lot, but surrounding homes are full of redwoods and pines. We got lucky and have a sunny and relatively flat spot. The climate is pretty mild, though we do tend towards wet and windy “winter” months with the occasional dusting of snow/hail. Lots of beating sun for 6-7 months of the year.

Thank you in advance, look forward to any advice that you may have to offer!

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

Is there anything wrong with what is there as to condition. IMO spending a lot of money on a house you are selling is not worth it since what ever you choose will still not please everyone anyway . I think some landscaping would be a huge improvement so I would start there . That driveway needs major work that is a real eyesore . The door really does not suit the huse but honestly claen it inside really well declutter if that is needed do some landscaping to add curb appeal and leave the rest for the new owners to deal with. Take some pics of the interior to get help with that if you think it needs work.

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

I agree. Landscaping and hardscaping is enough. If you want to paint the home for yourself with plans to sell in the future I’d go with a basic white.

• apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

Nice house. Does it actually need new paint because it's chipped or peeling? If not, hose it off and give the white trim a scrub when you put it up for sale.

Since you are in a drought area that may not be able get a new lawn going now, add some big pots of flowers when you sell. If it rains enough this winter even with La Nina conditions, you could consult a landscaping pro about seeding new grass.

Move the flagpole to the front door area instead of the side porch.

Get the old tree stump(s) ground out.

If the driveway needs attention, fix it before or after winter, whatever is appropriate for your area.

• Grace H
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi, great call outs, thank you!

Yes, we will be re-doing the driveway, combo of new concrete around the garage entry and connecting over to walkway leading to front door, the driveway itself will be gravel, which will look more country and fit the surrounding better, there is a ton of driveway that winds around back of the house, that much asphalt will create quite a stark look.

The paint is starting to chip in some spots so we need to paint anyway, had originally planned to do board and batten or something along those lines for ourselves, but now will just repaint. If we go white, would you keep all trim, garage doors, etc, white? Would the green door look okay with that, maybe I just paint the door as well while I'm at it? Also, totally agree the door doesn't go with the house, it was on my list to replace! Garage doors will be replaced (they're ancient and have never worked since we've moved in), I'm thinking of barn door style carriage to echo shop doors.

Currently we have a weed lawn, and not much of one at that. Our lot is a freeway for wildlife that tromps through all day/night long, in particular the deer and turkey wreak havoc on plants as well as mulch (the turkey love to dig!). But some hardy landscaping, particularly close to the house/walkway in contained small areas (due to drought, as apple_pie_order so correctly pointed out) are in the plans as we get closer to listing.

• apple_pie_order
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Talk to your agent about popular colors in your area. If there are new developments nearby, cruise the new houses with google streetview or just go for a drive.

In a dusty, windy area, the horizontal trim gets coated in dust in nothing flat. An easier color scheme to keep fresh would be a white house with medium colored trim (easier than the other way around). It doesn't need to actually be the shade of dirt from the yard.

Barn doors would be the attention getters for your house. Do you want the garage doors to be the stars? Or would you prefer to show off the front facade? Garage doors with a horizontal row of windows would be attractive. Remember that for garage doors, the barn and carriage door looks are current fads, not trends or classics.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

Sorry all those items are big ticket things and as I said no real ROI . If you must, paint the house but really it depends on the peeling issue so maybe show us that and the area that is in . Painting a house is expensive to have done and to DIY on a house that large will take weeks. I love that you are doing a gravel driveway IMO asphalt should never be allowed on home property it poisons the soil under it does not allow water to reach tree roots basically a nasty material.

• suezbell
    2 years ago

House looks nice as is. Would leave it as much a "blank slate" for potential buyers as possible -- different people want different "upgrades".

Definitely leave the garage side as is.

Remove any and all visible clutter from inside and out and clean anything/everything that might need to be cleaned.

Do what you can to make the lawn healthy and looking great -- no complicated landscaping. Since you "need" to sell to relocate, price your home to sell and spend any upgrade budget on you new home.

• Grace H
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you, everyone, I appreciate the comments, really helps to have objective input from folks with fresh eyes and experience! I've been sharing your comments with my husband and we will need to rethink a few things. Thanks, again!