Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dani_rusek

Width and length of drapes?

Dani Rusek
2 years ago

I’ll be removing the blinds from all the windows in my room (there are 2 more identical windows in the room, so technically 6 windows altogether) and adding double curtain rods with sheer curtains underneath and blackout on top. Each pair of windows is about 60 inches wide so my rod will probably be about 84 inches long. I think two 50” wide panels will be too short and not look full enough. Most places only offer 50 or 100“ wide panels. Would two 100” panels be too much?

I also only have 7.5 ft ceilings.. so if i put the curtain rod all the way to the ceiling would 96” long panels be too long? They also offer 84” long but I don’t think that will puddle on the floor enough. I’d like about 1-2 inches past the floor. I’m trying to avoid paying for custom drapes here.. thanks in advance everyone!

Comments (15)

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

It is impossible to know what to suggest w/o seeing the entire wall. Many rooms do not warrant to the ceiling drapes, they will look just silly. How much room above the trim to the ceiling? "puddle on the floor enough"?? NO PUDDLE EVER, the hem should just sweep the floor.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

You do not need any more than 84 inch length. You do NOT puddle anything. There is no need for black out over sheers. Especially on small windows.

Get a better looking black out . privacy cell shade as ONE covering over the window you show, and add decorative panels as you like. No puddles.

Ad you don't need an 84 inch rod, for a 60 inch window. A six foot rod is plenty, and then use TWO pair of 50 inch wide panels for luxury fullness. ON RINGS. Yes.two pair. You hang, with them touching the floor, and no puddle.

If you want excel;lent coverage and no light leak? Use a RETURN rod. No finial for easiest installation.

If you still want sheers??? Get a double rod

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

This is the standard for to-the-ceiling drapes. We don't really have the context for your windows and need pix of the entire room and to know its function. If your ceilings are only 7.5' there may be better options than what you have in mind. Puddling is for grander and more upscale windows/rooms, if at all. I've only seen them done well once in a high end condo.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

IMO 2.5 times the width of the rod is min. Sheers IMO need to be 4x the rod width Why not just do the drapes at 3x and forget the sheers. I do however need pics of the space . 84" long is good just adjust where you [put the rod so the drapes just kiss the floor . I actually don't always hate puddling but it needs to be in a very grand bedroom So pics please. I agree you probably only need a 72" rod but please post pics.

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

I know almost everyone seems to hate the double layer including sheers + drapes but believe it or not some people need daylight + privacy at the same time because people can see directly into the house. Here houses are right on the sidewalk.

I had one client whose bedroom faced another bedroom across an alley and he said he was tired of seeing his neighbor with no clothes on and they were probably tired of seeing him. He also worked at a desk in there. Plus he had a streetlight immediately outside.(immediately as in you could reach out and touch it. So he got sheers so he could have some privacy without having to close the curtains and turning on the lights, a blackout shade because of the streetlight. and as it ended up we added panels to deal with the light leakage around the blackout shade. So three layers.

• Dani Rusek
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sorry everyone! I might be using the wrong terminology here. i thought this was considered puddling (see picture.) I also read if you had low ceilings its better to have the rod as close to the ceiling as possible and to have the rod extend 12 inches on each side from the window! I’ve attached some pictures of my room under the picture of how long I was thinking the drapes should be. Please ignore the god awful furniture and flooring. That’s all being changed. I also just assumed to do sheers and blackouts because during the day I figured there would be too much light if I just opened the blackouts and had no sheer covering at all.. and I thought if I just had light filtering curtains and had my bedroom lights on at night that neighbors would be able to see in. I’m COMPLETELY open to suggestions though and it would be cheaper to just do one curtain instead of layering them so thats even better 😂 Sorry guys I’m so new to all of this its my first time designing a home.. I’m 25 and finally moved out lol!

• Dani Rusek
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This is a picture of the entire room how it first came… you cant even see the other wall, its a pretty large room (about 18x14 ft)

I currently have my contractor in there ripping up flooring and trim so I cant take a picture at the moment

• Maureen
    2 years ago

Given the heating element, I’d use nice blinds and cover the radiator (maybe your contractor can advise) making it wide/long enough to be used with a lamp, etc next to each bed.

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

i’m wondering why you don’t like the blinds currently in the windows. And, if the bed arrangement will be as seen in pics i don’t see drapes to the floor working. The heating element shouldn’t be covered to work well & be safe

• Dani Rusek
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@kw @Maureen there is only going to be one bed in the room .. its going to be where the dressers are in the picture i showed with the orange walls

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

Okay. I do still think the radiator needs to be kept open & nothing covering it.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

For optimal, secure and restful sleep, the bed should be opposite the door. For fire safety, drapes shouldn't be near the heat source under the window. I think you would be better off with this look and the bed under the window that has no heat source. Since you have 6 windows, you might consider sacrificing one pair to give the bed a backdrop.

• shadylady2u
    2 years ago

What kind of heat do you have? If electric, curtains must be at least 10” away. If hot water, then covering the ends is fine. You don’t want to cover the heat, but not a fire hazard.

• Dani Rusek
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@decoenthusiaste thats a whole other issue I’m dealing with is where to place the bed. Three walls have windows, only one without it has the entry and closet door on each side. I figured it was worse to have the bed in front of a window which is why i was going to go with this wall. obviously would remove the tv. its such a nice spacious room but very tricky to design around. Also, the windows on the shorter sides are off center which i feel like would also look weird with a bed in front (second picture.) The long wall with the centered window has the hot water radiator. It’s like theres no good answer to this dilemma, lol. This was my Grandma’s house, and this room was an addition. Whoever built this room did not seem to think it through, haha.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

A fully draped wall will allow you to center the bed no matter where the windows are behind the drapery. Just be sure to line them. If the windows don't face the street, you can block them so there is no "see through" effect, and that will be cheaper than lining store bought drapes. I would put the bed on the end wall furthest from the entry door. Can you take a pic from the radiator window to the dressers?