Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Sandwich ideas.....

mtnrdredux_gw
2 years ago

One real,one for giggles.

First the real. We had a large group over for lunch on Friday. I decided to do a panini bar.

We had sourdough, brioche, and multigrain bread. Cheddar, muenster and brie. Turkey, ham, roast beef, bacon, and pepperoni. Arugula, spinach, tomato, apple, onion. For condiments, everything from assorted mustards to mayo, cranberry sauce, fig jam, and horseradish. I'm sure I forgot something but you get the idea.

People assembled their sandwiches and brought them to my sous chef who helped me man the panini maker and brush the sandwiches with butter. She also kept track of whose was whose as she put them in the warming oven till all were done. I served them with chips, crudites and clementines. It was a big hit and lots of fun. We had people make a very wide variety of sandwiches; I was surprised how different each was. DH said it shows you how much better it is than making one thing.

Now for the giggles. We were up till 130am last Wednesday making homemade bolognese for Wed. night. Then we had to let it cool, etc. 2am one my kids comes down to make toast. The toaster doesn't work. DH takes it apart, claims he can rig it to make it work, but it can't be fixed because they no longer have parts for that particular toaster. It was a a 22 yr old Dualit, may it RIP. The kids use the broiler while I go online to do toaster research. DH still fiddling. I am a big fan of Dualit, we have one in Maine but I just wanted to see what's out there.

I came across this one on Amazon, You must watch the video, where they demonstrate how to make what they must assume are common sandwiches ....

Sent me into a fit of giggles, then again by then it was 3am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dUzs-KDSEo

Comments (32)

• Springroz
    2 years ago

Was that Spam????

• Bookwoman
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

In a word, blech. Plus, they put the bagel in the wrong way - cut sides always face in (and it looked already toasted!)

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago

Who doesn't put orange slices in their sandwiches?

Now your sandwich bar ideas sound incredibly tempting.

• deegw
    2 years ago

Sounds like my kind of party! I love sandwiches. One of my biggest regrets (not really) is not eating more of them before menopause kicked in and caused all carbs to immediately turn to fat and attach to my bottom.

That silly toaster video looks like it was made in 1968.

• Kswl
    2 years ago

We had a huge brisket fromFox Bros. barbecue the day after Thanksgiving, DS1 had ordered it as a special treat and braved Atlanta’s Black Friday traffic to pick it up. I sliced it and the sandwich frenzy ensued…most piled it on a bun with bbq sauce. I put mine on a toasted everything bagel (received overnight from Utopia Bagels in Brooklyn, yummy yummy!) with homemade mayo, horseradish and caramelized vidalia onions. Needless to say, I crushed the competition with my sandwich!

A sandwich bar, esp a panini bar, is a great idea! I actually think that would be the perfect brunch menu and activity— thanks for that idea, Mtn 😁

That def looked like spam on bread in the youtube ad. Those people dont need a toaster, they need new tastebuds, gross.

• Bookwoman
    2 years ago

Kswl, that sounds like a delicious sandwich. The Utopia Bagels I know is in Queens - do they now have a Brooklyn outpost?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

But if you look at the spam sandwich, it starts with what I am pretty sure is strawberry jam! Then (carefully laid) tomato slices, lettuce, and spam!

The other sandwich, starts with jam (again). Then they line up blueberries on one side, and places sliced oranges with rind on the other side. For a yummy, classic blueberry orange sandwich!

PS. KSWL you may have a kindred spirit in my DD2, who likes everything bagel seasoning on, well everything. Her panini was sharp cheese, sliced onion, horseradish, mayo,roast beef and arugula on sourdough.

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

Strangest sandwich I believe i have ever seen. One for ‘never have i ever’…had a jam, blueberry, orange slice and spam sandwich.

• bbstx
    2 years ago

Panini bar! What a fantastic idea. Perfect for football watching parties. Hope DD hasn’t sold DSIL’s panini press on ebay. Bless his heart, if he doesn’t use something for a week, she sells it. I think her minimalism is out of control, but that is a story for another day.

Of course, you must have jam on blueberry sandwiches. Otherwise the blueberries will fall out.

• Oakley
    2 years ago

I was more impressed the person emptied the crumb tray with maybe 4 crumbs. I do empty mine, when I remember about once a year. :)

Now I'm craving bolognese! And Mtn, your family is so much like mine when the kids were home. Hanging out in the middle of the night is fun!

I've never had a Bagel. Ever. I'm a bread lover but looking at a Bagel doesn't appeal to me. DS2 eats all his sandwiches on a Bagel.

Speaking of sandwiches, my favorite sandwich is tuna salad with some crunch in it, and of course mayo and pickle relish. I could eat one every day, and in fact I am because I discovered tuna salad in a pack!

Medically I need it for my extreme double whammy fatigue, Vitamin D levels are low, and I have shingles which zaps the energy out of me. This pack of tuna salad is loaded with good vitamins, protein, low carbs, but not much D. Yeah yeah, it probably has additives and such, but I don't care. :) The price is going up though, but a little over a dollar a pack is great.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oak,

I only recently announced to my three that I am no longer supervising or commenting on their sleeping habits. They are all now college-age and they have proven that they are entirely reliable getting up for classes, jobs, flights etc. without me. So even though their schedules can drive me crazy, i was the same way at their age and frankly I am a night owl too. All I ask is that they are awake and presentable for our social events, and they are, so I can't complain.

I love tuna; should've been on my panini bar. I hope the your shingles are mild, my dear sister is still suffering greatly. : (

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago

The jam reminded me of this Cuban sandwich featured in the NYT last week:

MIAMI — When the Cuban socialite Elena Ruz Valdés-Fauli was in her early 20s, she would often go to a show or a movie and have a late-night bite with friends at the restaurant El Carmelo in Havana. Her usual meal was an off-menu request: a turkey sandwich on medianoche bread, with cream cheese and strawberry preserves.

