Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_979133467

bathroom/laundry Layouts

HU-979133467
2 years ago

We’re getting ready to do a basement renovation and we are trying to figure out the best layout for a laundry area next to or within an existing bathroom and alcove/under stairs space. In the diagram, we are planning to expand the shower to be the full length of the wall it’s on (we think the previous owner just put in the cheapest stall possible) and the blue outlined area is the space we have to work with for where to put the laundry area. On the left, there is a rectangular space of ~20” with that is currently empty between walls (has the beginnings of an old chimney in it that never was finished!) The walls of the bathroom next to the alcove are easily changed, as is the doorway of needed.

I would prefer to have a side by side laundry set up as I’m fairly short, but I’m open to stacked if it makes the space work better. We are also open to compact size laundry units. I would love to have room for a utility sink, space for drying rack/line (I hang dry many items), and a bit of storage for laundry/bathroom items, but that may be asking for too much given the space. The other option is to have a sink that is dual purpose for the bathroom/laundry so I can have a bit of space to hand wash items in the sink if needed.

Any ideas/thoughts are welcome! Thank you!

Comments (7)

• Susan
    2 years ago

So change the bathroom door to swing into bathroom. Incorporate the extra 20” space below the bathroom wall into the laundry area. Put stacked W/D in the left bottom corner. Low hanging space beside it under steps. Long narrow divided trough sink on common bathroom wall across from W/D. Then door to laundry at upper right side of that space.

• HU-979133467
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks—would I get rid of the bathroom sink? There is about 5’ between the current bathroom wall to the area where the stacked machines would be. Is there any way to have side by side but still get a utility/drying/storage area? I’ve been searching for a dual purpose type sink, but hasn’t had much luck in finding something that seems like it would work.

• Susan
    2 years ago

My option would have separate rooms/sinks. You could also include the 20” behind bathroom for a small closet or built in shelves. The laundry sink would be smaller, but a small drying rack could be installed above the laundry sink or on the wall above it. Does that give you all of the utility/drying/storage you need there? I’d look for a small stainless steel sink with deep capacity. If you need even more space in the laundry area, you could get an even smaller sink on the bathroom side. You need a “to scale” plan on grid paper or digital app to get into the details and figure out sizes and how it will all fit together…like a 3D puzzle.

• Karenseb
    2 years ago

You might want to see how your dryer would vent before laying everything out.

I have a compact washer/dryer. The dryer is ventless which would allow you more flexibility.

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

How big is the space identified by the blue rectangle? How is the space where the red circle is?

• HU-979133467
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The blue rectangle is 66" horizontal on the page) and 63" (vertical on the page). The empty space is about 15" in width. Headroom under the stairs 49" where the red circle is, so tall enough for a side by side machine, but not to stand in.

• HU-979133467
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Is it better to move some of the bathroom plumbing to fit everything and/or make the den area to the right bigger such that the right stair wall aligns with the back bathroom wall instead of the shower jutting out into the room? We’ve asked a plumber about moving things and it’s easily within budget, just not sure it’s worth getting into the concrete to do so.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz