Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jess_geerling

How to make my corner banquette more inviting and functional?

I redid a little corner of my kitchen that seemed like such wasted space into a corner banquette area with wall paneling. I love where it's located now and how it looks, but we NEVER use it. I really wanted this to become the family seating area or the spot company gravitated to, but no one sits there including myself. I think it's because of my choice of pillows for the back (too puffy?) and that we all don't feel it's comfortable enough... but I really don't know. I don't actually keep the decorative pillows on it - it's now JUST the beige pillows but it's still too puffy. What changes should I make to get more use out of this or make it more inviting? I attached a photo of with and without pillows. :)

Comments (74)

• Jessica Geerling
    Original Author
    last year

cute! Im open to anything at this point, doesn't have to be the "breakfast nook" - all my furniture is reusable in other areas of my house which is what I tend to buy so I can move things around as I want. :)

• everdebz
    last year
    last modified: last year

New day and I saw another thing. The beadboard isn't 'needed' because the corner has 2 parts already: solid paint and wallpaper.

Do you have thoughts about the wp? is it metallic a bit?

Jessica Geerling thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    last year

We've spoken up, and it can feel confusing. To be specific helps- is the chandelier somewhat beaded, or macrame-type rope? bohemian!? It has a dressy drapeyness. As said, there are too many things together. I like the seating idea as you have it.

• Jessica Geerling
    Original Author
    last year

yes, we've had that wallpaper since we moved in! the flowers are gold/metallic - I just painted the lower half and put that molding up. (I know, you're not supposed to paint over wallpaper) The chandelier is wood beaded. :)

• everdebz
    last year

im confused what was painted.. can you live without the wallpaper? "Sorry."

• Jessica Geerling
    Original Author
    last year

just saw this photo of the same modular bench but with a table off to the side and using the bench as one seat. Interesting! Yes, I can live without the wallpaper, it's been up for a looong time. the velvet curtains were up before I even did this project and after I realized it didn't work so I swapped to sheer white curtains instead and hoped they would just drape behind the back corner of the one side. I think I have to just pull the whole thing out and start from scratch and rethink the entire space.

• everdebz
    last year

I felt bad cause I thought it might've been a recent project. I can't figure what the nearby areas look like, but if it's on pause, I'll wait until later.

• olychick
    last year

I love your wallpaper!

Jessica Geerling thanked olychick
  • jackowskib
    last year

I love the look! Consider replacing the 2 chairs with some that ooze with comfort. On the back wall I think a trimmed puff back could look inviting. Build it right on the wall. No pillows needed.

Jessica Geerling thanked jackowskib
  • herbflavor
    last year

i always like drapes..yours look quite full.I'd install a rod w rings higher up and create the ability to swoosh out of the way.... You can cut that into halves or thirds to hang in sections as well...... a seating bench [furniture piece] pulled forward from the mass of drapery a couple inches will help along w adjustments to the drape..... you could right now remove the benches you have..pull table out and place chairs in the corner and see if more people use it. here are bench ideas....think about a diagonal pitch instead of right angle extending all the way around the corner......a smaller freestanding bench can go on the diagonal too......sometimes thats more inviting ......note the last pic w full drape....theypulled the seating away....I think you need to adjust the drapery your space is not big enough to be able to work around a drape hung like you have.. I would not get rid of it....adjust it. go ahead and pull the benches out and place chairs and maybe look for a two seater furniture bench on craigs list . a version of the 2nd pic fully upholstered...smaller scale tho....place on the diagonal.... that would be a great find...then you can invest in a couple really good chairs w arms ...comfortable....etc....

L-Shaped Corner Bench with Storage · More Info

Project Tiny but Luxe · More Info

Pleasant Valley · More Info

• shirlpp
    last year

It's not flowing. The kitchen is lovely, but that corner area is out of place. You HAVE got to get rid of that chandelier in that spot for starters.

Jessica Geerling thanked shirlpp
  • everdebz
    last year

I'm glad there's response, and I think we need to see photos in all directions so we see where wp is, etc. Here's more showing your proportions [high board] used by others. Like I said, I like the seating idea, and how you added pillows.

Maybe painting the board only? It might need a more casual use of accent color already in the area, so that it's more tied in, part of the room.... ? please show us more.

MDVN · More Info

Kid Space · More Info

• arcy_gw
    last year

Great idea to lose the chairs, bench seating for two with a rectangle table so two can actually eat off table from bench. That will make the space not flop over into walk ways. Truth is chairs will always be chosen over the bench. Always. If you want people to use the bench remove the chairs.

• Angel 18432
    last year

It looks like you have a kind of boho feeling going on and I think it's the wall paper that

is throwing everything off - it's very formal. I love all your art - and you love color !

The drapes on the door should be hung as high as the drapes in your living area so the

line across is straight from one drapery to the other. I think you may need a rug in the living room from what I can peek.

