Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catlover952000

Mixing historical design and new design in a kitchen design.

catlover Leo
2 years ago

I need advice on choosing a backsplash for my new kitchen design. My style is traditional with a historical flair. The cabinets will be a Shaker style in BM White Dove paint. I’ve chosen the hardware for the cabinets in polished antique brass. The countertop is Taj Mahal quartzite.
Behind the cooktop I’m having an antique fireback installed.
I’ve narrowed down three choices for the backsplash
One of them is a solid beveled design
Second is a beveled design with veining similar to the quartzite counter top.
Third is a tile that looks like a tin ceiling.
What do you think will look best ?

Comments (104)

• davitma
    2 years ago

Catlover Leo, just read through this thread. What beautiful choices you’ve made so far. We just finished a kitchen remodel and have Taj Mahal quartzite countertops and BM Swiss Coffee cabinets. We used a 2x8 subway tile that had different sheens and texture for some of the backsplash. It was a budget choice too, but looks really nice in person. I can dig up the name tomorrow if you need me to or take closeup pictures without the counter clutter.

• davitma
    2 years ago

Here’s a picture of the subway tile before the lighting went in for a better view.

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Davitma your kitchen came out so beautiful. It’s very special. I like the subway tile that you chose. It works beautifully with the TJ countertop. I can’t do what you did over the range because I’m getting the fireback. But I love the subway. I’m thinking about the whitewash brick or a subway tile. I will wait until the countertop and cabinets are up. I love the whitewash but I need a subway tile to compare also.
    I appreciate if you can give me the name and make of the subway tile you have there. It’s a great option to look at. I will definitely try out a sample.
    I also love all of your lighting. I’m looking for Oil Rubbed Bronze . Maybe they make it in that style. Really very nice. If you have that information it would be great as well. You have great taste.

• lillynbilly5
    2 years ago

Love the cabinets who makes them? I am also thinking of doing Taj Mahal quartzite in a leathered finish.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

@davitma your kitchen is gorgeous! All of the elements work together so well. I like the sheen on your subway tiles a lot.

• davitma
    2 years ago

Hi Catlover Leo thank you. I think whitewashed brick or subway tile would both be beautiful choices. When I was deciding, I loved them both too. I’ve snapped a closeup of the tile sample on the TJ quartzite for you and one of the back. I hope you can get the information about the tile from the back of the sample. It was super inexpensive, like $600 for all of the subway which enabled me to use it all the way up and over the fridge wall and above the doorway and gave me more room in the budget for the Marble mosaic tile by the range/hood. The lighting is all Visual Comfort (darlana medium pendants, classic ring chandelier, gale library sconce) I think some pieces come in bronze like the chandelier, but the others may be aged iron. I waited patiently for sales and purchased some open box specials, the lighting is a little spending, but nice quality.

Lillinbilly5 - the cabinets are custom made by Cabinet Designs of Central Florida. My husband and I came up with the design and had it priced out in semi custom Ultrcraft, Costco and the custom shop and believe it or not the best deal with all of the accessories etc. was custom.

Red Ryder - thank you.

I have been meaning to post the remodel with before and after, I don’t want to highjack Catlover Leo’s post, so I will try to do that today.

• davitma
    2 years ago

I found the manufacturer of the subway tile it is Soho Studios.

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Dear davitima you are such a helpful person. I really like the subway tile you’ve chosen. It’s beautiful with the slight off white cabinets that we both have. I will definitely look into it and find it. It looks beautiful with the TM countertop. As I said we both love the whitewash brick the most but we need an option for a subway in case it doesn’t look the way the inspiration photo looks in our home. This is very helpful. I love the sheen and texture in it. I think my husband would like it also because it has some character to it.
    I also appreciate the information on the lighting. I hope my kitchen comes out as beautiful as yours does. You really did an amazing job. Thank You.

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I found the tile on the website davitma. I emailed them if they could send a sample or tell me where they carry it. They are located in NY also like the whitewash brick company. This is a great option to compare the two different looks with the antique fireback. We are deciding that now ( witch one to choose). I’ll post a picture of the fireback once it’s ordered.

• cupofkindnessgw
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

These tiles are from Floor and Decor. Very inexpensive and lovely! Look for Itsourcasa’s navy blue and white kitchen. Some of the walls of her gorgeous kitchen are tiled too.

• davitma
    2 years ago

Hi Catlover Leo. Glad you found it. Not sure I saw where you are located. I had a local flooring shop here in the Orlando area that installed our wood, stone and tile find it for me. I did see that this site https://www.fastfloors.com/tile/soho-studio-corp/myorka-2-x-8/white/ has samples to order.

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That’s fantastic davitma. I’m ordering a sample. Thanks.

My husband and I have been looking at the firebacks for the past hour. We’ve narrowed it down to these three. We like all three the same and can’t decide. I’ve posted a picture of the hood. The pictures are not great with the coloring. They are all a medium brown. It’s coming from Europe so we can’t go in person. We’ve seen these over the years in our travels. They are unique and beautiful.
    Can the Houzz community help decide ? What do you think is best?

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

My vote is whichever looks best with the countertop. 😊 They’re all beautiful.

