Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arpeet_patel

Kitchen Cabinet Remodel Design Help! Light vs Dark, Inset vs. Overlay

A P
2 years ago

Hi all - firstly apologies as i'm sure many similar discussions are already out there. We are in the process of remodeling our kitchen. We think we have landed the overall design, however, are struggling with a few key aspects

1. Cabinet Color - our kitchen area is fairly open and large (about 23' x 15' - sink wall x range/fridge wall). We were thinking about painted dark grey/charcoal for the perimeter and a lighter color, perhaps white, for the island.

2. Floor color - we currently have this orangy looking oak flooring which we plan to refinish. We were going to try and get to a greyish/brown (more grey) floor.

3. Counter color - we were planning on going some sort of white with dark veining for the counters

4. Cabinet doors - not 100% sure yet but thinking inset

I've put pictures of my existing kitchen as well as a couple of designs I drew up for dark and light cabinets. Wanting to get some opinions on current design styles and thoughts on 1 to 4. Is there any style that would work better for the size of my kitchen? Will so many dark cabinets be too overwhelming? Are one size cabinets vs. staggering heights ok?

Thank you in advance for any ideas/thoughts you may have. I'm not a design expert and want to make sure I don't assume too many things before making a large investment!

Comments (20)

• missb_remodeling
    2 years ago

I personally like white- the dark looks really dark and you'll have to have some good light in that room.

That backsplash is pretty busy. You might reconsider it, unless you just absolutely love it. I'm not a designer, it is just really drawing my eyes to the backsplash when the counter and the cabinets are probably more the stars of the show.

If it were me, I'd go higher on the cabinets. Just me though. I'd maximize that space.

also with inset cabinets (which I'm choosing for my own kitchen) has seams. I'm okay with that. Sometimes you can stagger some of the cabinets forwards (like the sink, or fridge) to minimize the number of seams.

You have lots of space!

• A P
    Original Author
    2 years ago

thank you for your input. im worried also that the dark may be too dark. yes the backsplash was just random idea I selected in the design tool, definitely not what we will end up going with. I also thought about going higher, but I have 10' ceilings and what i've designed are with 42" tall cabinets. I'll consider going all the way to the ceiling, but those will just be inaccessible even with a step stool. Question about the 'seams'. Would that not be the case for overlay as well? Thanks again for your advice!

• A P
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I take it you don't like too much gray :)...I agree with what you're saying regarding coordination for sure. I'll look for other combinations. Any suggestions given the pictures I've provided? Cabinets, floors, counters - nothing is set in stone so definitely open.

• missb_remodeling
    2 years ago

The seams show more between the cabinets and the installers do try to minimize it with a kit that is provided by the manufacturer. If you google up inset cabinets and look at pictures, you should try to zoom in and look at the seams. I think there is a line of cabinets that builds the entire side in one piece - but they're not on my coast, and I'm sure their pretty expensive!

I'll say that the cabinet folks I'm working with suggested two people on the list of cabinet installers as being good at installing those types of cabinets. I'd called a different installer on their list that wasn't one of those two, and the person was not at all knowledgable. So maybe make sure that the installer is very experienced with installing inset.

Remember it's the more expensive cabinetry option too.

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

Looks like a nice, large space. Lots of potential here!!

First thing is to determine layout.
    Does the current set up 100% work for you?
    Are there any things that you would change if you can?

Something I might consider is swapping the orientation of the space.
    Maybe have the island going horizontally. So that you can enlarge it.

There is a lot of dead space. I think you can better plan out the layout for max functionality. But it will cost you more for sure.

CABINET COLOR:

I definitely do not like the dark.
    The white is a very nice, versatile option.
    What do you think of two tone?
    What about deep green lowers?

You can also do all white with a different island color.

What about white with wood island.
    Or white with black island.
    Or white with blue island.

FLOOR COLOR:

I’d avoid gray.
    I’d go with a mid brown. But really depends on the cabinets you go with. Maybe a pailer whiter color will look nice.

COUNTERTOPS:

Sounds great! :)

CABINETS:

I like inset too

CABINET SIZE/HEIGHT:

I would not stagger. One height looks great.
    I’d also take them to the ceiling if you can. Even if you do a separate layer of cabinets up top.
    Or a thicker trim...

BACKSPLASH:

Should come at the end. Don’t even consider that yet.

This is a great project:) there is so much valuable space to work with.
    Come up with an organized game plan and think about your end goal!
    Good luck!! 💖💖💖

A P thanked HU-187528210
  • HU-187528210
    2 years ago

Some of many inspiration photos

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

:)

• K Laurence
    2 years ago

Trends be damned ! ”The gray fad has sailed” …. get what YOU like, if you like gray go with it. If you follow trends too slavisly you’ll end up with a home that doesn’t reflect YOUR personality. I personally like your cabinet color choices but would probably go with a ”brownish charcoal ” for the perimeter, softer & warmer. Good luck !

A P thanked K Laurence
  • M Miller
    2 years ago

@K Laurence - it's not just that the gray fad has sailed. That is just one point I mentioned against dark gray cabinets and gray floors. Other points I raised are that the dark gray is a dreary look, and is quite difficult to coordinate counters and backsplash with it. Gray floors are even tougher; almost nothing goes with gray floors, and you also have to make sure your several grays that the OP talked about coordinate with each other, much less also with the counters and backsplash.

