Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_81612021983

[Solved] Need new dining table: what would look good in this space?

Partial D
2 years ago
last modified: last year

Hi, everyone. I moved into a new house in November. I basically filled the house with walnut. Every natural wood color on the first floor is walnut. I don't hate how it looks (I actually am very happy with how it turned out), but sometimes I wonder what it would look like if I could swap out a couple pieces for non-walnut wood, and now I may get that chance. My dining table from Article cracked all the way through and they are letting me return it. I'm thinking of getting a different table with natural steel legs and a wood top. White oak, cherry, maple, or just more walnut? What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

Comments (14)

• Yvonne Martin
    2 years ago

I agree to skip walnut but to choose another wood for variety. I have no comment on your possible choices but you might also consider a non-wood table: marble, glass, wrought iron, or even a color.

Partial D thanked Yvonne Martin
  • Kendrah
    2 years ago

I think you have a good thing going on with walnut. Current table looks great and I think a walnut replacement would too. If you want something different, I would do a material other than wood instead of adding a new wood into the mix.

Partial D thanked Kendrah
  • Angie K
    2 years ago

I,would go with a cherry table. I love natural cherry and it would go well with the walnut.

Partial D thanked Angie K
  • Jeff Meeks
    2 years ago

That looks great! I'm a sucker for some MCM. I would go with a cherry table.

Partial D thanked Jeff Meeks
  • elcieg
    2 years ago

How about introducing brushed stainless (the chandelier) with walnut?

Varado 84" Rectangular Conference/Meeting Table · More Info

BTW, the light looks a bit high off the table....33" is good.

Partial D thanked elcieg
  • Partial D
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Thanks for all the replies so far. I'll be honest, I don't love the feel of a stone or glass dining table, so I am pretty set on wood. This is the table I'm interested in in with various tops:

Cherry:

White oak:

Walnut:

Walnut butcher's block:

Also the chandelier was from the builder and I will replace it soon.

• ffpalms
    2 years ago

I love Patricia’s suggestion. I think your room needs curves to balance all the linear aspects. A white table would allow your current gorgeous wood pieces to stand out.

Partial D thanked ffpalms
  • Rachel
    2 years ago

First, you've done a great job decorating! Very pretty. I like the table you're thinking about in white oak. It'll pick up the color in your sofa. Question for you... Are those Pottery Barn counter stools? I noticed them, because we're considering them.

Partial D thanked Rachel
  • decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Round, oval and definitely light in feeling. The Saarinen sounds like it would provide those elements, and you can use your current chairs until you find the perfect ones. Maybe some blue ones to pull the mantel art colors into this end of the room. These aren't the right shade, but for the concept.

Swiss · More Info

Greenwich Village Apartment · More Info

Partial D thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Partial D
    Original Author
    last year

I got a new table. Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Due to practical considerations I did not end up going with an oval or round table. In fact, I didn't go with the table I wanted, I went for the same table I had before but in oak. I actually love how it looks. I also had time to replace the chandelier and add a couple more plants :) Thanks again for all the advice.

• Angie K
    last year

Love it. It looks great.

Partial D thanked Angie K
  • Rachel
    last year

Partial D Looks great! I like how it brings the sofa's leather color into that part of the room. Did you get Article again? Excellent job!!! You're a natural! Beautiful space! You need to help me! ;)