Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_310781628

What color cabinets?

Ashlee S
2 years ago

The tile flooring unfortunately is staying, the walls are agreeable grey. what color cabinets? we have dark walnut stained doors throughtout house that wed like the island to be stained to match.

Comments (17)

• acm
    2 years ago

Backsplash and counters will remain as currently as well?

• Svetlana J
    2 years ago

I would paint the perimeter cabinets white, change the hardware, then down the road upgrade the backsplash and countertop.

• Mark Brunner
    2 years ago

Paint the walls a different color and change the light fixtures to something brighter.

• Ashlee S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

to clarify new quartz (white-ish/grey) and backsplash will be part of the update

• jackowskib
    2 years ago

Post a photo of your walnut color next to floor if you can. I’m thinking white cabinets too but needs to be a shade that works nicely with the floor and island.

• Rachel Lee
    2 years ago

White cabinets are going to make that floor look dingy. A cream from he floor would work best.

• anjiz
    2 years ago

I agree that white cabinets with your tile floor will not work. Off-topic a bit, there are many grout lightening products available (grout pens),this may reduce the busy look of your floor a bit

• Ashlee S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Heres our doors that are throughout that was a thought for island

• Ashlee S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We started with redoing laundry cabinets. did chantlilly lace and its bright white and know its not a fit for kitchen

• honeybeemaiden1
    2 years ago

Go for your plan of updating the counters and backsplash, then after reassess if and what color you want to change the cabinets. Your laundry room colors looks great!

• LinaM
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Why do you say that the chantlilly lace white in your laundry room is a "bright white and know its not a fit for kitchen"? I think it would be perfect. Is this the color of the trim in the rest of the house? You want the kitchen to fit well with the other rooms. I think white on the cabinets, and dark walnut on the wood in the island is a good idea. It keeps the color flowing from other areas of your house.

The laundry room result shows that white cabinets look fine with the beigey floor. Also, you can add rugs to cover some of the floor tiles, like you did in the laundry room (I'm not saying to put black & white plaid rugs in the kitchen, just something with more of the grey and black).

And update the kitchen cabinet hardware to match that in the laundry room.

• Ashlee S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for feedback. i think the idea to do counter and backsplash and then pick cabinets is a good idea. i am a planner snd get ahead of myself. will consider the white from laundry - im still adjusting to seeing the white there :)

• LinaM
    2 years ago

One more point: since the floors will be staying the colors they are, which are warm greys and beiges, make sure that the grey in the countertops is a warm shade, not cool, or there will be a clash. (all colors have an undertone, that's what I'm referring to regarding the grey).

You could also do white subway tiles as a backsplash. This gives a nice modern look.

• LinaM
    2 years ago

Another lovely modern touch, since you're going to be changing the countertops: get a new sink! Maybe go for a big white farmhouse sink. These are beautiful, and also it's always nice to have a big sink. No fun trying to wash things in a small sink. A white sink will look pretty sitting in a grey countertop.

• LinaM
    2 years ago

Would this color scheme work for you? I don't know what colors you've used for decorating/furnishing your house, but look how nicely all this works together. And, the counter is a warm color, as I was referring to, which would go w/ your floors. Nevermind the medium colored wood on shelves and taller countertop, or the faucet style. I love the cabinet color, the white farmhouse sink, and also the white tile backsplash.

• honeybeemaiden1
    2 years ago

Have you already picked out and chosen your countertops and backsplash tiles? Already purchased? If not consider working with a virtual or local interior designer for a grand-plan. I saw that Modsy.com does virtual 3D designs helping with all Of this (seeing it virtual tied together before too far in to spending money), as does other companies. Consider posting a picture of swatches of what you have already chosen/purchased if you have already picked out your counters, etc. You might get confusing/conflicting ideas without all the details of your plan. The walnut woodwork is beautiful. I think there are other options besides painting all the wood white. Its all about individual taste.

• jackowskib
    2 years ago

If you prefer to do in white maybe consider whites that lean to creamy or grey, like BM White Dove or SW Aesthetic White. Get some sample boards to get a good view of them in the room. With the island I would lean toward warm colors.