Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ariel7576

Exo Terra Coco Husk as Planting Medium?

Has anyone here used or does anyone have opinions on the use of coco husk as a planting medium for aroids?

i presently have a Monstera deliciosa and a Thaumatophyllum (Philodendron) xanadu in it. The coco husk retains water readily but is quite chunky and airy. However, I suspect maybe tannins leaching from the coco husk is causing a leaf issue, predominantly with the Monstera but possibly the Philodendron as well.

Thoughts?

Comments (3)

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

From what I understand, coco husk (the chunky kind that is like croutons) is a good growing media. However, it must be washed multiple times to rid it of the saline/salt. The package says it has been heat treated and triple-washed so that seems to be correct. But what you are experiencing sounds like that isn't quite the case.

Just watched a great video on growing hoyas in straight coco husk.

• ariel7576 (Puerto Vallarta, Mex.)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Maybe 3 rinsings isn’t enough. I’m not (yet) ready to pull it out & repot. The leaf issue concerns me, though. I’d also like larger & more fenestrated leaves, but I’m impatient & I understand that I have no choce but to wait for it to grow out of its juvenile phase.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I wrote a piece comparing peat and pine bark to coir and coco husks a while back. You'll find some interesting facts and observations in it that should be helpful.

Peat vs. Coir

Sphagnum peat and coir have nearly identical water retention curves. They both retain about 90-95% of their volume in water at saturation and release it over approximately the same curve until they both lock water up so tightly it's unavailable for plant uptake at about 30-33% saturation. Coir actually has less loft than sphagnum peat, and therefore, less aeration. Because of this propensity, coir should be used in mixes at lower %s than peat. Because of the tendency to compact, in the greenhouse industry coir is primarily used in containers in sub-irrigation (bottom-watering) situations. Many sources produce coir that is high in soluble salts, so this can also be an issue.

Using coir as the primary component of container media virtually eliminates lime or dolomitic lime as a possible Ca source because of coir's high pH (6+). Gypsum should be used as a Ca source, which eliminates coir's low S content. All coir products are very high in K, very low in Ca, and have a potentially high Mn content, which can interfere with the uptake of Fe. Several studies have also shown that the significant presence of phenolic allelopathic chemicals in fresh coir can be very problematic for a high % of plants, causing poor growth and reduced yields.

I haven't tested coir thoroughly, but I have done some testing of CHCs (coconut husk chips) with some loose controls in place. After very thoroughly leaching and rinsing the chips, I made a 5:1:1 soil of pine bark:peat:perlite (which I know to be very productive) and a 5:1:1 mix of CHCs:peat:perlite. I planted 6 cuttings of snapdragon and 6 cuttings of Coleus (each from the same plant to help reduce genetic influences) in containers (same size/shape) of the different soils. I added dolomitic lime to the bark soil and gypsum to the CHC soil. After the cuttings struck, I eliminated all but the three strongest in each of the 4 containers. I watered each container with a weak solution of MG 12-4-8 with STEM added at each watering, and watered on an 'as needed basis', not on a schedule. The only difference in the fertilizer regimen was the fact that I included a small amount of MgSO4 (Epsom salts) to provide MG (the dolomitic lime in the bark soil contained the MG, while the gypsum (CaSO4) in the CHC soil did not. This difference was necessary because or the high pH of CHCs and coir.) for the CHC soil.

The results were startling. In both cases, the cuttings grown in the CHC's exhibited < 1/2 the biomass at summers end as the plants in the bark mix.

I just find it very difficult for a solid case to be made (besides "It works for me") for the use of coir or CHC's. They're more expensive and more difficult to use effectively. The fact that some believe peat is in short supply (no where near true, btw) is easily offset by the effect of the carbon footprint of coir in its trek to the US from Sri Lanka or other exotic locales.

That's the view from here. YMMV

Coir Study: https://sites.google.com/site/plantandsoildigest/usu-crop-physiology-laboratory/coconut-coir-studies

Al

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County