More picture would be helpful if you didn't mind sharing - of the entire area.

• housegal200
    last year

I'm retracting my suggestion for a dining bench, no bench actually, but two small, comfortable upholstered chairs where someone might sit down with their laptop away from the kitchen activities. It's a small corner to eat in, plus you have an island where everyone probably does eat. It's very formal looking, still, compared with the informality of a kitchen, as if it belongs in another room. It's too bad since your little space is a reflection of something cozy you had in mind. Why don't you sit there?

Jessica Geerling thanked housegal200
  • Maureen
    last year

After seeing your additional pictures, I don’t think that corner will be used for seating no matter how you adjust. I’d definitely remove the wallpaper, as wall feels busy/broken up and its design is not flattering in your space in general, which is really important to consider.

Can you try your hutch there (only the large art where hutch was and will feel more spacious and modern). Less is more. To tie in with black door, you could paint (or chalk paint doesn't need sanding). Change handles, keep the top clutter free and consider how you accessorize inside. Could be a lovely focal point. Add a semi flush fixture that works with hutch and island‘s lighting.

Suggest a long, black curtain rod, so left drapery panel can rest on the wall.

• coray
    last year

I honestly think I’d lose the curtains….they make the corner feel cramped, esp if you end up going with a corner bench. (If you end up with a bench along only one wall, you’ll probably have room for the drapes.) Expansive walls, wide doors and plenty of room allow for all of it, but that space of yours doesn’t seem huge, so maybe something’s gotta give? (We had to do a similar thing in our house and lost the drapery panels over our sliders…..it just seemed too squeezed. The previous owners had 6 panels along that one wall, which seemed like overkill to me.)

• Jilly
    last year

Lots of ideas here, maybe will provide inspiration?

https://decoholic.org/the-best-kitchen-corner-bench-with-round-table-ideas/

I love your wallpaper and light fixture … I’d go in that direction with the rest of the house. :)

Jessica Geerling thanked Jilly
  • N Johnson
    last year

There are two things I see that would turn me away from that corner: 1) the table is too small for 4-5 people. It “looks” like a small 2-seat bistro table — what is the diameter? and 2) the drape is in the way of someone sliding in on the bench. Before it was because the drape was heavy, now it is white and I’d get it dirty or wrinkled. I think it would help if there was no window covering or a blind of some sort. You might also want to think about swivel chairs

Jessica Geerling thanked N Johnson
  • herbflavor
    last year

looking at your pictures of the space a little more....I wonder why it has to be "corner" usage.....seems like with no other eating type seating right around there besides the island I'd invest in something like these sets. These give you years of enjoyment and the kids can take these sets when you downsize or whatever as nice quality will get used and be desired later for some other usage.......Has that been ruled out?

Bali Hai Coastal Dining Area · More Info

Tommy Bahama Home Bali Hai Tropical 5 Piece Game Table Set · More Info

House Beautiful 2013 · More Info

Jessica Geerling thanked herbflavor
  • Jessica Geerling
    Original Author
    last year

@herbflavor Nothing is ruled out. haha it's actually how we used to have this space laid out - the table in the middle and had the pendant light over it. I just felt like our space was closing in on us and everything was so crammed together so wanted to see if a cute corner breakfast nook would work. But maybe it's because we also had something against the wall in that corner. We tried putting this table with 4 chairs in the middle again after I realized no one was using it and it felt the same way again where we had NO space to walk around. I think the problem really is that I don't like the open floor plan anymore. I also did want to try to create some visual interest in our space because it was just a big square / boring construction. (but I also did have a rectangle table before, too - so maybe round and more of a natural/soft material like wood would warm things up)

• Jessica Geerling
    Original Author
    last year

also @herbflavor I LOVE this inspo pic. This is how I was hoping it would turn out in our space - with that white and gold table but also comfy back. I just couldn't figure out know why the nook in general doesn't work in ours. (am getting lots of great suggestions and feedback though!) I have not mastered the skill of what's in my brain to the physical space yet... this is wonderful, though thank you! After seeing this, I feel like we really need to raise the chandelier even more now.

• Jessica Geerling
    Original Author
    last year

@Angel 18432 It's so interesting that people have commented the wallpaper was formal... I thought it was really fun and almost whimsical vs. formal.

I'm embarrased to show the rest of my space because none of it is working right now and I'm in the middle of just overhauling everything to see if we can make it work in this house and be more functional for us or if we should list it. Also, I always like to use "stand in furniture" with a new layout first before I buy something to make sure I even like location, etc.. so there is also a lot of that going on here so you'll see things just don't match. BUT I'll share some pics with those caveats. haha

Maureen I love all your suggestions too and wondered if hutch would be good there, but then I always feel there needs to be something where the hutch currently is that is TALL to visually separate the the living room and dining/kitchen space.

