Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_368903710

Intersecting Hallway Lighting Dilemma

Kate
2 years ago

Hello! We are in the electrical phase of our new build and I'm struggling with where to place pendant lights in our back hallway that leads to the garage, laundry, mudroom and powder bath. I would like to use some pendant lighting along with recessed can lights. Here are the four options I've come up with, but not sure I love any of them (yellow circle represents a pendant light and pink circle represents recessed lighting). Ceilings are 10'. Thinking the pendant lights would need to hang slightly higher than the 8' doors. Any suggestions on what would look best? I appreciate any help/advice you can give me!

Comments (32)

• WestCoast Hopeful
    2 years ago

In that area I would do all recessed lighting. We have a spot in our entry for a chandelier and I 100% regret not making it a recessed light pole all the others in the hallway area and just calling it a day

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

Show more of the floor plan to indicate where all the doors lead to.

• chispa
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I did repeating pendants, but my hallway is longer, straight and visible from the kitchen, so that was my way of decorating the hallway. I also repeated the same pendants in other hallways in the house.

Light fixtures have gotten really expensive!

In your case I would just do recessed lights.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    2 years ago

Dan has a good point. You have lots of doors. Where do they go?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

The hall to the garage pot lights and I have no idea what a family foyer is but one hanging fixture in the sight line as you enter and the rest pots would be my choice all of it LED and all 4000K but I really do not understand what this area is for a lots of doors and alot of spaces are IMO just confusing.

• wdccruise
    2 years ago

@Patricia Colwell Consulting: "I have no idea what a family foyer is"

The "servants' foyer" is downstairs. This is the light installed there:

• 3onthetree
    2 years ago

My first reaction was all recessed. However, I think what is throwing me off is your term "pendant" and what my mind pictures associated with that term. Parsing words, but I think you need "semi-flush ceiling mounted" lights. You don't want to hang lower than about 18" (10' ceiling to 8' doors+casing), and there are many options for semi-flush for that. In that respect, your desire for a little light bejeweling on the long walls is not a bad desire. A scheme with 3 in a row could work, depending on the fixture you choose. The single fixture scheme would accentuate an arrival point at that placement, which you do not have in the middle of the hallway, so I would eliminate that scheme.

About other commenters' hubbub with the doors, the garage lighting may not throw enough light into the door inset, assuming a typical garage placement of 2 ceiling lampholders. And hopefully you have a curb for the door to the basement stair to block settling carbon monoxide.

• M Riz
    2 years ago

I would do led recessed lights to keep it streamlined, unless your hallways are extra wide, the pendants will look like extra clutter (im not a pro). I would however, consider these led lights. I have them in my home and are great in areas where you could use light, but not full blown. We have them in our back hall for anyone who comes home late, or guests who dont know their way around at night. We used them in a few places around our

home.

• Kate
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you! I appreciate the advice. I think keeping it all recessed may be the easiest solution. And the door to the garage and the back basement stairs did change location a bit, so we no longer have that door issue that you see above.

• 3onthetree
    2 years ago

This is an example of a semi flush ceiling light, which many houzzers probably have something of similar genre in hallways in many of their ideabooks.

• Kate
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you, 3onthetree! That is perfect! So would you suggest maybe the third option I shared above (3 semi-flush lights in the longer hall and 2 recessed lights in the shorter hall)? I don't want it to look busy, but I love a little visual interest. These halls will have 5" wide tongue & groove wainscoting 3/4 of the way up to help keep the walls clean as it will be used for anyone entering from the garage, driveway and backyard pool.

And thank you MRiz! I will have to look into those! I like the nightlight option!

• 3onthetree
    2 years ago

I think either the 2nd or 3rd schemes can work, depending on how "ornate" your fixture selection would be (more ornate = farther apart).

- Interpolated the 2nd scheme lights as 7' between, provides better lighting for closet

- Interpolated the 3rd scheme lights as 9' between, provides the same peek through the back exterior door (assuming all have a window lite) at the ceiling light as does the side exterior door. And visually ties the "wing" of the hallway turn to the main "straight" of the hallway, especially if the wainscot continues completely around.

• Jennifer K
    2 years ago

I would put semi-flush fixtures where 2 hallways intersect. So, the 1st and 3rd yellow dot from your option #2. For the rest, I'd place pot lights wherever they'd be useful-- e.g. in front of closets.

• Kate
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you!! Yes both doors are 3/4 lite with SDL's. I'm liking the idea of being able to see the fixture from both entry doors. I would go with something simple and classic like 3onthetree shared above. The hall will have gray porcelain tile floors, white wainscoting that wraps around both hallways, white baseboards and crown, 2 panel shaker doors and black door hardware.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

Impossible to offer good advice when requested information is not provided.

• M Riz
    2 years ago

It would be too late for her to get a local architect and start over as would be your advice if she posted the information you‘ve requested.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

Why would you want her to get a local architect?

It would be nice to know what the adjacent spaces are for those that do not like to design in a vacuum.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    2 years ago

It’s a lighting request not a home redesign

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

I am trying to answer the OP's lighting question and would like more information. I can't do anything about others (M Riz and WestCoast Hopeful) malicious misconceptions, I am only trying to answer the OP's lighting question because the construction is to that point.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    2 years ago

Malicious misconceptions, spat my drink out, it’s a question about where to place a few lights. End of story.

• M Riz
    2 years ago

Not even good at gaslighting lolz

• 3onthetree
    2 years ago

• Kate
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That is correct, 3onthetree. Thank you! :)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

'A' and 'B' are light fixtures hanging down approximately eight feet above the finished floor appropriate for the style of architecture; another fixture of the same design could be added between the two. I am afraid to ask the style of the house in fear of being attacked by hyenas. 'C' is a surface mounted non-heat producing fixture in the closet. No need for additional fixtures if the proper fixtures are selected. The location of fixture 'B' would be important if the door leading to the garage was moved to alleviate the door conflict.

The locations for the switches for the fixtures (and other fixtures) would have to be worked out in the field; it appears little space was allowed for them in some locations.

• dan1888
    2 years ago

Looking at the floorplan as labelled, I see some changes to simplify things. Eliminate the garage to house entrance. Add a wall at that door location. Move the basement stairs right with the use of a landing to gain space at the top. Remove the 'L' of wall separating the new garage entrance from the house using the garage to basement door.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

Dan - take cover.

• M Riz
    2 years ago

^ .Mike,i see youre doing your part to fight toxic masculinity. op is at the electrical phase so im guessing the structure is there

• dan1888
    2 years ago

Electrical is before drywall. So the changes I listed would be reasonable, imo.

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

I don't know how contemporary the house is, but I think there is an overuse of recessed lighting in a lot of new builds and they look like retail or commercial environments as a result. But that's my opinion.

You could get away with something as minimal as this, with the right fixtures:

(Which is one that Mark posted I see now.)

Or you could do something like this. I don't think you need anything on a 4 foot grid or anything. Plus you need something in the coat close at the cross hall.

• M Riz
    2 years ago

Did you consider sconces, i was just browsing insta. Thisis the front hall, but they were used throughout the home.

• Kate
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all so much for helping me think through this. I decided to go with 3 light fixtures placed evenly down the longer hall (similar to how Mark drew it). We will also have a light in the coat closet, as suggested. I imagine it will look somewhat similar to this photo once it's finished. Thank you, again!