Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reneecitizen

advice for leak in new bathroom tile

Renee C
2 years ago

We had our primary bathroom fully renovated this fall. Last week, the ceiling in our living room started leaking, directly under said new bathroom (specifically, shower).

My contractor opened up the ceiling and concluded that the floor tiles and wall tile weren’t sealed properly (by him). He used a grout sealer and then siliconed the edge. I feel like this is a quick fix and doesn’t address the issue. but also have limited knowledge of refitting a bathroom.

My understanding is that if there is a leak, it means he didn’t seal the Wedi board effectively before he layed the tile. Therefore, In the future if the newly applied silicone deteriorates, we will still have leaking, again.

Would you recommend the contractor pull up some of the tile and reseal the base again? I don’t want to request more than necessary, but also don’t want to regret how it was fixed in 5-10 years….
I’ve added a photo for reference. Thanks.

Comments (8)

• millworkman
    2 years ago

"that the floor tiles and wall tile weren’t sealed properly (by him). He used a grout sealer and then siliconed the edge."

Grout and sealant do not do a thing for waterproofing. A properly waterproofed shower can be used with no tile whatsoever. The shower is built wrong and from the sounds of it this guy does not know the correct way to build a shower.

• Renee C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks @millworkman for the feedback, this is what I suspected upfortunately. In your experience, is it possible to pull up a few inches of tile around the edge of the shower and the seal the wedi board as an after-fix?

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

"A properly waterproofed shower can be used with no tile whatsoever."

Agree with Millworkman. A topical repair is simply a temporary band aid. Was the plumbing eliminated from possibilities?

• Renee C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Creative Tile, we opened up the ceiling and ran the shower for quite a while- plumbing all looked OK and no obvious leaks. When we moved the shower head against the wall, the leaking began. We couldn’t actually see the water source from the ceiling, but it started dripping pretty soon after water hit the wall, so that was the conclusion. If we pulled up a few inches of floor tile on the edge, In your experience, can the wedi still be sealed properly afterwards?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

Renee C:

I did a job similar to yours several years ago. I told the lady I could rebuild her base, tie into her walls, and save her money with no guarantee, or she could pay more to have everything replaced. She opted for the former and I haven't gotten a callback in 5 years. We got lucky.

• PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    2 years ago

HELP! MY SHOWER IS LEAKING!

Many times, a leaking tiled shower can be the result of an unqualified person performing the work. A leaking shower can damage other areas of the bathroom or even the room below the shower. There are multiple reasons why this could happen.

Your first line of defense should be to have your plumber check for leaks in the:

· shower control valve and/or pipe to the shower head

· water supply lines

· drain and trap

Your second line of defense should be to have your shower door installer check for leaks in:

· the door track mounted on the curb (if present)

· the vinyl sweep on the bottom of the door

· between the vertical metal frame and the tiled wall

· between the door and the metal frame attached to the tiled wall

What evidence do you see of a leaking shower?

1. The ceiling in the room below my shower has water stains and/or water is dripping from the ceiling

Potential Causes

· Hole or leak in the pan liner under the tile

· Clogged weep holes in the drain assembly

· No or incorrectly applied waterproofing on the curb, walls, niches, and seats

· Post-tile installation: installed grab bars, soap dishes, or other screw-attached items – not properly sealed

2. The floor tile just outside my shower is wet, damp, and/or discolored

Potential Causes

· Shower curb is not sloped properly toward the drain and water is running onto outside floor

· Shower pan membrane/liner not properly installed over the entire curb and continuing to the floor outside the shower

· Pan liner pierced during shower door installation

3. The tile on the inside of my shower walls, floor or curb is loose, the grout is cracking or there is a mineral deposit build up at grout/caulk lines

Potential Causes

· Blocked weep holes at drain

· Breach or incorrect installation of shower pan membrane/liner

· Improper or lack of waterproofing at wall to curb and/or other changes in plane

· Improper materials used under the tile

· Lack of proper ventilation (ceiling fan)

4. The tile on the curb is cracked and/or loose and/or the walls next to the curb are deteriorating.

Potential Causes

· The curb was not properly constructed and/or waterproofed

· Backer board was nailed or screwed through the shower pan liner and into the curb. No waterproofing was applied

· The curb does not have the proper slope toward the drain

· The shower door was improperly installed (door installer error)

o Holes drilled into the curb or the floor on a barrier free shower

o Holes drilled into the wall and not properly sealed

5. The walls outside my shower are damp and spongy, drywall is bubbling, or damaged. There is evidence of moisture damage and mold/mildew on the wall(s) on the other side of the shower.

Potential Causes

· The shower pan liner was not correctly installed

· The shower drain was not properly installed

· The shower drain weep holes are clogged

· Improper or lack of waterproofing on walls up to the shower head

· Fasteners were placed through the tiled surface and not sealed

6. My shower has a terrible odor

Potential Causes

· Incorrect drain installed

· The floor under the shower pan liner was not properly sloped toward the drain

· The shower drain weep holes are clogged

· The lower part of the drain body (below the tile surface) was incorrectly installed higher than the surrounding floor and will not drain

· Stagnant water and organic shower products (soap, shampoo, body wash, and body oil are trapped below the tile allowing mold to grow

Unless otherwise indicated (such as plumber or glass installer), it is important that you seek the help of an industry QUALIFIED tile professional who uses tile industry standards and approved best practices for shower installations and strictly follows the material manufacturer’s specifications and instructions.

It’s helpful to understand this about showers: A properly constructed shower manages and directs all the water that flows through it to the drain, and nowhere else. The shower “fixture” needs to be water tight, utilizing one of the two basic types of showers: a "Water In, Water Out" shower system, which is constructed with a clamping ring drain and waterproof shower pan liner or a "Sealed System" which employs a bonding flange drain and a waterproofing membrane that extends to the shower head. Both systems require that the walls, seats, ledges, niches, and curbs be treated with the appropriate waterproofing product. If the waterproofing, drain components, or any part of the shower system is not installed properly, is damaged, punctured, or compromised during installation, a leak can and will result in failure.

PLEASE NOTE: Beware of the claims that a leaking shower can be eliminated by using grout or caulking repairs/replacement or the application of a sealer or coating. These actions will, at best, provide only a temporary fix. Beware of individuals and companies who are NOT insured, licensed where required, or certified by the tile industry. Wisely consider, interview, and hire dedicated tile professionals who have received proper training and have experience in the process of providing a long-lasting and trouble-free shower installation. A qualified tile professional will perform work in accordance with the Tile Council of North America (TCNA) HandbookMethods, American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Standards, and the manufacturer’s written instructions.

• Jake The Wonderdog
    2 years ago

Dragonfly keeps that response ready in his cut and paste arsenal. It's a pretty detailed response and is the right answer.

The issue, as you have suggested, is that caulk may solve the problem past the warranty period, but not for the long-term. The shower system should be watertight without tile, grout or caulk - as others have stated.

That doesn't look like a hack job - so I'm pretty sure your contractor knows how this works and knows what has to be done. He needs to rebuild the shower.

• Jeff Meeks
    2 years ago

Caulking the tile joint might stop the symptoms of the leak for a while, but it does not address the root of the problem which is a leaking shower pan. What was used for the shower, is it Wedi throughout. I'm always dubious of Wedi because it does not used tape across the joints and seems to rely just on the sealant for a mechanical and waterproofing bond. The panels have to be embedded in sealant and if there is any poor bond that could leak.