She had to explain the sandwich so many times that she asked the restaurant’s manager to put it on the menu to make it easier to order. At some point in the late 1920s or the early ’30s (nobody remembers when), she returned to find her name in neon lights, with the sandwich on the menu for 25 cents.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/19/dining/elena-ruz-cuban-sandwich.html

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Zalco, LOL that was my inspiration! At first I was going to make them, then I thought ... well not everyone will like that ...

I was tempted but I ended up going for my fave -- cheddar and sliced apple with fig spread and arugula on multigrain. Another time!

• Allison0704
    2 years ago

Love the panini bar idea, and agree with DH it was more fun for everyone.

@Oakley I've only had shingles once, but found Witch Hazel applied with a cotton round (or ball) helped dry it out and took away the itch.

• maire_cate
    2 years ago

At first I thought the jam was a little odd until I remembered that I know a few people who put a slice of leftover Thanksgiving cranberry sauce on their turkey sandwiches.

• localeater
    2 years ago

Yum, a panini bar. We used to aim for sandwich night once a week when my sons still lived here, and sure enough the Panini grill lived on the kitchen island from Tuesday until Sunday when they were here for Thanksgiving. As dh put it away he said, ”goodbye, see you at Christmas’ My favorite is arugula, brie, red onion and pear.

• deegw
    2 years ago

This thread reminds me of my favorite "fast food" treats. A sandwich from the chain Modern Market. A chunk of mozzarella, pesto, arugula, tomato, and a thin smear of balsamic blueberry jam on ciabatta. I love a tiny bit of sweetness with all the savory.

• Oakley
    2 years ago

Mtn, so sorry about your sister. Does she have a lot and also nerve pain? I hear that part is awful. I've been lucky, both cases have been mild but the difference between the two is the first case had a 3" line of tiny bubbles...in Hawaii. Sorry. No pain, no itch, nothing.

This time I have about 4 pencil eraser size dried blood circles about an inch from each other and I never noticed an itch, just slight burning, but they are scabbing over. Same with the big one on my shoulder, it stayed light red and burned. Mild case thank goodness.

Allison, I read about Witch Hazel and I just now used Dickenson's Enhanced Witch Hazel toner, alcohol free, and has Rosewater, Vitamin E, which is also suggested for shingles, and hyaluronic acid which should help dry them out. It felt good to put it on!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, since July. Very bad pain, reactions to everything she has tried, can't sleep. This is why I stop strangers on the street and tell them to GET.THE.VACCINE. (not really but...)

• Kswl
    2 years ago

Bookwoman, you may be right that they came from Queens, but for some reason they were Fedexed from Brooklyn. I usually get Ess a bagel or the current incarnation of H and H bagels, but neither had a shopping date available (on goldbelly) as close to Thanksgiving as I wanted..

I buy Everything seasoning in big bottles from Aldi’s, Mtn, and also put it on EVERYTHING. Those crunchy little garlic bits…..TDF!

• User
    2 years ago

We've been doing more vegetarian meals lately, and a big hit is grilled Halloumi, on crusty french bread, with tons of garlic sauce. It's amazing. Halloumi is a firm cheese that doesn't melt when you grill it. It's kind of a salty cheese, so we make sure there's plenty of onion, tomato and lettuce. It has an amazing texture, I can't explain, but it's sooooo good.

• nini804
    2 years ago

So does one chew and swallow the orange rind? Or discreetly spit it into a napkin? The mind boggles….

mtnrdredux_gw thanked nini804
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Nini,and wont the blue berries fall out?

Seattle, I love Halloumi; first learned of it from Nigella Lawson years back. Puts a new spin on "grilled cheese."

• User
    2 years ago

it certainly does! but since the cheese does not melt and has a satisfying chew, I think of it more like an alternative to a meat sandwich. great if you want to offer a vegetarian option and didn't want to use gardenburger or whatnot.

• amykath
    2 years ago

Mtn, I will be waiting for my invitation to your next lunch group! Those sandwiches sound incredible! What a fabulous idea!

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Ak, I’m on your way up to mtn’s, if you could swing by. We’ll get Ida, too. Sandwich road trip! :D

• amykath
    2 years ago

Haha Jinx! Sounds good!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Or... I can bring my panini maker to you/y'all.

I thought our latest idea was a GTG in the Texas Hill Country? I was thinking in the New Year I would resurrect this idea (still trying to keep it all clear in my head, was 1929 our super-snorer?) But OMG, it starts all over again with Omicron.

I now have 4 vacations "sitting on the tarmac" if you will: Colombia/Panama, Skiing in the Alps, romantic trip for 2 in Dubrovnik, and snorkelling in Bonaire. I am afraid to add a 5th!

• Jilly
    2 years ago

I have to share this because I think mtn should make it for us after our sandwiches:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CW8pis1FbCL/?utm_medium=copy_link

• nekotish
    2 years ago

Just might steal the panini bar idea to go with our Soup party that we sometimes have in late January. We send invitations that say "now that Christmas is over, we're fat and broke, so come for soup!" I make 3 different soups and in the past, served wtih bread and buns and a meat and cheese platter (because some of my husband's "lumberjackesque" friends can't wrap their head around the fact that soup is actually a meal!) I'm sure the lure of panini will set them at ease...

Also, one of my favourite sandwiches, which a local place used to make, is thinly sliced grannysmith apple, cambazola and fig jam. Now I'm jonesing...

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I like fig jam on just about anything. The woman who used to cook for us used to smear Akmak crackers with fig jam, then goat cheese, then toasted slivered almonds. Yum

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH