Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bostonandcapecod

plantation louvered bifold doors for closet

bostonandcapecod
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Bifold doors aren't my favorite, but they are very efficient when you don't have a lot of space! For a 4' closet opening, has anyone any experience with planation louvered bifold doors? I'm a little concered that the wide slats will not looks right with 4 doors, each 12" wide. Like in the pic, but 4x rather than 2x, and 48" wide in total. Thanks.

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I would need to see the space it is going into to comment on the heavieness or not . I dislike plantation shutters so I probably find those too heavy looking just like the window coverings.

bostonandcapecod thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • M Riz
    2 years ago

Why dont you just get solid or panel bi folds, less going on. If youre in the situation that you need them to fit in a particular spot, go for something simple.

bostonandcapecod thanked M Riz
  • acm
    2 years ago

The only place I would use louvres is on a closet that requires ventillation, like a furnace closet. Otherwise, it's just busyness and dust-collection. But in just the right room it might fit in.

bostonandcapecod thanked acm
  • bostonandcapecod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, I think it will be a "paint once" deal!

• bostonandcapecod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It seems that louvered doors are out of favor, and perhaps have little function for most. In this case, they are for a Cape Cod beach house right on the ocean that is used only in summer. Humidity gets really high in summer and closets that are closed up without ventilation can breed various surface molds. Not black mold, but aspergillis-- which is relatively harlmess, but does bother many people. That has happened here before. One solution is to make sure all the doors are open when nobody is in the house, and take some risk with open windows when the ocean breeze is 95+ humidity! Other solution is louvered doors. I really dont like the ones with 1" slats (so 1880's builder grade!), so am leaning to the 2 1/4" plantation slats. Thats the story!

• bostonandcapecod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Above, 1980's. Not 1880's. In the 1880's, they probably would have used nice stuff. The ones I am looking at are 1 3/8" thick on the stiles, and they ain't cheap.

• M Riz
    2 years ago

Well that makes sense. Your home IS ON THE OCEAN! whos looking at your bifolds? lol

get the wide louvers

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

Sounds like the doors will fit in nicely given that it is a beach house and you need the closet to be ventilated. Certainly better looking than the narrow louvered variety. My concern would be how they look--4 doors in only 4'--might be a bit busy/ out of scale looking? I would want to actually see them in the 4' opening rendition. Or at least a scaled drawing.

Dust factor noted but, in your situation, the need for ventilation wins.

• bostonandcapecod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

LOL. Truth is, as I'm sure you can guess, ONLY ME. But maybe they will appreciate it on a rainy day. I might change the door opening from 48 to 36 inches, so I can use a 2 door bifold rather than a 4 door bifold. The 2 door ones would be 18" wide each, as opposed to 12" wide for the 4 doors. That may be a simpler, cleaner look. Don't have room to do double doors, unfortunately.