Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katyajini

Transplanting bean seedlings or not?

katyajini
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Are bean seedlings finicky and dont like being transplanted?

I am not sure if this would work: I am planning to plant some pole beans where my peas will be growing after the peas are done. So, say,the end of June? Can I start the beans in a pot and then transplant the whole root ball to the trellised area? This is simply to gain some time rather than direct sowing after the peas. I dont have another space to start the beans early. Normally I would plant the beans at the beginning of May, so I am losing at least 2 months if I direct sow the seeds after the peas are done. Or will the higher temperatures in July overcome any (slow) growth from planting in May?

Typically, I grow a plant that needs to be transplanted delicately in a one or two gallon plastic grow bag, choosing a bag size such that the plant will not become root bound. At planting time I dig a hole where the grow bag fits comfortably, sit the grow bag in the hole and then cut the plastic with scissors down two sides and gently pull the bag out. Then pat the back fill in place. This wont do much damage.

Do you think this will work? Is there something deep about sowing/growing beans that I am missing?

I will only grow 4 or 5 bean plants so it wont be too much work!

Thank you so much!

Comments (6)