I’m thinking the subway tile will enhance the uniqueness of these tiles better than the brick, but we will see once you have your samples.

• davitma
    2 years ago

All three are beautiful. Are you set on the medium clay colored one? As suggested earlier, I think a black one would look spectacular and maybe be more timeless. Just my humble opinion though. One design must speak to you more than the others I am guessing. Close your eyes, what do you see when you picture it in your perfect room?

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes Red Ryder you might be right with the tile but we will see. At least two options to compare.
    I like black davitma but I have nothing at all that’s black in my home. So I’m sticking with the brown. The pictures are really bad and make them look lighter and more clay colored. I know they can be painted but I’m not sure if we should have that done. It’s antique. We are very confused but we will choose soon. I like your idea. It might help. Btw I tried to order the sample of tile from the last post but they contacted me and said they are not sending out samples anymore??? They said to contact the manufacturer and I emailed them earlier. Hopefully they will respond soon. One way or other I’ll get a sample.

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I called the local tile place near me and they carry the Soho -Studo Corp tiles. They don’t have the samples but they have a board that I can borrow once the cabinets and backsplash are in. I’ll stop there next week to look at it in person before that.

• plf12652
    2 years ago

Since you asked for a vote on the firebacks….I like the last one for a kitchen …..I can’t see the first “warrior” one in a kitchen and the second one comes in second!

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ok thanks. That helps us.

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I think I’ll paint it. It says on the site it can be painted. I like a deeper brown witch ever I choose.
    I like this one also.

• homechef59
    2 years ago

No to #1 and #2. I don't like figures staring back at me. Yes to #3 or #4. I like #3.

• rebunky
    2 years ago

Cannot wait to see how your kitchen turns out. Sounds gorgeous!

#3 gets my vote. The arch shape isn’t as rounded as some, and looks to be closest to the hoods‘ arch shape. Also I like it’s motif for a kitchen best.

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I’m agreeing so far. I think it’s a good design with the hood and nice in a kitchen.
    Thanks rebunky

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Number 3 then 4

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We chose number 3. It’s a good one for the kitchen. When it arrives from England if it looks to light it will be painted a deeper brown. Thanks everyone for the help.

• davitma
    2 years ago

Good choice. I can’t wait to see all your beautiful choices together!

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks davitma

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I just wanted to tell davitma that we decided on the tile you suggested from Soho Studio called Mayorka White. It looks so beautiful with the Taj Mahal countertop’s. We were considering the whitewash brick but the tile you told me about is just beautiful and looks beautiful with the fireback we chose. We have the fireback and it’s painted a deep espresso brown. It looks great next to the tile. They are just starting my kitchen and there’s a delay with the large picture window and faucet. When it’s all done I’ll post pictures. Thanks again davitma.

• PRO
    COCo
    2 years ago

Please take a moment to visit 1st dibs there are some amazing colorful Jugendstil tiles 1896 for sale. Many tiles in a variety of form and the way they are made

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks COCo I wish I knew about this but it’s to late we already have purchased the Mayorka White tiles. They will be installed next week. I appreciate the suggestion.

• PRO
    COCo
    2 years ago

The products chosen look sophisticated and smart , enjoy your first dinner service.

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank You much 🙏

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Photos when it’s done, please. 😉

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes I will

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

My kitchen is finished. I’m happy how it came out. The photos are on another discussion. I’ll post a picture of the discussion so you can find it. Thank You all for great advice and guidance.

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ok I’m posting here

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

More

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

More

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

More

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Picture window

• daisychain Zn3b
    2 years ago

Wow! So lovely. It really came together and suits the style of the rest of your home. You must be really pleased.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    2 years ago

OMG, that is gorgeous! I just love the fireback--you made a great choice. The whole room is beautifully done--enjoy!

• mojavemaria
    2 years ago

Beautiful kitchen!!!

• cawaps
    2 years ago

Looks amazing! You did a great job matching your cats, and they seem to appreciate it. Thanks for coming back and sharing.

• E Sl
    2 years ago

Do you know how the molding around the fireback was done? it looks so perfectly matched!

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

E SI
    I know that the contractor created a box behind the wall. I don’t know how he braced it but he did told us it’s very very secure. The piece is about 120lbs. I’m not sure about the moulding. He’s a very good carpenter I know that. He’s another close up.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Wow. It looks so beautiful, and the firebox makes it unique. The countertops are fabulous, and they match your feline babies! I know it’s been a long journey but it was absolutely worth it!

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

RedRyder thank you for your help along the way. I’m glad you like how it turned out. All of the anxiety paid off. We are very happy as well as the two fur balls. 😍

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

It’s amazing how stressful kitchen remodeling jobs are, but they also provide the biggest reward. Your wish to use the fire box from the get-go created a unique, critical feature that is so amazing. I hope you sit and smile every morning when you get your coffee. Congratulations on surviving the remodel and having a great outcome. It’s a lot of fun when people take the rest of us on the ride.

• Harold Whitaker
    last year

Wow, it looks amazing. To be honest, I don't really like to mix styles, but your design looks stunning

• catlover Leo
    Original Author
    last year

Thank You Harold for a wonderful compliment