Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmandelkern1

duraseal Aged Barrel on red oak and Bona HD Matte finish

jmandelkern1
2 years ago

Had a very difficult time choosing a stain, but we love how it turned out. hope this helps anyone struggling with the decision

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

Good job keeping the red out.

• jmandelkern1
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks! That was top priority!

• kara0303
    2 years ago

Thank you! Just looking for this very thing today!

• kara0303
    2 years ago

I’d love to see a few more pictures. The stress of figuring out stain is crazy!! Is the aged barrel really dark? We have dogs so I’m trying to neutralize the red but keep the dog hair from showing too bad! Lol

• jmandelkern1
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We have dogs too. 2 of them but they don’t shed. I’m guessing unless you go very light (which with red oak is difficult), you’ll see dog hair. We love it because it has a very modern twist.

• Laney
    last year

I am so overwhelmed right now & stressed beyond after my house caught fire & my husband was injured badly & im trying to come up with a stain color for my redoak hardwood's downstairs & I need to find a lvp to match the " stain" downstairs how I'm going to pull that off idk ?! That's not even the tip of what I have to do to vet us back in our house ! I'm honestly don't even know what direction to go in anymore? I have searched & searched Nothing but I have seen anything that really hides the undertones without it being too dark ? I'd love to see more pics n here more about them? Thank you

• jmandelkern1
    Original Author
    last year

@laney I’m so sorry to hear all you’re going through and especially that your husband was badly injured. The most and only important thing is that he recovers quickly, fully and as easily as possible. As far as the floors go, they are definitely on the dark side and I’m not sure if you can match LVP to them. Stain Color looks different on every floor in every space and also depends on the finish. The same floor stain can look different in different rooms sometimes! I maybe you can have a section done and if you like it, have them make you a sample on the same wood as a sample you can take to match LVP. Or I would think a design pro could help with that. My aged barrel stain does hide all the pink/red undertones but as I said, it is on the darker side. Good luck and please reach out if I can help you in any other way. Hang in there.

• bethieb327
    last year

@jmandelkern1 Your home is gorgeous and so are the floors! Were the floors water popped before staining?

• jmandelkern1
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you so much @bethieb327! We’re very happy with how everything turned out, especially the floors! They were not water popped.

• bethieb327
    last year

Thanks so much for your quick reply @jmandelkern1 Happy to hear they weren't water popped. Gives me hope that I'll be able to achieve that deep rich look without it.

• jmandelkern1
    Original Author
    last year

You absolutely can, bethieb327! I had asked my floor people about water popping and I was told it wasn’t necessary in my case. My only suggestion is to make sure you do a couple of large sample areas with the finish you want to do to make sure you get what you want.