Also, the builders put in hideous built ins by the fireplace in living area that I've been wanting to rip out for years but just haven't gotten around to it yet, (because then we'd have to deal with flooring replacement, etc which gets complicated) but I think it will help my living room layout as well. Maybe it's time to just do it! I'll post pics soon.

• Jessica Geerling
    Original Author
    last year

Jinx Those are GREAT inspo pics!!! They seem to have all the same elements (bench with cushion, pendant,) Why can't mine look like those?! It sounds like it is probably because of where it's located on my floorplan that doesn't make sense.

• Angel 18432
    last year

Hope you are not confused out of your mind with all the suggestions.

Something else to consider, your home has to flow from one area to another.

Can't have one area "Country" and the next "formal" - then it doesn't work.

Not that yours is either one, Just an example.

Jessica Geerling thanked Angel 18432
  • Jessica Geerling
    Original Author
    last year

Angel 18432 probably one of my biggest issues :( I like so many styles and also like an eclectic look, but can be hard to make work!

• everdebz
    last year

We're behind you, and sitting with you lol... so it's obvious there's interest in the process. Have we even seen the open area near this? If those are doors to the outside, no wonder you couldn't have comfortable breathing room.

Does anyone play chess, or board games or solitaire? I think if you pare down and leave table and 2 chairs, it's possible someone would use it, ya never know! At least post a minimal bistro set, without the curtains?

• Jessica Geerling
    Original Author
    last year

okay, you asked for it. :)~ I know the living room is awful! Those built ins drive me nuts, so just pretend they don't exist. To take them out is a much bigger project that will involve reflooring, etc so I just use as plant stands for now (but would love a different layout in living room someday once they're gone) Basically everything in my house aside from bedrooms is in one room and I tried to make each a little different, but it just ends up looking too busy and chaotic when all together. I do like color, but just pops of it and haven't quite learned the art of that, yet.. so I've been just getting very basic colors recently. (also trying a different pendant over the kitchen island as you can see) .We've had the chicken wire ones with the barn door (back when I loved farmhouse 10 years ago, and am now sick of it - so trying to slowly switch it up) I'm starting to realize maybe the bigger picture of the breakfast nook is more that it doesn't belong in this layout and that's why it's not functional... I did recently order a long black console table that is also a filing cabinet but looks like a console table to use in place of that brown console table or under the tv... because this is also our office sadly.

• Jessica Geerling
    Original Author
    last year

everdebz 👆

• Jessica Geerling
    Original Author
    last year

housegal200 I actually do sit here to work a lot ;) but was hoping it would be used by more people, but maybe it can just be a work space situation and we just don't have a dining table since our island is enormous.

• everdebz
    last year

I didn't even look yet, because you mentioned layout twice -- and there are houzzers esp. good at that. Editing that it seems fine -- does it work, mostly?

• everdebz
    last year

Basics about permanent elements: what surfaces are ceilings? what color and is it same color as the walls?

• everdebz
    last year

If you're 'game' removing items for photos could help too. Well, back to the seating: nice table and wood chairs with lines like the stools. Sofa is nice and basic.

Sort of farmhouse pendants, ok. Sort of boho chandelier. Taking stock- are those staying? are they sellable, 'sorry' to ask? or.. place chandelier somewhere - in bedroom or hall?

• everdebz
    last year

You did nice tying in the white lower with the rest, but idk...

the art placed high on the wall might be the brighter version of the curtains, nice. Could hang in corner.

• olychick
    last year

OMG, that dog portrait!!! Adorable.

• everdebz
    last year

Houzzer's suggestion to place furniture there seems good - currently, does it almost crowd the window?

Chalk paint it in a complementing color, and it'd be a 'corner focus'. When any sun shines on glass items, it's a pretty thing. :)

• everdebz
    last year

As you said you're moving away from any rustic - the light rustic brown pieces, like the low one behind sofa -- maybe could go where tall unit is, with a nice mercury glass lamp on it.

Are you favoring mostly gold/brass finishes? If you bring bright art into eye level, maybe you would like lamps' cool-toned finish.

Or like the warm-colored curtains, you might like warm-toned metals. Something to mull over with time.

Modern teardrop design and vintage metal finish [also in gold]. 29” H. Base is 5 – 7”. Linen tapered shades are 15" W x 10. 5" H

29.25" Vintage Metal Modern Table Lamps With Teardrop Design, Set of 2 · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

What color is the fireplace - I wouldn't do stark modern white lampshades, just me I guess...

Your other pendant's dark finish - with your styles, plural :)

maybe this type, just idea - stain color glass solder wrapped in copper foil.