I am trying to help the OP with the several reasons I advised against her choices, not just the one that you focused on. If you just tell people to "get what YOU like", you are not helping them - they wouldn't take the time to come on here specifically asking for opinions on their choices if they were confident they liked them. If every response to posts here was to "get what YOU like", there'd be no Kitchens Forum as there'd be no point.

A P thanked M Miller
  • K Laurence
    2 years ago

I have no quarrel with people asking for help & opinions regarding their choices, the input if helpful, however, I think after consideration of others’ opinions , people should go with what makes them happy & comfortable. I see way too many “cookie cutter” kitchens ( & other rooms) on here & in person , that are devoid of any originality or personality.

A P thanked K Laurence
  • mcarroll16
    2 years ago

My parents sold their house when I was 18, and my mom gave me the job of cleaning the tops of the kitchen cabinets. That mix of grease and dust was the worst cleaning job I've ever had. I would never design a gap between cabinets and ceiling, unless I felt positive I would always have the money to pay a cleaning service. Even with 10 foot ceilings, I would put in glass-front cabinets with purely decorative items. If I lacked the budget for cabinets, I'd have soffits built to fill the space. After all, the higher the ceilings, the tougher that cleaning job is going to be.

A P thanked mcarroll16
  • Shannon_WI
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

“That mix of grease and dust was the worst cleaning job I've ever had. I would never design a gap between cabinets and ceiling, unless I felt positive I would always have the money to pay a cleaning service.”

@mcarroll16 - it sounds like there was no proper hood exhaust in your parents’ kitchen. I have 9’ ceilings, and on one wall the cabinets meet the ceiling, and on another wall I have 42” upper cabinets, 3” crown and a gap to the ceiling. I place wax paper up there (it’s the perfect width) to collect any dust or grease that might float up there, and twice a year, when I change smoke alarm batteries, I pick up the wax paper and put down new. Many times I just leave the wax paper there because it is so clean it does not need to be changed. I have a good hood exhaust.

With a good hood exhaust, you would not have had such a cleaning chore in your parents’ home. It is quite expensive to take cabinets to meet a 9’ or 10” ceiling. Many people would rather invest in a good hood and correct ductwork for it. Indoor air quality is more important than ever these days.

A P thanked Shannon_WI
  • mcarroll16
    2 years ago

Thanks. That's a good point that teenage-me was not in a position to evaluate. Glad to hear that good exhaust can solve this problem.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

Sorry not an exhaust system that takes care of all the grease and dust if there was one commercial kitchens would have it and believe me not there either. I agree no space above the wall cabinet no matter hoe careful you are that space gets dirty.BTW indoor air quaility IMO is poor because we now want hermetically sealed homes so you get to breathe in the same old air often . Give me a house with a few places where air actually gets in anyday.I aslo open windows when ever possible .As for your space is this the only dining space ? I think the walk from the fridge to the sink needs to be as short as possible without going past a cooking appliance , All base cabinets when ever possible should be drawers I like full overlay cabinets better storage and easier to clean. This is my kitchen almost the same size as yours We have a DR so I just have a couple of stools at the window end for us for a coffee and the news in the morning maybe breakfast.The space was not quite finished when I took the pics so a space still above the cabinets needed the trim

A P thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • A P
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for the input @Patricia Colwell Consulting. I have a formal dining room as well (not in my pictures). I'll look in to the cabinets to the ceiling option as well. In terms of moving my fridge, I was trying to (as much as possible) minimize the movement of my appliances (even though I have moved my ovens) - primarily because I didn't want to change too much in terms of gas/electric/plumbing. I'll try to play around with some movement. In terms of base cabinets, can you give me your thoughts on why base cabinets should be drawers vs. doors/drawers?

• HU-727078151
    2 years ago

You need to start off with a couple of paid hour consult from an experienced kitchen designer.

A P thanked HU-727078151
  • A P
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks. I've also gone that route and each designer has their own thoughts as well. Thought I'd ask my questions on this form to get an idea of others experiences - and the feedback has been helpful

• HU-727078151
    2 years ago

Well, if you want 137 different opinions instead of just 2, go for confusing yourself even more with a forum post. For someone without a strong starting vision and DIY capability, it’s the worst possible choice for input.

Remember that an independent kitchen designer isn’t trying to sell you anything but design advice. Stay away from those cabinet sellers who actively sell you on the things that they conveniently recommend. They arent being impartial.

• PRO
    Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
    2 years ago

You can go white wall cabinet and a darker color for the base and island.

Another option is that white cabinet for the wall and base and go dark gray for island with white countertop that has a gray pattern into it.

The gap between the wall cabinet to the celling kills the look of your kitchen and it’s out. If your ceiling height is 96” you can have a 39” height cabinet if it’s higher than 96” you can have a stacked wall cabinet with a glass door.

For the backsplash, you can have white or light wavy subway tile behind the hood same as the countertop or all same as the countertop.

Also, you can have Carrara White Marble greyish/brown (greyer) is a good choice for the floor. You can relocate the microwave on the island too.