Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_351793933

Please Help: Vote for your favorite awkward living room layout

Laurie H
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Thank you everyone for voting on the options below. It is March 3rd, 2022, and I think we have enough votes to make a decision. Option 2 (w/sectional) has 14 votes, Option 3 (w/sofa & loveseat) has 9, and Option 4 (our current layout w/sofa & 2 chairs) has 10. Although Option 2 with a sectional has the most votes, Option 3 & 4 (without a sectional) have more in combination, and many commented on the challenges of having a sectional. Hence, we won't be getting a sectional. Nevertheless, the input from all of you really helped. I hope this post helps other people with similar issues. Thank you so much! This forum is awesome!

After getting a lot of great feedback on this site, we've narrowed the possible layouts for our awkward living room. Please vote on the one you like best and let us know if you would still make changes. Since the photos are small in the voting box, I've added the photos to the main post too.

By the way, the dimensions of the room are 22.8" wide and 14.5" deep.

Please vote for the layout you like best. Thank you so much for your help!

Option 1: Separate room into two spaces. Replace couch with a sectional, move TV to different wall, get new square coffee table, and get console for TV. Main Pro: Easy access to seating. Main Con: Sectional would be on a wall, which I've read isn't optimal.

Option 2: Replace couch with a sectional, get new square coffee table, and add console under the TV. Put swivel chairs closer to the windows. Main Pro: TV doesn't have to be moved. Main Con: Sectional would prevent easy access to space from the entry foyer.

Option 3: Replace two seats with a small loveseat, remove console behind couch, and add console under the TV. Main pro: TV wouldn't need to be moved. Main con: The loveseat would have to be small 5-6' in order to have enough walking room.

Option 4: Current Layout

Thank you so much for your vote!

Option 1 - Separate room into two spaces. Replace couch with a sectional, move TV to different wall, get new square coffee table, and get console for TV. The one con is that the sectional would be on a wall, which I've read isn't optimal.
Option 2 - Replace couch with a sectional, get new square coffee table, and add console under the TV. Put swivel chairs closer to the windows. The con of this option is that the sectional prevents easy access to space from the entry foyer.
Option 3 - Replace two seats with a small loveseat, remove console behind couch, and add console under the TV. The one con is that the loveseat would have to be small 5-6' in order to have enough walking room.
Current config - Keep current configuration.

Comments (25)

• Laurie H
    2 years ago

Thank you so much Margaret! I love the thought of a round table.

• Yayagal
    2 years ago

Option 2 is the right one.

• Laurie H
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Yayagal .

• Paul NY 5b-6a
    2 years ago

Option 2 may be the most visually appealing, but I'm choosing 3 because it allows walking into the room on either side. A loveseat is usually less than 6 feet long; an apartment sofa, which could seat 3 people (snugly) is typically 72 inches--I just measured mine--and a loveseat, unless it has very wide arms, is closer to 5 feet.

Laurie H thanked Paul NY 5b-6a
  • Laurie H
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Paul NY 5b-6a! I agree that there seems something appealing about being able to enter that space from either side easily. Currently, we enter that area from each side equally. Thank you for your feedback!

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    2 years ago

I voted for #3 with #2 a close second. Like Paul in NY I agree that ease of moving around the room would tip me for #3. I have a sofa and loveseat with table in the corner where they meet - it acts like a sectional in that we have to walk around everything. Maybe I’m just cranky about everything lately but I hate extra steps.

Laurie H thanked Connecticut Yankeeeee
  • Sofia
    2 years ago

I voted for the current layout for sheer number of seats and flexibility. Our similarly shaped family room is laid out like Option 1 right now and dang I regret that sectional. There just isn’t enough seating for everyone when our adult kids come over and not much we can do to rearrange and add more chairs because…sectional. Yes, when it’s just our daughters and DIL, all four of them will snuggle up on the sectional with blankets to watch a movie. But the guys watching football? No way! For that, the sectional seats two and we’ve got folks sitting on the floor.

Laurie H thanked Sofia
  • Laurie H
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Connecticut Yankeeeee. I'm the same. The thought of needing to walk around the sofa gives me pause for Option2.

