Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kojo_prah49

Glazed porcelain tile in kitchen

Kojo Prah
2 years ago

Do glazed porcelain tiles work in a kitchen?

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

Why not ? You do mean porcelain not ceramic .

• User
    2 years ago

Matte glazed, sure. No gloss in a kitchen though.

• latifolia
    2 years ago

@Verbo, why no glazed on a backsplash? Seems like it would be easy to clean.

• loobab
    2 years ago

I don't understand the concept of glossy porcelain tiles.

If you wanted glossy, just do a subway tile or a different shape of that type of thing which is ceramic.

• Kojo Prah
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@User Something like the depicted. I've seen it in higher-end restrooms so I'm not sure why the kitchen would be more dangerous.

• Kojo Prah
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Patricia Colwell Consulting I do mean Porcelain

• User
    2 years ago

Gloss does not have the DCOF rating to be used in a kitchen. Despite Pin-Insta faux “designers” using gloss on kitchen floors, or hay on walls, or paper mache for furniture, it is a terrible and risky idea. You're the one who gets sued, and loses, when someone busts open their skull.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I have had high gloss laminate floors in my house for a long time I am 75 yrs old and not one hospital bill . I do however wonder what your style is that you want high gloss IMO best in a very contemporary space . BTW there are 1000s of cararra amarble high gloss floors in Europe and no bigger hospital bills than from matte finished floors .

• beesneeds
    2 years ago

Possibly for your floors or backsplash, but I wouldn't recommend any tile for a countertop/food contact surface. Even with larger tiles you can end up with a lot of grout lines, and those can be food/bacteria traps. Even with through regular cleaning. You are better off using a slab of something for your countertops- be it stone, laminate, ect- that is actually meant for food contact surface.

• loobab
    2 years ago

Kojo- please specify where you would like to place your high gloss porcelain tiles, because some of us are talking floor, and some of us are talking counter and some are talking backsplash.

• Fori
    2 years ago

1. make sure whatever you use is approved for use where you use it. That should prevent you from using something too slippery on the floor, for example.

2. test durability and stain resistance of whatever you want to use to be sure it will be able to handle the type of use you need.

Nothing wrong with ceramic tile, by the way. (If you want to get technical, porcelain is a type of ceramic anyway...)

• M Miller
    2 years ago

@Kojo Prah - understand that a hard surface like that in a kitchen will be hard on your feet and back. While the public restrooms you mentioned you are standing on for just a few minutes, try making a meal and then cleaning up in the kitchen while standing on such a hard surface. That is why people get wood or marmoleum in kitchens. You can choose to ignore me. But you’ve been warned.

• Kojo Prah
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@loobab I am talking about flooring

• M Riz
    2 years ago

Ive seen beautiful high gloss ”marble” tile in model homes and if you like the look, it is stunning. The risk of slip and fall is real, especially if you have a beautiful pool outside, kids and a dog. You really have to consider your lifestyle. For me, I wouldnt do it but I had a Matte ”marble” tile installed in my bathroom, its much safer and soft looking.