Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saralev226

Exterior brick color for blue house

saralev226
2 years ago

We got new siding a few months ago and just got a new door today. We are planning on painting the door red (not sure of the shade yet; nothing too bright, though). What should we do with the brick? Would you whitewash it or something else?

Landscaping will be updated at a later time.

Comments (8)

• housegal200
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Leave the brick. The blue wouldn't have been a first choice, but if that's not changing then the brick balances it out. A few things you can do to improve your curb appeal:

--Remove shutters for a cleaner look.

--Foundation plants on the left. You just have one shrub.

--More shrubs on the right all the way to the porch

--Deeper, more defined garden bed in front.

--Change porch pillar to a beefy white one with plain white wood or wood look railings.

• saralev226
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Aww, I like the blue! Our house was blue when we purchased it, but it was cedar and we wanted something more low maintenance. Good to know at least it looks more balanced now.

Thank you for the suggestions!

• tarhlfan
    2 years ago

I don't care for the blue either and I certainly wouldn't paint the front door red. If you are set on keeping the blue siding, consider whitewashing the brick. Not painting it a stark white

• saralev226
    Original Author
    2 years ago

A little late for the blue. I like it because it’s different from the rest of the neighborhood (not too many blue houses) without being a complete standout, and I also like the shade. It looks welcoming to me. But that’s what makes the world go ‘round, right? And also why I am not a designer, I guess.

• Sammie J
    2 years ago

To answer your question, I would leave the brick. As others said, it really balances out the blue.

Other suggestions: Rethink the red front door please. I'd probably go with a white to brighten up the area, and then add color in your landscaping and flower pots on the porch. If you have $$ left over, definitely change out the railings to be a beefier wood, painted white. I'd also consider a white flower box under the left windows to balance out the bay window on the right. Are you in love with your light fixtures? They look "off" in the space due to the fact that they have an upright design. Something like this would be nice...

• PRO
    Fairway Style Living
    2 years ago

Hi, Sara--

Love blue with brick and white trim here, too. I think a deeper blue saturation could make the perfect continuation of that contrast for your front door, and also shutters here.

My one big tweak to recommend would be seeing if larger shutters (with shutterdogs) could help balance the overall appearance here, realistically applied and in your darker contrasting blue tone. I think that would add a deeper richness to your overall palette and lean into your home's existing neighborhood character. Cheers!

• saralev226
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Sammie J, I think we are rethinking the red now! We are definitely going to change out the railings at some point, and I love the idea of color for the landscaping. Not in love with the light fixture. I would say I like it and it's better than what we had when we bought it 6 years ago. What makes it look off? To me it doesn't, but I really don't have an eye for design and maybe there is something I'm not seeing. Always looking to learn new things about design as we go about updating this house (almost done with the inside - just need to finish the foyer, which we are doing now, and then finish the basement)!

@Fairway Style Living, are you talking navy blue for the front door? That is what I think of when I hear "deeper blue saturation." I also know what you're saying about the shutters and considered that when we did our siding (I've read many posts about using more realistic shutters and definitely see the appeal for that in the right setting), but it also doesn't fit the style of our neighborhood.

@JustDoIt, THANK YOU!