Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annamaria_crocco

closet in dining room?

Anna
2 years ago

Ideas please. There is a closet in the dining area of our new house. What would you do with it? I was thinking of opening it up, but then I don’t have another closet on this floor.

Comments (13)

• kandrewspa
    2 years ago

It doesn't look too intrusive to me. You could change the doors if that helps. If you did remove it, what would you put in its place? You'll have to decide which you need more, the closet or whatever would go in its place.

• Debbie Downer
    2 years ago

Yeah - new, better doors. No offense, but those look like something from the bargain bin at ReStore. Where do those stairs going down lead to - if to an exterior door that there is a good reason for keeping your closet where it is.

I would put free-standing cabinetry on that wall to the right of the kitchen door for the china, linens, baskets, board games, art objects, holiday displays, etc.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    2 years ago

Do you need to put coats in there, or can you add shelves to store table linens, small appliances, cleaning equipment, etc?

• Anna
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I have a dining set that has storage for table linens, and a pantry in there kitchen. I would change the doors if I kept it. The stairs lead to laundry garage and office room. Maybe leaving it as a hall closet type thing and juice it up with farm sliding door

• einportlandor
    2 years ago

I don't think you have space for a barn door. How about a glass door, either solid or divided light? You could have frosted glass or mount a sheer curtain on the inside to make it look more like a dining room space. Another thought is to take off the doors and convert the closet into a bar, with cabinetry below and some (glass?) shelving above, wallpapered or boldly painted walls and a puck light for drama. Could be cool.

• Stacey
    2 years ago

If you just moved in, take your time. If it is the only closet for coats etc, you will have to see. I actually like the louvre door, maybe needs paint.
    Or the shelving idea is nice. Then you could put a standing coat rack in the entry? I would not do glass doors, it would have to be really neat all the time.

• mariagrazia
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I would live with it for a while to see how you want to use that space. Some homes have very little closet or pantry space. I wouldn't change the doors - wait until you decide how to use the closet. In the meantime, you could paint the doors the same color as the wall to help them blend in. After you decide what you want to store in the closet, go to the Container Store and have them design an Elfa closet for you. Their Elfa sale will start soon! Then you can decide if you want to change the doors to a different style.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

Could we see your entry ? IMO the doors are not great for a DR but I do agree to see how the house functions before doing much with the closet .

• Anna
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I don’t have a picture of the entry but it’s a walk into living space entry. Walk in and to your right is that closet and dining space to your left is living room

• shirlpp
    2 years ago

Could that room possibly have been the living room and they switched the living and dining rooms. It's a bit weird that a closet is in the dining room and not the living room.

• remodeling1840
    2 years ago

If it were mine, it would become a beverage center. Doors removed, trim added, built in wine cooler or beverage (Coke, bottled water, etc) cooler covered by counter, upper cabinets for glasses. If you only use one cooler, you would have space for a lower cabinet with either drawers or doors.

• lawsonch19
    2 years ago

I agree. A built-in bar/beverage area would be so useful in a dining room. Cabinets below to store bottles and glass shelves above for wine glasses, etc. Quartz or similar counter top for mixing drinks or pouring coffee. Be sure to put an electrical outlet or two in there. We have one - it was in the house when we bought it - and use it all the time, especially when we entertain.