Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovemycorgi

White Chicken Chili for the big game!

I made this today to enjoy while watching the UMich - MSU football game. It’s a recipe I use often, and it makes a ton. It’s not spicy, so sometimes I add additional chilies depending on who’s eating it.

https://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/moms-white-chicken-chili/

Comments (25)

• socks
    2 years ago

I make it too. Such a nice alternative to "regular" chili. Looks delish.

lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan thanked socks
  • gadgets
    2 years ago

I used to make this pretty often. Got the recipe from Glenda years ago.

lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan thanked gadgets
  • lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks! I’ve been making it since my kids were little and they didn’t like any ”weird” stuff in their food. Now that they’re teens, I can add garlic, different chilies, etc and they still like it. Instead of a rotisserie chicken, I usually put raw chicken breasts in and then shred them after about four hours. I also love that there’s always enough for leftovers. :-)

• Fun2BHere
    2 years ago

@lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan, what a timely post. I was going to look up white chicken chili recipes today to make for a dinner in a couple of weeks.

lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan thanked Fun2BHere
  • nicole___
    2 years ago

I use turkey and make it after Thanksgiving with leftover turkey. ☺

lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan thanked nicole___
  • Kathsgrdn
    2 years ago

One of my favorites too. Yesterday I was craving sauerkraut with pork ribs. I eat it over rice, so I have leftovers tonight.

lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan thanked Kathsgrdn
  • LynnNM
    2 years ago

I was born and raised in SE Michigan, too! Love that state still❤️

lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan thanked LynnNM
  • Judy Good
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Husband makes white chili I make the red. I like both, yours looks great also. Nail biter game yesterday. Huge rival where I live in Michigan. Always fun and great excuse for a get together. Our friends are split down the middle as to who is their Team.

It can get very loud at times LOL

lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan thanked Judy Good
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, all! Yes, it is quite a rivalry game, isn’t it? And I have children at both universities right now, so it’s impossible for me to take sides. I was just hoping for an exciting game, and we certainly got that!!

Michigan is truly a lovely state, and the fall colors are finally showing, although some fizzled out early because of the unseasonably warm and wet weather. So glad to live here, although I might be feeling differently come February!

I’ve found I like white chicken chili better than the standard red chili. I’ve tried so many red recipes, and made my own modifications too, but at the end of the day, I don’t love it. Maybe I need to keep trying.

• happy2b…gw
    2 years ago

I have never prepared white chile but love,ycorgi's recipe looks so good that I am am anxious to make it.

lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan thanked happy2b…gw
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    2 years ago

I like white chicken chili, but I much prefer Cincinnati style chili - that is my fam's traditional New Year Day dish. With cornbread.

lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • Judy Good
    2 years ago

lovemycordi did they attend the game yesterday? My niece is a state graduate and was there.

Original Author
    2 years ago

Judy Good, yes, they were there, having the time of their lives! Of course the MSU kid had a little better time than his sibling, ha ha. It’s nice having my kids at universities so close to home. One was considering Michigan Tech in the U.P., but thank goodness decided on U of M instead. Michigan Tech would’ve been at least a nine hour drive for us to visit.

• Judy Good
    2 years ago

Where do you live? I am in Holland.

• Sooz
    2 years ago

Oh, yummmmmm!

lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan thanked Sooz
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    2 years ago

raee_gw - I had the 'famous' Skyline Chili once years ago and did not really care for it much. I guess it's an acquired taste like Scotch?

lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan thanked LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Judy, I am NE of Ann Arbor. Holland, MI is beautiful, as is the entire west coast along Lake Michigan. Some of my favorite weekend trips have happened out your way!

• artemis_ma
    2 years ago

The recipe sounds awesome, although I have no interest in big, little, or medium-sized games. Shouldn't matter, after all!

lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan thanked artemis_ma
  • l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

I too am a Michigan fan. The OTHER Michigan State University, ;) My alma mater and my Dad's. I have to root for them I guess. But my brother and mother went to U of M so it's all good at our house whomever wins. As long as it is not OSU!! ;) I live in S Central MI, lots of MI folks here, how could we not be considering the cornucopia of good food available in our state!!

We had chicken chili here too. It was a favorite of my late mother and now me. I used up some of the last yellow peppers I had from the garden in ours, and added some corn. We didn't have sour cream so I used some neufchatel cheese. It was so yum. The weather was bleak so that worked out good!

lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan thanked l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    2 years ago

“We love it topped with fritos, shredded cheese, and a dollop of sour cream”

That’s how we eat ours, too! I like the small Fritos, I crush them and sprinkle over the top of the chili. My husband likes the Scoops, which he uses to dip and scoop up the chili.

:-)

• annie1992
    2 years ago

Another Michigan girl here, I'm Northwest of Grand Rapids.

I haven't made chicken chili in a long time, I think I need to, so thanks for the reminder, it looks delicious.

Annie

lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan thanked annie1992
  • jojoco
    2 years ago

I made white bean chicken chili yesterday, loosely based on a recipe that Annie posted probably a decade ago. Basically, it is sauteed diced chicken, great northern beans, jalapenos (I now always use fresh--cook them down and they don't add too much heat--the canned ones are almost flavorless), onions, garlic and chicken broth, cumin and chili powder and s&p. If it is too thin, mash a can of beans and add it to the chili. Too thick, add a bit more broth. I've been making it for years and even won a chili contest at work with it. (First prize was a gift certificate to Chilli's restaurant, lol)

lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan thanked jojoco
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    2 years ago

Lonejack, I can't say... I grew up outside of Cincinnati, where there were/are 3 local chains famous for chili - Empress, GoldStar, and Skyline. What we had at home was a recipe supposed to be similar to Empress. The spicing is definitely different from traditional chili. Perhaps Skyline has changed since going national -- I've actually never tried it!

lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

Used up the last of my garden peppers last night for white chili. The pepper was already starting to turn, so only half of it . . . and 1 tsp. of my home made frozen roasted jalepeno puree was enough spice. Now I have my ice cube trays back!

lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan thanked l pinkmountain