Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Layering Window Treatments

Funkyart
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Have you seen cafe curtains paired with panels? We've all seen blinds/shades with curtain panels-- bamboo or fabric-- but what about cafe curtains with panels? I need privacy at the bottom of the windows on at least one side and I appreciate the light and view that comes through the top so cafe curtains work perfectly-- but they look "undone".

Background: This all came up because I am in the process of updating my LR window treatments-- and as scope creep happens, I started to also reconsider my breakfast room which is visible from LR. I'd like to coordinate the panels in the two rooms using different patterns but the same/similar color (indigo). Of course, the problem is that I still need the cafe curtains for privacy.

Note: Shutters would be perfect except that I don't want to make that investment now because I expect to replace the windows and the trim in the next few years-- and possible replace one bank of windows with french doors to the outside.

Will it look dumb to keep cafe curtains with panels? I did search google images but didn't find any examples pairing the two. What do you think? Have you done it/seen it?

Comments (28)

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    2 years ago

We had Hunter Douglas pleated shades installed with a top down/bottum up feature and then layerd drapes over them at both ends. We have banks of 3-4 windows for the most part. We use them for privacy and for light control.

Funkyart thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

I don't think it will look right

Funkyart thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Jilly
    2 years ago

What about cafe shutters?

When you redo the windows later, you could use these for something else (or sell them). I bought some vintage ones off FB I’m planning to use.

Funkyart thanked Jilly
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks all -- I thought it would look funny too, Mtn -- and that's probably why I couldn't really create the picture in my mind.

I had forgotten about top down shades-- I didn't think it was a look for my home. But maybe. Functionally it makes sense.

Jinx, I love that look and it is ultimately the look I'd like for many of the rooms in my house (br's, office, breakfast room)-- but I would need custom shutters. My windows aren't even close to standard sizes and my current mcm windows have no trim which further complicates it. If I stay in this house, that will be the direction I go -- but it is a few years off.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

You might have seen this in your searches, but if not:

https://www.peahenpad.com/2021/01/cafe-curtains-in-white.html

She has pictures combining long curtains with cafes.

Funkyart thanked Jilly
  • Tina Marie
    2 years ago

I saw this on Pinterest. I can't really decide, but it is something portable, you wouldn't have to leave in the window all the time. Plus, I think it would depend on the fabric used for both the screen and the panels. Another option is window film. I wouldn't want that long-term, but since you are thinking of new windows in the next few years, it might be an option.

screen for lower window

Funkyart thanked Tina Marie
  • Fori
    2 years ago

I don't think it's any worse than cafe shutters (and I don't think those are bad either).

It may not be currently trendy but I'm sure you can make it work.

Funkyart thanked Fori
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

LOL Teeda! June Cleaver, I am not... but my vision would be a modernized version of hers. I am looking at two sizes of a navy check-- buffalo plaid and a larger gingham. My cafe curtains are on rings. I could always try it as a first step. If i don't like the look, then i can go onto plan B and replace the cafe curtains.

Tina, what a great DIY idea! I am not sure i have enough space for the inside mount-- but I might.

These are the styles i am considering for the breakfast room. All are ridiculously affordable and returnable locally so that's a nice bonus. I love the larger buffalo check but it might be too bold.

Breakfast Room Option 1

Breakfast Room Option 2

Current front runner Option for LR..

• teeda
    2 years ago

Love the choice for your LR, and think the buffalo check is a great idea for the kitchen. If they're easily returnable I would try both the small and large buffalo check.

Funkyart thanked teeda
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I am pretty confident after a second look that I am not going to be able to do anything with an inside mount until after the windows are replaced. I am going to give the cafe curtains a try since they are already in place. If that doesn't work, I'll revisit the plan for Breakfast Rm windows after I finish the LR. I'll also keep an eye out for odd size shutters on FB Marketplace, etc.

Thank you all for your input and ideas! I definitely have more options than I started with!

