Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardendayz_z8b

Hidden Gem in Frontyard!!!

Ciara
2 years ago

Zone 8b Mobile, AL. This is my first post. We have just recently gotten into gardening and fixing up our overgrown yard. In doing so we have found this hidden gem actively blooming behind some dead sticks and viney mess. As I stated previously we are new to this, so we don’t know if we should shape the camellia up to make it look more appealing or just leave it alone, seeing that it has lived this long without any hard pruning. i just don’t wanna ruin these beautiful blooms. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Being as though im not very experienced I would like the advice of experienced gardeners.

Please excuse the dead sticks and vines still remaining, we are currently still in the process of freeing this beauty.

Thank you

Comments (4)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

From what I can see, it doesn't need much. Clearing out of any deadwood or leggy growth is about it. You could do some light shaping if you want but I wouldn't consider that a priority. I like camellias to take their own form and this one has a very pleasing one.

Best time is immediately after the bloom cycle.

Ciara thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Ciara
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you gardengal48. My scissor happy bf recommended that we prune it into shape but I just couldn’t do that to her. Hopefully now that all of the branches and vines that were leeching off of her are now gone maybe she will have a better chance to fill out. In the previous pictures you can tell which side of the bush was being strangled, due to the lack of flowers. I wish i had pictures of the herendous mess that was there before, there’s even now a huge vine entangled in the branches still that we have to figure out how to remove (see pic attached below). Anyways thank you kindly again.

• luis_pr
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

The camellia root system is quite shallow, about 4" deep or thereabouts so, be careful when gardening underneath or nearby, especially if the roots of the two have commingled. Camellias can also be very slow growers so it would be interesting to know how old these ones are. Decades for sure. Maybe the previous owner knows... Enjoy!

Ciara thanked luis_pr
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 years ago

and if you are really interested ion stay refer the natural shape of a plant ... otherwise.. most of those without enough space prune plants FOR A REASON ... not just on a whim ...

as gal noted.. one reason is to remove dead stuff.. its dead ... so why leave it there.. prune back to just above live growth ...

as to the vine still inside ... track it back.. cut it at the ground... and apply a stump killer.. dont ruing the C trying to yank it out of there .... if you insist on such... take a few hours to cut it into small pieces that can be gently pulled out ...

and if you are really interested in stay with gardening.. get him a good pair of pruning shears for xmas ... it really matters.. a good tool.. is a good friend.. my fave are felcos....

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=felco+pruning+shears&ia=web

and usually makes the job easier ... a folding tree saw can also come in handy ... cheap is ok if you arent a lumberjack ... since peeps dont usually do a lot of thick pruning ....

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=folding+tree+saw&t=ffab&iax=images&ia=images

bottom line.. you can always take off more next year ... but you cant glue stuff back on.. because you got in a pruning frenzy .. lol ... we all been there.. lol ...

welcome to the forums ... there is a shrub forum.. tree forum as well as many others ... if you need more specific advice.. though many are not very active ...

ken

Ciara thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5