Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_283136285

Kitchen dilemma: too much yellow wood and green granite

kim
2 years ago

A complete remodel of my kitchen is out of reach right now but I can do what I can with paint, stain or other affordable solutions. My house is a lot of yellow wood cabinets, doors and floors and paint colors. Paired with the green granite countertops and backsplash in the kitchen it gives off a very 1990s cabin chic vibe. I included listing photos since they are less cluttered than current space. I did switch out the hardware (picture 3) which was a huge improvement. My thought is to paint the cabinets in order to eliminate one source of the yellow wood. Staining them another color is on the table as well. I'd also like to do something about the monolithic green granite backsplash but I'm afraid removing it would cause a lot of damage. The wall color in the open kitchen/living area is currently a cream color that reads very yellow. I'd like to change that wall color once I figure out what is happening with this kitchen. Any ideas on changes to cabinet color/backsplash/wall color that would give an updated look? I'm not afraid of painting cabinets but I can't decide what colors I can pair with this granite.

Comments (30)

• lynzy1
    2 years ago

So you have black cabinet hardware now or silver? What is photo 4?

• herbflavor
    2 years ago

its a great small kitchen.Unless you want a range..redo things..a bigger island..open up the space I'd love the great warm wood and welcoming feel of this. Its small..so starting things gets into the question..is it worth it? I'd look elsewhere to do things in the home/condo if you want projects.

• kempek01
    2 years ago

Painting the walls to get rid of the "yellow" that you don't like would be easier than painting the cabinets. Depending on how far you have to take the new color, though, it might still be a lot of work.

I would look at replacing the granite backsplash with a solid light colored tile. It could be subway, or maybe something with a little more shape. Repairing the wall behind the granite would be less work than painting the cabinets, especially if you contract out the granite removal.

• MizLizzie
    2 years ago

I love your counters and think your cabinets are just fine. I am not the color expert around here, but thinking a pale sage green paint might be a good option. That backsplash has gotta go, though, drywall damage or not. It looks dated and it is darkening the space while doing nothing to improve the cabinetry. Unfortunately, a lot of that yellow is coming from the floors. I would install a wide ”gallery” runner if you can find one that won’t ruin your budget. Otherwise, the widest regular runner you can find might help. Good luck, it is a nice kitchen.

• anjiz
    2 years ago

Honestly, I don’t find your cabinets offensive at all! Painting cabinets correctly, can be very expensive. I would first try to install undercabinet lighting, this will brighten things up quite a bit. You’ve already changed the hardware and I think you have a very attractive kitchen.

• kim
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@lynzy1 photo 4 is the granite and the hardware is now the black in photo 3.

• Linda Atwork
    2 years ago

I think if you update the cabinet hardware, and change or remove the curtains over the sink and the sliding door, you'd have a different look in the kitchen already. For me, I'd not go with black cabinet hardware. Maybe change the pendant lights as well? I think having less black the kitchen might make it brighter/softer.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

I like your current kitchen. I'd keep adding unique items as you have in nearby room. Go with vibe of hickory wood [?], with industrial/ farmhouse black lights...

... here's just some texture. Add cool style that includes burlap.... etc...

Worlds Away, Patrick Cabinet, Pine · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Copper - not rough, but smooth. Idk about this type, but to help the kitchen, you could cross into transitional more --

Westinghouse 6368900 Ariana 3 Light 39"W Linear Chandelier - Matte Black / · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Just another idea - black metal, with basic look... wouldn't clash with stools you have [seem nice]. :)

Utopia Chandelier 6 Light Chandelier With Opal Glass, Black · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

This 'cool tone' is barely there- you have cool tone of frig already... my question is whether you're considering any change in nearby room, toward organic texture? If accenting wallpaper, for example worked really well, maybe this.. but not very modern.