• Bunny
    2 years ago

I love 1 and 2. I could go with either.

Funkyart thanked Bunny
  • Tina Marie
    2 years ago

I love the dining room curtains!

• schoolhouse_gwagain
    2 years ago

I did this last year in the library on the tall schoolhouse window. I have long drapery panels, then put up a piece of lace to act like a cafe curtain.

This came about because I normally put the piece of lace up like a sheer behind the drapes in the summer, but the lace and rod fell. In order to put it back up I would have had to get the tall ladder from the garage. ugh. I was tired and just placed the spring rod in the middle of the window. I liked it! In fact it was better looking because the bottom of the lace panel is the same length now as the drapes. If that makes sense.

Funkyart thanked schoolhouse_gwagain
  • ratherbesewing
    2 years ago

I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but have you ever gone down the rabbit hole of ”tension rod uses around the house”? BTW, I prefer cafe curtains to top down bottom up blinds.

https://www.pinterest.com/peacehalo/diy-tension-spring-rod-uses/

Funkyart thanked ratherbesewing
  • schoolhouse_gwagain
    2 years ago

"spring rod" - tension rod. : )

• Olychick
    2 years ago

Not sure what style your windows are, but have you considered window film just on the lower part?

I like this if you need to peek out of the film section

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Again-- thanks all for your feedback. I like the larger buffalo check for the breakfast room. I think it is more modern and my house could use a touch of modern (replacing the ceiling fan will be the next bit of modernization) -- but it is a small room so i may find it too bold. The smaller check feels a little too country.. or too June Cleaver lol.

Not many comments on the LR pattern-- I have not yet ordered and have some also likes-- but the one above is my front runner. Do you think they will work well with the buffalo check?

Here's a closer look (they are from BBB).

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

Yes, Iliek them both and think they'd work well together. : )

Funkyart thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Oakley
    2 years ago

You can do what I do with any color curtain.

The kitchen and dining room window both have:

All white

Bottom half- 2 cafe curtains

Top half -2 panels

In front of panels, short valance.

For full privacy a white roller shade is at the top which can't bee seen.

Google, cafe curtains panels and valance and see what you get.

Funkyart thanked Oakley
  • Funkyart thanked Oakley
  • Tina Marie
    2 years ago

I commented on the patterned curtains! But I think I said dining room. I actually like them better than the checks.

• lizbeth-gardener
    2 years ago

I like all of your choices, especially the LR.

Funkyart thanked lizbeth-gardener
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks all-- the pattern is a departure for me so I appreciate the support.

Oakley, I can't really picture all the layers together-- valance, panels, cafe curtains and shade. Do you have a picture? Jinx shared a photo above with white panels and white cafe curtains that looks pretty-- but a little more precious than I am going for in these rooms.

The valance with cafe curtain is a classic-- but i want a more modern/less country look. Something like this mockup I cobbled together. My room would have more space between panels but similar setup.

I think it will work for the time being. I like the cafe curtains but like I said originally, they look undone without any other wt's. I think the panels finish the look. I'd prefer shutters-- but i do like the soft, airy look of the cafe curtains. They fit my style.

And now I want to paint the walls too. This all started with just replacing my LR curtains.

• jmck_nc
    2 years ago

My mom used to use cafe curtains that were on a rod at top and bottom so that they functioned more like shutters. I think having the bottom stationary vs free flowing may improve the look with panels.

Funkyart thanked jmck_nc
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Nice idea-- but would only cover the bottom panes only. That's fine for normal windows but my lower windows are wider than they are high. I hang the cafe curtains above the bottom panes. Thanks though!

• Sueb20
    2 years ago

I think the curtain fabrics will look great together — any combination.

I think cafe curtains looking ”undone” depends on the room or the style of the house. We have cafe curtains only in some of the first floor windows of our beach cottage and I think they look perfectly fine.

Funkyart thanked Sueb20
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

I used a spring loaded rod to add privacy to the bottom of my bathroom window...