Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
koushalya

Help. What to do with this space above cabinets

K Sub
last year

We have no idea what to do with this space above the kitchen cabinets. It's awkward and we don't want to fill it with big unnecessary baskets from Marshalls. Anyone have any ideas?

Comments (21)

• PRO
    MDLN
    last year

Build cabinets up to the ceiling.

• arcy_gw
    last year

Yep this is why cabinets should go to the ceiling or why I have decided my soffits aren't so bad. Gotta say my young people i.e. daughters/ daughters in-law all with new homes have returned to the days of decor a top them. I prefer when they are topped with personal items that give you incite into the homeowner vs Wayfair 'home decor' type trappings but that's my bias.

• privateprivateprivate
    last year

Leave them be. It’s nice that they’re straight across on top, let that straight line calm the space. BTW, I like you’re kinda cool angled ceiling in one area.

If I were to do anything with this kitchen, it would be to get a fridge that doesn’t jut out so much. Ouch! If that just isn’t possible, I’d have the cabinet above it moved out from the wall, and if possible, side panels installed, so the front plane of the fridge at least looks intentional.

• HU-187528210
    last year

While I do think having cabinets going up to the ceiling would be nice,
    I think adding new, more decorative hardware to the cabinets will be enough.
    It should distract the eye...

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last year

Might suggest adding short cabinets to the existing uppers. Would also suggest they be glass fronted. They can be used for display and can be equipped with puck lights. Might also suggest if it is within your budget that you consider replacing your cabinet doors (upper and lower). They style is dated and looks very builder grade. Good luck!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

IMO there is not enough space to add cabinets there and if you rtry they will look silly since they will not be able to hold anything. Just leave it and I agee add interest to draw the eye away from that .I see other issues in thta space that would be a bigger concern. Is this a new build or just new to you?

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    last year

Nothing at all. As someone else said, don’t draw the eye up.

• ci_lantro
    last year
    last modified: last year

Ignore it.

Adding cabinets on top isn't really an option here because there are two different ceiling heights. The angled one in the wet area and the full height ceiling where the ovens are.

Even if possible, the areas being small, cabinets to the ceiling would be overpowering.

• Maureen
    last year

Nothing on top, but you could add larger molding on cupboards as well around ceiling.

To draw the eye downwards and to add more style/interest, suggest a hanging pendant over sink (which will also distract from ceiling vent) and complementary hardware.

A more up to date blind to finish things off and your kitchen will be transformed at little cost.

• tfitz1006
    last year

Nothing up there. The only things I would do is at some point address the refrig issue. I'd also consider a roman shade at the kitchen window to add some color and texture.

• M Riz
    last year

I really like your kitchen. Its calming and clean (not too much going on), its also not open concept or particularly large. For that reason I wouldnt put extra stuff up there. Sometimes things are beautiful just the way they are.

• missb_remodeling
    last year

The only thing I would put on top of those cabinets is paper towels. I would line the top with paper towels so that they catch all the dust that will accumulate.

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

Decorate where the people live; below window and door frames. If it continues to bother you, I suggest painting it to match the cabinets; the contrast is what draws attention now. In addition, it is much darker up there. You might consider installing some LED lighting to brighten. I think crown molding would help give a finished look, but if it isn't elsewhere in the home don't do it.

• AnnKH
    last year

Especially since there is no range hood, the tops of those cabinets are going to accumulate grease as well as dust. A layer of something (newspapers, waxed paper, etc) will make it easy to clean.

Over cabinet lighting might be nice.

• Stacey
    last year

I would add wide crown molding to finish it off.

• PRO
    Arch. Edger O. Ayier
    last year

Just close it off

• K Sub
    Original Author
    last year

Great suggestions. Thanks for the discussion everyone

• K Sub
    Original Author
    last year

Anyone have ideas on how to make the cabinets and hardware more modern?

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

Try pulls instead of knobs. Brushed nickel might be nice.

• RedRyder
    last year

A more decorative window treatment and new knobs for the doors will update the room quickly. When you replace knobs with new pulls, the measurements have to be exact. It also looks like the knobs are really close to the edges of the doors. Many designers hate knobs, but I like them on the upper cabinets. Do some internet looking and think about how the kitchen might look with different knobs - in brushed nickel, black, or oil rubbed bronze.