Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_351793933

Please help with oddly placed fireplace living room design

Laurie H
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We loved your input. Thank you so much for the help! We updated the possible options and posted a poll: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6238543/please-help-vote-for-your-favorite-awkward-living-room-layout?share=clipboard

Some important elements about our lifestyle and awkward space are below.

1. This area is our primary entertainment and TV watching area. Hence, the TV must go someplace.
  2. We sometimes use the chairs in front of the fireplace to draw the mountain view, so a chaise would not work in this space. Swivel chairs seem ideal because they can easily be rotated. The dining room window also has incredible views.
  3. The rest of our home is transitional in design.
  4. A white custom door will soon cover the stereo closet.

I've attached photos of the area, attached areas, the floorplan and a possible layout. Thank you so much for your help!

Laurie H

Comments (17)

• Olychick
    2 years ago

I'm not sure why you haven't gotten any responses. Since some people insist no advice can be given unless you post pics and a complete floorplan, yet you've done both and no activity yet.Maybe this will pop your post up to the top again and be seen.

It's a great space. I can see the appeal of a sectional, of which I am a big fan, because your space has so much volume, it would fit the scale, I think. If you leave the swivel chairs (or get new ones) for the fireplace area, I would probably get a sectional with the L facing the tv and the other facing the windows by the fireplace. A large curved sectional would be beautiful.

Are you considering an area rug or two? One by the fireplace and one in front of the sectional. Some color would really add some life to your room, if you're open to it.

Right now, the things that are really 'off' to me are the sofa/console table behind the sofa. It isn't really needed and seems too big/tall for the sofa. You may need one if you get a sectional, depending on what you do for lamps. The matching end tables and the console just all seem too big and 'matchy' to me. And severe somehow. Dark, hard and very linear...while you have that lovely log ceiling that is warm and curvy and inviting. I'd try to bring some of that down to the human/living level.

The other thing, that I would change, but I suspect it's really important to someone in your home, are the speakers all lined up under the tv. I'd look for some kind of cabinet or have built ins made that could accommodate them and preserve the sound, but be more visually pleasing. They (to my eye) are kind of the focal point and I don't think you intend that.

This is smaller than what I was picturing, but notice the curved wedge in the corner. The other pieces can be as large/long as you want and I'd go big in your room. Not big and beefy overstuffed, but long.

This kind of reminded me of your room:

Another curvy one:

Laurie H thanked Olychick
  • arcy_gw
    2 years ago

We have certainly seen worse spaces for furniture lay out! To my eye your biggest issue is the ledge on your always open window. It's a waste of space. I would be inclined to push your furniture toward the window..so the TV and fireplace share the stage as it were. This might leave you with space in the alcove near the soon to be covered audio closet to put in a games table.

I totally agree chairs with swivels work in a room that is a challenge to set up for conversation and TV viewing.

Laurie H thanked arcy_gw
  • Val B
    2 years ago

I think I like that new layout better. Why don’t you try it with the pieces you have and see how it feels? The two chairs with the back to the sectional may look a little awkward in real life. I was going to suggest a new floorplan with 2 seating areas, like what you did. Do you need 2 chairs facing the window? Maybe a chaise would work better behind the sofa and in front of the fireplace.

Laurie H thanked Val B
  • Sammie J
    2 years ago

I really like your current layout. It seems functional. The option you posted seems weird to me with the swivel chairs behind the sectional. I would "cheat" the sectional (or sofas) towards the windows and center the seating area with the dining table. And, I'd add a huge rug to anchor the space.

Laurie H thanked Sammie J
  • acm
    2 years ago

Sure, that would work too -- treating the fireplace as it's own part of the room. It would also fix both of the issues that Olychick mentioned, and that stood out for me too: the dominence of the speakers on the wall and the flotilla of furniture around the back of the couch currently. Put a little table between the arm chairs for your morning coffee, get a great piece of art for where the TV used to be, and maybe find an area rug that will unify and define the main seating area.

I would ditch the console that's currently behind the couch -- it will just be a visual and walking barrier. Use it elsewhere in the house. You could probably keep one or both of the gray chairs, however, if desired and put one by the stereo closet to help close a conversational circle. (I'd try it on room side and TV side to see which feels more natural.)

Laurie H thanked acm
  • Laurie H
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hii Olychic, Thank you for the comments and pictures. Yes, the console behind the couch has always been iffy to me. My husband really loves those speakers, but we will consider replacing them with something that fits into a media console.

I was a little surprised that I didn't get any responses yesterday, and I didn't see yours until this morning. I'm not exactly sure why. But I'm so grateful you took the time to respond.

Thank you so much!

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Will the TV fit in the recess at the far end opposite the windows? You have the space for two seating areas, one for the fireplace/view end of the room and the other for media. I would do that with back-to-back sofas. Place the sofa table between them. One sofa faces the view and the other faces the TV with additional chairs grouped with each area.

Lake Martin Retreat · More Info

Laurie H thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Laurie H
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Arcy_gw,

Thank you for your input and help! After thinking about it a lot yesterday, I think I'm going to really change the layout. Please let me know what you think of the new layout.

• Laurie H
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wow! Thank you all! Your input has been super helpful! From all of your input, it seems like the console should go, and possibly a chair should be placed by the stereo closet. Val suggested a chaise, but we sit in those chairs to read and draw the mountains; so, I don't think a chaise would be comfortable enough. ACM's suggestion of an art piece centered on the wall where the TV currently exists makes excellent sense. Several people suggested an area rug, which is a great idea and will be placed once we finalize the drawing. In the new layout, the chairs facing the windows are the armchairs (non-swivel) currently by the stereo closet. Any thoughts about this updated design?

• Laurie H
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Maureen,

These are interesting options. I've resisted the idea of a sectional in the direction you described because it would cut off easy access to the seats. The other ideas are interesting too. We got rid of built-in cabinets because they were honey oak and looked dated. However, the design you showed looks nice. Thank you for your help!

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

It's good to have that piece of information--the built ins that were designed to complete the symmetry have been removed. I see a lot of oak in your trim out now that we see the rest of the room. I do think you need a console, something under the floating tv, but since you moved away from the book shelves I would not go back.

Laurie H thanked arcy_gw
  • acm
    2 years ago

I like your updated plan!

Laurie H thanked acm
  • Laurie H
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you acry_gw. I appreciate the feedback on the console.

• Laurie H
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you decoenthusiaste! I like your idea about two sofas. We will definitely consider this when buying furniture. Yes, the TV can fit on the wall opposite the windows. Thank you again for the help!

• Laurie H
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Sammie J. Thank you for your suggestions! We will definitely open to orientation and will add a rug once the layout is finalized.

• Laurie H
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Val B! I appreciate your feedback. Thank you for liking the new layout. A chaise would be tough because I don't think it would be super comfortable. We use those chairs for reading and drawing the mountain view.