Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leah_quinn11

How much would it cost for a "minor" kitchen remodel - no appliances?

Leah Quinn
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello! We are considering a new build, they unfortunately won't alter the floor plan at all, so I'd like to know how much reworking the kitchen afterwards might cost to get it to our ideal layout. Also how much adding a mudroom off the garage and extending that space might be as well.

I'm attaching images for reference. We would need to get rid of one part of the kitchen with the sink and dishwasher and move that into a new island (cheapest option). We would not need new appliances or a new sink.

Many thanks in advance!

To answer a few questions that were brought up:

• it is on slab, no basement (we’re in central Texas)
  • the island will have electrical
  • I didn't lengthen the kitchen and we don't plan to. The kitchen length would stop at the last cabinet (there would be no wall/column).
  • the model does show a small wall but I don't believe our build will have that because the floorplan is up to date and they might’ve updated and taken that feature out (I’ll def confirm this)

Before:

After:

Current layout:

Comments (11)

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

What is underneath this kitchen, is there a basement or is it on a slab?

The kitchen photo/virtual is not identical to the floor plan, there is a wall adjacent to the sink.

It looks to me as if that pantry door will not open without hitting the oven door handle?

Minimally this will require redoing the floor to fill in where the peninsula will be removed, some new cabinets or cabinet skins and ends for the newly exposed sides, and moving of supply lines, drains and electrical. Then you will need new countertops. Moving the plumbing will be more expensive if it is on a slab vs. having a basement underneath.

I think it could be almost as expensive as a replacement of cabinets in an older kitchen where you do not change the floorplan or get new appliances.

• missb_remodeling
    2 years ago

Did the floors go down first? It looks like they did, but if not that would be a potential issue with moving the island. Any electrical on that island?

Looks like you have a column at the end of the kitchen/bar area. What is in there? Your drawings kind of ignore it, and it looks like you're adding to the length of the kitchen. Can you really? Or were you ending the counters at the column?

Is your house built on a slab? Are you adding any sinks to the mudroom or just a wall and cabinets?

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    2 years ago

You would best alter the position of the ceiling lights from centered on walk paths to being properly positioned for the work surfaces, as well.

• User
    2 years ago

With you doing all the work, 30K. Starting number. With you hiring contractors, 60K. Starting number. This is NOT a ”minimal” project. It is a major project involving redoing multiple systems. And that is just the kitchen. No mudroom addition.

Either accept the house as is, or buy a different house.

• chispa
    2 years ago

Can you even open that pantry door without hitting the oven handle?

No drawers to be found in the model kitchen.

I don't think the changes you want to make are worth the cost/time to do them.

Live with it for several years and then if it looks like you will be staying there long enough, tear out and put in a kitchen with cabinets to the ceiling, drawers and the island you want.

• julieste
    2 years ago

I have to ask the question of why you are even considering buying this new build house when you already know that the kitchen doesn't meet your needs.

• Leah Quinn
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks so much for y'alls comments!

To answer a few questions that were brought up:

• it is on slab, no basement (we’re in central Texas)
    • the island will have electrical
    • I didn't lengthen the kitchen or plan to. The kitchen length would stop at the last cabinet (there would be no wall/column).
    • the model does show a small wall but I don't believe it will have that on our build because the floorplan is more accurate and they might’ve updated and taken that feature out (I’ll def confirm this)
  • palimpsest
    2 years ago

The big thing is going to be cutting the slab and redoing the plumbing

• latifolia
    2 years ago

Unless you are going high-end; e.g. Sub-Zero, appliances are one of the cheaper elements of a kitchen renovation. A builder-grade appliance package is probably under $3,000.

As noted, it's relocating the plumbing and re-doing the floor that can get expensive.

Have you considered buying an older home and re-doing the kitchen to your liking? Often those homes are on bigger lots, closer to town, in good school districts.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    2 years ago

Even with a slab instead of a basement, that's not a minor kitchen remodel.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    2 years ago

Where are you looking to put the mud room?? And what do you want in it? That will add some thousands onto the budget as well.

You said you were considering this new build. I would say that if you have to do all that extra after the fact, then maybe this plan needs to be a pass. Or try to work with a builder that will allow some changes before hand.

Good luck