Conley 39.5" Dimmable Adjustable Integrated Led Linear Pendant, Chrome · More Info

Weave & Wander Vanhorn Contemporary Watercolor Rug, Gold/Birch, 5'x8' · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Too dark, but does it seem a vibe like all the wood in the house? almost farm/industrial.... I meant this look as a look with barely there LED light.

Faux Patina Panels Wallpaper, Blue, Bolt · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Think Ikea - repeat grey-greens in a transitional way... well, here's an idea:

Dash and Ash Morning Fogg Credenza, 38"x20" · More Info

• jackowskib
    2 years ago

I would look at white paint samples that do not have yellow undertone and do the ceiling and walls and trim white. When budget allows change window coverings.

• User
    2 years ago

You need a better lighting plan. Including under cabinet lighting. Wood and green is THE big trend for2022, and it never really went away in casual outdoors connection type homes. Because it fits the home. And it looks great!

• Maureen
    2 years ago

Is the cabinetry and granite the shades in close ups or pictures of kitchen? Lighting it seems may be having a big impact.

I’d remove the backsplash and it shouldn't be hard to repair. Your cabinetry used with lighter backsplash and cream walls could look great.

• krdpm
    2 years ago

I actually like your kitchen. Like the cabinets, light, new hardware. Would like the counter more if it were honed, but still nice. If I was going to update with limited budget, I would 100% focus on replacing backsplash with neutral light tile. I would add under cabinet lighting if not there already, and repaint walls with cooler neutral once backsplash is in. I also would look into a blind above window that disappeared/blended more visually.

• housegal200
    2 years ago

Nobody's mentioned flooring, which harmonizes very well with your cabinets. Here's your palette with a more modern feel due to undercabinet lighting and backsplash.

Kitchen · More Info

What furnishings do you have or will you have in dining area? Go modern, same wood but modern lines for table and modern chairs.

Dining area with built-in buffet cabinetry · More Info

Replace the red wine message decor item with a real modern piece of art. "Abstract Food Art" on Etsy brought up these images that echo your cabinets. Work with them without thinking you have to paint them white. And declutter like mad since you're either in the process of doing that or know you should.

Next time you post to Houzz, you really have to show the entire space. Maybe your dining furniture doesn't link to the kitchen and there's a way to change that instead of a big cabinet makeover. You need to supply lots more information and not just show listing photos because your kitchen is too cluttered.

• lisayuenwoods
    2 years ago

Green is a very on trend colour for kitchens right now so you could use that to your advantage until you are ready to redo the entire room.

Option 1 Paint the lower cabinets a dark, moody green and leave the uppers, counters and backsplash as is. Then paint your walls a lighter sage green. Your black hardware would work with this scheme.

Option 2 Paint all of your cabinets a sage green and your walls a creamy white.

• Sammie J
    2 years ago

The cabinets and granite are not really giving off the "cabin" vibe as much as the flooring, cabinet hardware, window coverings, switch plates, and decor. Start with a runner (to cover up much of the floor) and new colorful roman blinds in the windows. Add plants on the windowsill instead of what is currently sitting there. Take away the word art on the walls and add colorful art pieces. Change your switch plates to a more modern option. Change the hardware to a metal finish (gold, brushed nickel, etc). Then, step back and see if you need more change.

• Edna
    2 years ago

Have you considered white backsplash and countertop?

light house · More Info

• kim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I'm not in a position to change the counters right now but I am going to try a lighter backsplash.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

I wouldn't paint at this point.

#1, as a DIY job, its extremely difficult to do correctly if you're not a 'painter' type of person. I've painted tons of cabs/furniture and it's quite an art.

#2, to bring in a pro to paint would be 3-5K, from what I can see.

What I would do is give them a good cleaning and some type of refinish topcoat.

you really should do larger handles, but since the hole is already there, you're stuck w/that size. (your cabinets are tall and really should have a 6"-7" size handle) Keep this in mind if you ever do paint.

If you can demo that granite yourself, you could purchase a pre-fab quartz countertop for under $500. Then you pay a fabricator to cut it and install it. maybe another 700 or so. just depends where you are.