Vines Tiffany Glass Table Lamp, Natural · More Info

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

That little corner looks like a lost alien in the open space that is so much more casual, with such rustic casegoods. Personally, I would have painted all of the wall paper and hung that great pink and aqua painting centered 5' above the floor. A nice little settee below it with a "C" table or small cocktail table would suit me. These are a bit fou-fou for your space, but they are to show the cocktail settee concept.

Midtown Modern · More Info

Master Bedroom Suite Entry with Settee and Inlaid Wood Floor · More Info

Bedroom Nook · More Info

• Angel 18432
    last year

Thanks for pics. What built ins are driving you nuts? Am I missing something?

You have a lovely space - stop being so hard on yourself.

• Jessica Geerling
    Original Author
    last year

the ones on both sides of the fireplace. :)

• herbflavor
    last year

based on this version I 'd look for a nice area rug under the table.... search for comfy chairs..looks like that table could remain...go ahead and get the doggie pic up on the wall..conversation pieces are good.....and put some pottery on top of that desk....you really dont need that much help. the corner banquette was maybe just a little bit of stretch for the spatial arrangement you have. Just keep focused on making it comfortable and people will use it I think. If you want a bigger wood table thats always the most inviting.

Captain's House on Cape Cod · More Info

Arlington Bachelor Dining Room · More Info

Round Pedestal Trestle Wood Dining Table · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

I'm impressed by the new corner! Now the chandelier seems almost 'at home' there. I think from here, we saw a chandelier looming large over a 2-seater... better now.

• nhb22
    last year

Jessica Geerling - I am late to the discussion, but I think the main problem was that your family was used to eating at the island? Change is hard. 😀

We built a new house. I had always wanted a banquette corner. The bench is wide enough to accommodate the pillows. Cushion is 4" thick. Tall enough for plenty of leg room, and there is a toe kick. DH and I eat all of our meals here, and our grandchildren love sitting in the banquette when visiting. The rest of our family likes it, too. The only time our kitchen island stools are used is by the grandchildren doing art projects.

Looking at your photos, your space seemed too small, and the bench did not appear to fit well in the space. Too narrow, not long enough on one end, and too short on the other. The cushion looked thin. The curtain and chandelier were too heavy.

Overall, you had a great idea, but it just did not work for your family. Your changes look good, and I like that you have reused the bench in your back hallway. Love, love your dog painting. Looks like my dog!

Our banquette and kitchen area. It helps that we have a TV to watch while eating!

• Maureen
    last year

That set up looks a lot better. Before buying new chairs, be sure table is large enough. If having to change, you’ll want chairs to suit.

• Jilly
    last year

This is an enjoyable thread, so much great brainstorming. Can’t wait to see what you come up with. :)

• coray
    last year

Jessica, whether you use a built-in corner bench or place the table more towards the kitchen is up to you…both ideas should work. Your choice depends on how it feels to you when you’re walking around the space….that will be a good indicator. I think (as others have mentioned before) there was a bit of a disconnect to the rest of your space…..this one little corner seemed a bit too glam compared to the rest. Also, the curtain was in the way of someone sitting on that side, and you had (which you realized) way too many throw pillows on the benches. Nhb22 makes some good points: If you would like to keep the bench set-up, a better, slightly deeper bench with a comfier cushion (maybe one nice pillow in the corner) will do the trick. So: play around with your different ideas (maybe lose the glam chandelier and wallpaper?), see what feels good and gives the best flow, and go with that option. We can all dole out advice, but you’re the person that lives there and must like the way it feels. If you make this seating area inviting and comfy, they will come! When it’s finished, it should feel cozier than the island.( Disclaimer: I am not a pro and this is just MHO.😉)

• Abundant Farm Designs
    last year

@Jessica Geerling I'll admit that I personally LOVE banquette seating. It feels so cozy and functional to me. That being said, I really like the most recent picture where you pulled the table away from the wall and had it more centered in that space. It gave everything in that area some "breathing room".

That tulip table is lovely and I'm also a fan of the wallpaper. So if you love it, keep it. Looks like there may even still be room to leave a straight bench (not L shaped) on that wall if you wanted too. Almost like a mini entry space. The hutch isn't bad though either. I actually think you've got a lot of great pieces to work with, but it could use some editing. Pick your favorite things and take the rest out.

The bohemian pendant seems to be a bit much, but if you love it find away to incorporate bohemian elements in the rest of the space. Perhaps swapping the pendants over your island to repeat that design element. In order for rooms to look cohesive, the primary elements should be repeated 3 times and spread throughout the space, this helps tie everything together. If possible, I would also swap those chairs for something more upholstered and add a rug underneath to define the space, if you want to up the cozy factor which is what it seems like you were trying to accomplish with the banquette.

All in all, you've got a great space, it just needs some tweaking and editing. Looking forward to seeing what you choose! :)

• everdebz
    last year

"Sorry" again, though I appreciate the wp, because it has metallic flowers, and the white vent, I don't like it there.