• Laurie H
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Sofia! It is good to know that you have a similar situation. We also have a lot of adult visitors, so the amount of seating is important. Thank you so much for sharing.

• Laurie H
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Margaret Carroll Interiors, I just wanted to make sure you got my thank you. I didn't realize you had to copy the persons entire name before the response was sent to them. It meant a lot to me that you loved the puzzle. It also meant a lot to me that you gave us the additional feedback of the floor lamp and round table. Thank you!

• Gloria Tran
    2 years ago

I voted for option 4 for the ease of moving around the room. My second choice would be option 3 for basically the same reason. The sectional in option 2 forces people to sit closer than they might otherwise choose, something to think about during this Covid time. You might consider getting a longer couch to fit more people. I definitely would keep the TV where it is because it can be easily viewed from the kitchen and eating table.

Laurie H thanked Gloria Tran
  • cubby14
    2 years ago

I agree with those above, I like the current layout for ease of entering the space and number of seats available. I would still put a long low console under the TV and lower it down to optimal viewing height. Beautiful space.

• Laurie H
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you, Gloria! You definitely know the space; so, it is nice to hear your perspective. It is true that the TV can be seen from the kitchen and dining table too. Thank you so much for voting! We need to catch up.

• Laurie H
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you cubby14! Yes, a media console would be a nice addition to the space.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I think current layout seats most adults comfortably. I would add huge square coffee table to be in reach of seating spots. I would add a sofa table behind sofa and possibly two guest chairs. They could be angled toward each other for additional seating when entertaining. I would figure out different speaker configuration and hide in a low console. It’s a great room with loads of potential.

Laurie H thanked Flo Mangan
  • Laurie H
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Flo Mangan! I think all your suggestions are great. The speaker bit is tricky because those speakers are so expensive and replacing them would be technically difficult. However, we will explore options. Thank you so much for input!

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

I voted for #3 because I think sectionals are a huge problem.

Laurie H thanked RedRyder
  • Laurie H
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you RedRyder! Although Option 2 (with sectional) is ahead in the poll, Option 3 and 4 combined have more total votes. My guess is that many people shy away from sectionals. Since Option 3 and 4 have more combined votes, we are definitely leaning toward one of these options. Thank you for the advice!

• kcooz07
    2 years ago

Upon looking further, I am changing my vote. Please subtract 1 vote from option 2 and add to keep current option. I would suggest a media console with one speaker on each side-I think they would blend in much more that way. Not sure about the third speaker-is it necessary to be on that wall?

Love the ceiling!

• Seajay Sparkles
    2 years ago

Laurie. I hope it’s not too late to comment on your gorgeous room. I vote for the current configuration. My suggestion to deal with the speakers and TV setup may be to place small black chests between the speakers. This would give you extra storage of media materials and make the area cohesive. I added a console in the color of the beams and two light chairs that could easily be pulled into the conversation area if extra seat is needed. Playing off Flo’s suggestion. Hopefully this will get the juices flowing.

• Laurie H
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Seajay Sparkles, Thank you so much for the great suggestions. I was thinking that two small chests would look good, but I wasn't sure. So, I'm so glad you suggested it! Thank you so much. The console behind the couch with the two chairs is also a nice idea. Thank you for the help!

• Laurie H
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you kcooz07! Great suggestion! The third speaker is a "center channel." I don't know exactly what that means, but it needs to be roughly in that area. We could change it to a different speaker, but I think it would technically challenging and super expensive. So, Seajay Sparkles idea is likely what we will try first. Thank you so much for your vote and suggestions!

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Look for gorgeous sofas and loveseats if you’re planning on new furniture. I have my second sectional and really wish I didn’t buy it. Our large great room (33 x 22) seemed to command bigger furniture than our previous house. But if I had waited (and lived with two chairs in this massive empty room) I might have gone a different route. Your current configuration is close to ideal. Maybe it’s some of the pieces that need replacing, but having the “space” between the furniture is much more convenient than a huge sectional everyone has to walk around. Your room is lovely! Not looking as “awkward “ as you think, but I don’t live there. 😂

Laurie H thanked RedRyder
  • Laurie H
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you RedRyder! Great suggestions again. I agree that the spaces between furniture is much more convenient. I think the fireplace makes the room awkward. We just have to get used to it. :)