Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mindg

Vanity size for a small master bath reno?

mindg
2 years ago

We are redoing our small master bathroom which currently has a shower/tub combo which we are replacing with a shower. Then current vanity is a shallow depth (19") and 30" wide. We are replacing the door with a pocket door to make flow easier but will still go with a shallow depth. My question is can we increase the size of the vanity to 36" or will it make the bathroom feel more congested?

Comments (15)

• Sharon Fullen
    2 years ago

From pics, it looks like the extra 6” will require you to remove the clothes basket. Extra storage is always great but where would the basket go? So it’s a little more storage or dirty clothes hidden.

mindg thanked Sharon Fullen
  • mindg
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for your reply! We could put the hamper right outside the bathroom door on the bedroom which is spacious. Do you know of the sink would be bigger or just the countertop?

• Goldie Lesser
    2 years ago

What are the dimensions of the bathroom? Where is the shower going to be and what size?

mindg thanked Goldie Lesser
  • mindg
    Original Author
    2 years ago

There is a 27” wide alcove that the current and new toilet will sit in. The center of the toilet is 15” from the outside wall and then another 19” from center of toilet to the current vanity. The wall that the vanity is on is 52”. The room is 6’7” long and 7’ wide with the additional 11” where the toilet sits. The shower will either be the exact footprint of the shower/tub combo (32”x60”) or a little wider and shorter, 36x48.

• mindg
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The shower will be on the wall opposite the toilet and there will be a pocket door so no door swinging in as in the diagram.

• Goldie Lesser
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Ok. Based on the measurements I would do max a 43" vanity (I believe 42" is a standard size) but have it flush to the wall with the door. So leave that extra room where you have the garbage can. Then you can center your toilet in the remaining 36" You don't want it to feel super cramped. I'd have a pullout hamper in the vanity if it's important to keep in the bathroom.

If the room is 6'7" long and the tub is 5', what is in the extra 1'7"? Trying to picture your shower options.

You also want to leave 24" in front of the toilet, so I'm trying to think how that works.

• mindg
    Original Author
    2 years ago

There is a 15" floor to ceiling linen closet plus a 4" wall between the shower and closet. I don't want to lose the linen closet, plan to get new doors (top and bottom). Currently there is 32" between the elongated toilet seat and the bathtub.

• Goldie Lesser
    2 years ago

Yes, definitely don't lose that nice closet!

It sounds like you have room to go out more on the shower. So maybe do a 34x60 shower? You could put a bench in, or just buy yourself a nice bamboo bench.

I think leaving the full 60 shower with glass doors makes the room feel spacious.

How much space between vanity and shower?

• mindg
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The full dimension is 7' and if the vanity is 19" deep with counter than that leaves 5'5" for shower & space in between. With a 36" x 60" shower that would only leave 29" in between. Do you think that's enough room?

• Goldie Lesser
    2 years ago

I think it would be, although some would say it's tight. My suggestion would be to tape it out on your floor with blue tape and see how it feels to you.

• mindg
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, that's what the contractor was suggesting after the demo. He said he can make it whatever size we want. I do have to decide and order the vanity and trying to decide on width between 36" or 42". Are there vanity manufacturers that make pull out hampers?

• Goldie Lesser
    2 years ago

I'd go with the 42" and pullout because I love the idea of having the dirty clothes "hidden" from view. So when you walk in your bathroom you just see your beautiful vanity.

If you're getting a custom vanity made, the cabinet company can build it in.

If you're purchasing a vanity, you can buy the pullout separately and have the contractor install. (Obviously you need to make sure it'll fit cleanly into the vanity.

They look something like this (there are a lot of options): https://www.amazon.com/Rev-A-Shelf-Pullout-Wire-Hamper-Chrome/dp/B0016JHHQO/

• Karenseb
    2 years ago

I don't think they sell a 42 inch vanity with a hamper. i would find another spot for the hamper and use a 42 inch vanity for the extra countertop and storage.

I have had a hamper in a vanity, but the vanity was 5 feet long.

I have a large closet now that I use a couple of laundry baskets on shelves to store dirty laundry. Sure makes it easy to take laundry to the laundry room.

You could also have a custom tall cabinet with a hamper on the bottom where your linen closet is. Or you could use a door on top with an open area for a basket to fit ( similar to what you have) on the bottom.

mindg thanked Karenseb
  • mindg
    Original Author
    2 years ago

My linen closet is floor to ceiling but it's narrow so I don't think baskets or a hamper will fit in. What do you mean by a door on top? A door on top of the counter or again in the closet? Thanks for clarifying.