Is that something you can do at this point? The real culprit in the kitchen is the dark counter and splash.

I seriously look into a pre-fab quartz or granite. They're usually stacked up like this, and come in 6', 8' or 9' lengths w/24" widths. They are cut on site. For your stove area w/the overhang, you'd prob have to get the island size.

You could also go by a stone yard or fabricators warehouse to see what kind of remnants they have. you'd be surprised at what gets thrown in the trash.

Your hickory cabs are a nice natural color, and not too rustic. Here's how a nice white quartz would look. (ignore this backsplash) with a soft blue wall color

this one is a matte light gray w/white subway tile
    (but these are oak. same tone though)

Get yourself a nice runner to coordinate the colors. I love this runner w/wood cabs.

another hickory w/Cambria quartz countertops.

this two tone is pretty. love the hardware, the black windows, the runner and the simple white marble quartz

another view of it.

You can find these on Amazon. Cosmas brand. I have these in gold in my own kitchen

These pics are w/oak cabinets, but they're similar colors to yours w/wood floor. I just want to show you what a new countertop/tile does to update the space. (and if you can DIY a lot these things, you can save yourself thousands)

i notice you don't really have any trim around your window. when it comes time to tile, see if you can trim around the window w/casing, or actual tile.

if you don't have room, then try doing the window like this so you have a larger sill.

and I'd prob do a diff type of window treatment, and maybe a sconce or pendant light above the sink.

If you can change the countertops, any of these paint colors would work for wall/trim .

These grayish/greenish tones look beautiful w/natural wood tones.

• Andrea Kinley
    2 years ago

Your kitchen reminds me of mine! We recently moved into a new home and the first thing we wanted to do was get rid of the yellow undertones. We did a lot of updating but the one thing i love the most is the white cabinets! It made such a huge difference!! Plus it was nice to have new surfaces/feel to the wood and not any grime that accumulates on the faces over the years. So many can lights too! I didn’t want to spend the money on huge updates for lighting so we just replaced them with led lights. The floor needed a resealing so we opted to stain a little lighter. Then of course the new handles make a big difference from the gold knobs. And last, we decided to paint the walls a brighter and cooler color and did simply white on both the walls and ceiling. It has a green undertone so depending on the natural sunlight, sometimes it can give off a green tint. A lot of people liked the cabinet and wood color but it just wasn’t for me. You obviously don’t need to do all of that to get your desired look but if you are willing to invest, I would change the cabinets or flooring to break up the monotony of that yellow feel. You can do just backsplash and wall paint but you are still going to have a bunch of that golden wood with the floors and cabinets .

Just my opinion. Depending on your budget…I just think you will see a bigger difference than trying to offset all of the golden wood. Both my husband and I love how the white makes everything so clean and bright!

• Andrea Kinley
    2 years ago

By the way, I was really debating whether to go darker or lighter with the floors. I actually like the look of these floors and I think I would’ve been happy with slightly darker stain as well. The selling point was the fact that our new puppy blended in perfectly with the new stain. Helped hide the dog hair!

• Pam
    2 years ago

Your kitchen is compact & super efficient. I quite like it. I agree with the people that have mentioned since your wood & green are very much the new look now, that you leave the cabinets & counters as they are. Painting the cabinets white would be a mistake imo. Just remove the big granite backsplash, repair the wall and either paint it whatever light color you’re going to paint the walls, or if adding a tile backsplash, choose a white. Remove the word plank above the window, and change the window treatments. Please post the changes when you are done. With the small & inexpensive changes I think it will look fantastic! Good luck

• Gina C
    2 years ago

Your kitchen is really pretty! I would just change out backsplash and get different hardware, it will make a world of difference!!

• kim
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you to everyone who took the time to answer and post ideas. I really appreciate it! I'll come back and update once I get some things done :)

• cupofkindnessgw
    2 years ago

That puppy is adorable.