Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_787999982

Home remodel: layout ideas + furniture placement

Wendy Woo
2 years ago

I'm converting my 3-1 house to a 3-3. My biggest concern is the kitchen/dining area, which will now be one large, narrow box.

There is an arched wall opening between the living and dining room. I really like the charm of it (it matches the historic english cottage architecture of the home), but I plan to vault the ceilings since the home is dark. I think that means the arch will have to go. If so, my living, dining, and kitchen will be a giant narrow rectangle with no charm! The windows, unfortunately, on the entire entire exterior wall of the main living side face my neighbor's house (4.2 ft away). I replaced a window in the kitchen with a door to the outside so that backyard access wasn't solely from the back bedroom. I also didn't want entry to the back bedroom to be directly from the kitchen, so I added a laundry/mudroom. I included rough dimensions, but I couldn't add windows (sorry!). All exterior walls/rooms have 2 to 3 large windows.

Any thoughts for how I to design furniture/kitchen appliances with this new layout, or alternative layouts for a 3-3?

Original layout as 3-1:

Remodel 3-3 layout:

All ideas welcome!

Comments (8)

• Lisa Dipiro
    2 years ago

First thing i notice is the laundry room Three feet is nowhere near enough room to open a w/d door and load/unload. Full size are at least 32 inches room wall behind it. Leaves 4 inches. Unless yu do stacked on outside wall

Wendy Woo thanked Lisa Dipiro
  • Wendy Woo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, Lisa! My room dimensions are rough. It might be a little bigger, more like 4 feet wide. But yes, the stacked washer/dryer will have to be against the back exterior wall, with maybe wall-mounted, narrow shelving for storage on the sides. It's not a big room, but it is already framed out from the original house, so seemed like the best use (alternatively, it could be a walk-in pantry).

• Buehl
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We really need detailed dimensions - one with the widths of each wall/window/door/doorway and the distances between each wall/window/door/doorway labeled.

See sample below:

"...but I couldn't add windows..."

If need be, draw them in by hand so we can see where EACH window as well as the doors/doorways/walls are.

• Lisa Dipiro
    2 years ago

The pantry could be wash dryer closet and the other room a pantry/ storage

• Buehl
    2 years ago

Does it really have to be a 3-3 home? What about a 3-2 home?

• Buehl
    2 years ago

I haven't heard whether 2 bathrooms would be OK, but if so, I suggest this re-arrangement of the rooms. It gives you a larger Master Bedroom, Bath, & Closet as well a decent size Laundry Room.

Dimensions are approximate.

The wall b/w the Hall and Kitchen/Dining Room is in the same place, just modified. The Hall itself was modified to be 36" wide, plenty wide enough.

I wasn't sure what you plan for the wall b/w the Kitchen/Dining Room and Living Room, so I left it there. If you take it down, it does add a bit more space for the Kitchen/Dining Room.

• Buehl
    2 years ago

And, the Kitchen/Dining Room layout - two major options for now. Layouts 1a & 1b are basically the same, the only difference is the orientation of the table.

I have a couple of more ideas, but I don't have time right now to work them up and, besides, if you aren't OK with general layout, they will all probably need to be re-worked.

I have no idea where the windows are, so I worked with what I had and assumed windows all along the bottom wall - that's why there are no upper cabinets along that wall. If you can pinpoint the windows for us (i.e., measurements!), I can adjust appropriately.

Wendy Woo thanked Buehl