Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmul77

Need Front Door/Steps/Landscaping! Please help with colors/style!

kmul77
last year
last modified: last year

Hi,

We are having front steps built soon/and we need to decide if we should use composite decking or use Pressure Treated lumber. We need to choose a color/railings and color for a new front door as well. If using composite, need to hope we can find a color complimentary in stock. Also hoping to spend less than $1000 on a front door, if thats possible. Also considering changing trim from yellow to white if needed to make it look more updated. Landscaping tips too please! Thank YOU!

Comments (15)

• ffpalms
    last year

I would look for a door color that compliments that lovely tree on the left and your red brick chimney.

• kmul77
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

what color deck/ railings would you do with red? thank you

• ffpalms
    last year

I think a gray deck would look nice with your roof and concrete drive, and I think the railings would look good in your off white trim color.

• btydrvn
    last year

Wont that be a little confusing with two front entries?…plus if you make a bigger porch …you may need a more dominant door/s…and a roof over the door to give some dimension/ distinction to the new entry…to break up the big flat front with repeated square windows

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

I would also prefer a stone entry and steps. Wood does not seem in keeping with the character of the home and to me, has a less permanent, more temporary feel. My vote would be concrete faced with cut stone and a generously sized stone walkway to match.

• kmul77
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks everyone- had our mason over- he can do brick stairs with granite treads and platform so that is another option that we have-

would you change trim? door color? house color has to stay-

• btydrvn
    last year

What kind of railing?… will brick match chimney?

• kmul77
    Original Author
    last year

He can do brick with granite treads or concrete with stone. there are about 5 steps- so we need railing for our insurance

• btydrvn
    last year

Two separate entries will never look right…even more so if they don’t match…the most cohesive would be a wrap around deck connected to the small entrance ….with matching railings

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    last year

No. There is very plainly a Front door, in the front, and a Kitchen or Side door that happens to face the front. This is a fairly common layout.

Of course the brick should match the chimney as closely as possible. Since they aren't touching, it doesn't need to be an exact match, but they should appear the same from a reasonable distance. Also, the stoop should be fairly large to balance the facade of the house.

• P Banos
    last year

Red door, brick steps. You can paint side door to match the house siding.

• btydrvn
    last year

So much of this depend on whether you want to make this look right….it is two obviously different sections… completely different windows…doors…and a ton of personality on the tiny side……pretty blah on the major portion …..every effort should be made to unify the curb appeal….it is my opinion that adding some cute to the big side is the way to go….for re- sale later on …and for your enjoyment every time you come home

• btydrvn
    last year

Adding more brick to cover the foundation concrete would go a long way to upgrade the house and balance out the only other brick feature…if there is a tight budget it is always good to make an overall plan that can bed one in affordable steps

• btydrvn
    last year

In the long run ….a shed roof across the whole front…. over the first floor windows….with a deck and sliding glass doors in the middle…would totally transform the enjoyment and value and curb appeal of the home…