Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joanne_hsing

What's the current modern fixture colors for 2022?

Joanne Hsing
2 years ago

We gutted and remodeled our home back in 2003 and did all brass fixtures, door hinges and door handles. They look very dated now and dull. We're going to be repainting all of our interior doors white and updating some bathrooms. I like the chrome color as it has that clean look, but my husband likes the look of the brushed nickel. Any thoughts?

Comments (22)

• kandrewspa
    2 years ago

I am interested to see how people respond to this as I am facing the same issue. I have already been thinking about it for a while and can't make up my mind. What style is your house?

• Joanne Hsing
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@kandrewspa: I'm going for a modern and clean look as we slowly update our house from our last remodel in 2003. Back then the internet was just at the cusp and researching/getting ideas wasn't easy, so we just took the ideas of our general contractor. Now that we've lived in the house for 19 years, I know that we want to change and update a lot of things.

• kandrewspa
    2 years ago

I'm going to vote for brushed nickel. The house next door updated all of their door handles, etc. to that finish and it was a nice contemporary look. What do you have in your bathrooms and kitchen? You could set up your question to accept votes.

• G W
    2 years ago

A more muted brass/champagne bronze seems to be very popular, as are matte black and chrome.....but I get frustrated trying to keep chrome clean, so prefer brushed nickel myself.

• kandrewspa
    2 years ago

Well, if there isn't a consensus I guess we can do whatever we want. :-)

I am going back and forth between brushed nickel and satin brass myself. I can only picture black in a contemporary style home.

• Sandra Guistwhite
    2 years ago

Black can work in other styles too- think wrought iron/ cast iron designs. It works well with rustic or industrial interiors

• Maureen
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I think choosing the actual style has more influence than the metal. For instance, the looks below would all have the same modern influence; so really comes down to your metal preference.
    We went from a curved brass to a simple black lever and love how the shape especially updated our doors.

• Suki Mom
    2 years ago

How about posting a picture of one of your doors and doorknob? By fixtures do you mean lights? Faucets?

• mcarroll16
    2 years ago

Understand completely why you would want a change from something you've had nearly 20 years. But shopping for lighting and hardware right now, it feels like white + brass is really taking over. So many lights I love that are only available in brass, not silver tones. Maybe paint your doors before you buy any hardware. You might be right on trend!

• M Riz
    2 years ago

Ive been building for the past year and just finished. I dont have any brushed nickel at all. I did some matte black door hardware, Brass in the kitchen and in the guest baths i have chrome. My designer steered us this way and i think she was right, Chrome looks fresh and clean.

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

Maybe it was growing up in 50/60s military housing but chrome will always look cheap and builder's grade to me. Brushed is best for finger prints/water droplets etc so I always go brushed. Love the new Champaign.... and if I were changing things up I would go that way! Black is waaay too trendy. I don't see it lasting or being a total go to, an accent here or there maybe.

• chispa
    2 years ago

In 2003 builder brass was already on the way out. Nothing wrong with quality brass hardware, but it was all the cheap builder brass stuff, some of which was plastic coated with a shiny brass finish.

I just built a house and the style is clean lines, but Spanish inspired. All my door hardware is Emtek Sandcast Medium Bronze. The kitchen cabinet hardware is Honey Bronze (champagne gold) from Top Knobs. Secondary bathrooms have chrome. Master and Powder have light Bronze from Rocky Mountain Hardware on cabinets and Brizo Luxe Gold (champagne) fixtures. My light fixtures range from champagne gold to antique brass to a brown-bronze. So all in the warmer colors, except for the chrome bathrooms, but that is a neutral and classic choice for bathrooms.

You can do brushed nickel throughout the house and use chrome in the bathrooms.

There is no right or wrong, but you do want to make sure they all complement each other.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I need to see the doors and some glimpse into what you are planning. I personally do not like black hardware on white doors for instance unless all the hardware is black everywhere it is a huge contrast and honestly not sure I want the hinges to be a design element ever . I like brushed nickel for all the door hardware it is simple and allows you to mix a bit of metals. I think to look at t a trend right now is not the answer this needs to be decided with a whole plan in place .2 of the bathrooms in your idea book are certainly not IMO 2022 so I need a lot more info as to your plan.

• K R
    2 years ago

Chrome is classic and is always in. Black is trendy but be aware, it will scratch over time. Brushed nickel is also nice but more traditional.

• la_la Girl
    2 years ago

I agree with you @K R - all of these bathrooms with high contrast black fixtures.. seems destined to date FAST

• Jaclyn D
    2 years ago

@arcy_gw Im in the same pickle… where are you finding champagne door levers?! I feel like they are a unicorn. if you have any brands that you know that have champagne I would be so appreciative!

• PRO
    Bergen Furniture & Design
    2 years ago

I want to go with your husband chosen "brushed nickel".

• Shany t
    2 years ago

Brushed nickel is easier to clean and maintain (no water stains) than chrome. We renovated a house with brushed nickel  and it looks nice. For the style, it also depends on the shape of the hardware and faucets. 
    In our new house, we chose matte black in the bathroom, a good brand that doesn't scratch easily. For the kitchen, matte black for the cabinet door knobs and kitchen faucet. White Lighting fixtures for the island area and dining table. Our kitchen kitkat tiles backsplash is mostly white with tiny black dots (pottery white) and there's some white in our black painted marble countertop.
    I think some satin brass gold here and there mixed with other metals can look nice, it adds warmth and luxury to a room. I almost chose satin brass for my kitchen door knobs and black+satin brass for the faucet..we hesitated for a while.

• Merris Delane
    last year

If you’re going for a classic, safe choice then brushed nickel.

• jeanennemorphis
    last year

We mixed. I liked the matt black for the room door handles but left the painted hinges on the white doors so they don't stand out. Two baths got chrome cabinet hardward and one got black. Light fixutres are both black and chrome in baths. Kitchen faucets, hardware and lighting are brushed champaign brass and looks great with all white kitchen. The black hinges spooked me. I don't want the hardware to be the star of the show. We wanted to highlight cabinentry, quartzite counters and lighting. Black on white seems harsh so I was cautious and used a lot of chrome to soften the baths.

• stiley
    last year

I follow lots of design podcasts, magazines etc, plus fashion folks, and silver tones are coming back in. Bring out your silver hoop earrings! We just did a remodel and used matte black for door knobs, polished nickel faucets, and unlacquered brass for most cabinet hardware. I prefer polished nickel to chrome since it’s warmer, and warm is definitely in right now.