Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hardypalmguy

Low-E Glass on Greenhouses

Tim Gonyo
2 years ago

Right now I have a wood frame greenhouse structure with double wall polycarbonate panels. I heat it all winter with a natural gas heater here in Wisconsin.

I’m moving this spring and will be building a new wood frame greenhouse. Instead of polycarbonate for the walls, I wanted to use the Jeld-Wen 36x60 inch windows in the walls. However I see they are low-E glass. I would still use polycarbonate for the roof since I don’t trust glass up there on a pitch. Would the low-E windows affect plant growth or the ability for the sun to warm my greenhouse? If so, where can I get double hung windows that aren’t low-E?

Comments (8)

• oberon476
    2 years ago

https://www.cardinalcorp.com/source/pdf/TGG_V3.0_Final_11-20-2020.pdf

Look at page 29 for discussion of plant growth and LowE coatings

• Janet Kupchick
    2 years ago

dear oberon,

your knowledge is so clear and helpful.

I am looking into replacement window guidelines for a condo development in Palm Springs, units face mostly W.-SW-S. Are there specifications for tints of Low-e that are more in a gray range that you are aware of?

thanks!

• oberon476
    2 years ago

Hi Janet,

What replacement companies are you looking at using?

If it's available from the company you choose, I would suggest asking about Cardinal's Quad LoE-452+. It has great low-solar-gain and U factor performance numbers in a neutral gray color.

• Tim Gonyo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

What if I want something that lets a lot of light and heat in?

• oberon476
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Then it depends on what you want for energy performance.

If you want maximum light and heat then a single sheet of clear glass will work best in that application, of course it will also allow all that heat to escape as soon as the outdoor temp drops below the inside temp and there is no sunlight on the glass.

But adding a second layer of glass plus either a single silver LowE coating such as LoE-180 or else a hardcoat will allow maximum (LowE coated) light and heat gain plus it will help keep some of that heat inside the greenhouse when the sun isn't shining.

You can go to any big box and order windows without a LowE coating, or else look in a restore or salvage shop for older windows. Most of them will probably be single pane however.

What part of Wisconsin is home?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

IMO low E glass is used to control heat so why not look at prefab green houses instead and then the decision is made and BTW I prefer a metal framed green house to avoid the issues with moisture and wood. I live where it gets cold in the winter so most greenhouses here are closed for the winter since heating is expensive . I have no idea what you grow in the winter in Wisconsin . I would need more info as to planting zone where you are . I lve in Zone 5-6 in Canada and to het a greenhouse all winter would cost more that if I just bought veggies in the winter . We can usually use the green house starting in early March with no additional heat

• Tim Gonyo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I grow Tropicals. Not a veggie grower

• oberon476
    2 years ago

That's why I asked what part of Wisconsin you are from. It's colder in the northwest than it is in the southeast (especially closer to the lake) so that would be a possible consideration for what you need.

I can't imagine trying to grow tropical anything in Wisconsin without a lot of supplemental heat.