Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenmist

How far apart do you plant hydrangeas?

Garden Mist
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi everyone! I live in the PNW. Zone 8b. I have have 3 mophead hydrangeas that I want to plant on the north side of my house. I have a 16' garden bed to put them in front of my house. I would like to know if this is enough room? I have no idea how big they get. If they do get too tall and wide, can I keep them shorter with a bit of light pruning? One hydrangea would get morning sun, afternoon shade. The other hydrangea would get morning shade and afternoon sun. The one in the middle will get shade all day. Will that work?

Comments (4)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

Mopheads come in a range of sizes, from dwarfs to 8'x8' or larger shrubs. If you can tell us the type of mops you have, we can get more specific about sizing. But a 16' long planting bed may be pushing it for 3 full size macs. And pruning to keep size in check is usually not a good idea as it will reduce or eliminate any flowering.

Ideally, these are best sited where they receive morning sun and afternoon shade but in our typically cool summer climate, you can get away with more sun if you pay very close attention to watering and keep the plants away from any reflected heat.

• Garden Mist
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks so much gardengal. I have no idea what kind of hydrangeas they are. The person I received the clippings from in 2020 had a lovely hydrangea in her front garden and hers was fully grown. My guess it was about 4' or 5' tall. I've tried to find the name of it but I haven't been very successful. So now I have 4 little mophead hydrangeas and not sure where to plant them. When I planted my cuttings, the blooms were pink and not purple. lol - I believe I've shown this photo before. But just in case someone can recognize it, I'm posting it again. I would really love to find out the name of it because I absolutely love the color.

Full Hydrangea

Close Up

• luis_pr
    2 years ago

If you are going to plant offspring (cuttings) from that mother plant then I would assume 4-5' width dimensions at some point (contact this person to double-check the width and ask the person how old & wide the plant is in case her plant is still growing wider still). Like Gardengal48 suggested, that 4-5' width would limit you to three plants tops although people make hedges by planting the shrubs closer.

If you are planning to purchase mophead plants to grow then I would look for plants from the Cityline Series or the Let's Dace Series. These are very compact cultivars that sometimes have 2-3' dimensions. The Let's Dance Series includes rebloomer mopheads.

The blue/purple color of mophead blooms is affected by the availability of aluminum in the soil as well as by the acidity of your garden soil so it is possible to get different colors when you plant a cutting in a different location. So in my alkaline soils, the blooms are a shade of pink but in other relatives' homes in very acidic soils, their blooms are blue. I would normally have to regularly amend my soil with aluminum sulfate to try and get either purple or blue blooms.

Identifying specific cultivars of hydrangea macrophylla mopheads may be very difficult as many of the blooms of one cultivar resemble those of other cultivars "too much". The care is usually the same though.

Garden Mist thanked luis_pr
  • Garden Mist
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Luis.

Just want to say 'thank you' for your wisdom and guidance on hydrangeas. I've decided to go with 'Let's Dance Series' - I love that they rebloom. I think I would love the Rave! I will plant the ones I have, some place else. Thank you Luis. Will let you know how it goes.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville