Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
circonium

What's the obvious choice for countertops, if you were me?

circonium
last year

I put quartz in a previous house and it looked nice and was functional, but I am sort of over the plasticky look/feel of it and not excited about doing it again.

I don't want a fake marble look, and I don't want gray tones. Cabinets will be creamy, leaning to yellow. My house is sunny and old (1910). At least half my family has ADHD and will not notice if something has spilled.

I think my options are:

Marble (love the look, but we will spill on it, there's no question)

Black honed granite (to look like soapstone)

Some other granite?

Quartzite (reading about it here has made me nervous)

White Corian (we had this in a previous house, so I know what it's like)

Quartz, but not so veiny

Soapstone (but my neighbor's looked legitimately terrible after only a few years, because of water stains, which makes me uneasy)

My contractor thinks quartz is the best choice for us. Should I just do that, putting practicality over aesthetics?

Comments (12)

• circonium
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks--I will look into it!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year
    last modified: last year

True quartzite isn't going to etch, or stain if you get one of the darker ones. always do your research since stone yards often sell marble as quartzite.

can we see some sort of pic? if you want warmer tones, look into more of a golden Taj Majal quartzite. it's true quartzite and shouldn't give you any issues.

if you want a soapstone look, try the Silestone Eternal Charcoal quartz in the suede finish

I have this same countertop in the gray and it's held up beautifully.

here's your black granite, honed or a satin finish

This was my old granite. can't remember the name (it goes by many)

Something creamier? Typhoon Bordeaux granite

Cambria Fairbourne. this would be pretty w/creamy cabinets.

take a painted door w/you to the stone yard and walk the aisles to see what you like

circonium thanked Beth H. :
  • circonium
    Original Author
    last year

Beth, I can't thank you enough--I love the photo of the Silestone Eternal Charcoal quartz and think the Cambria might be a good option too.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year
    last modified: last year

I like the Eternal charcoal. I think it would also fit the age of the home

it also coms in the polished.

i like the suede finish

here's the fairbourne

this is pretty too

circonium thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

I have had Taj Mahal quartzite and LOVED it. That would be my first choice. With your family needs it would serve you well. I would avoid the charcoal tones simply because everything will show on it. It’s a great look but think about how much “stuff” might sit on counter and you see it and need to constantly clean it. The Taj goes in any style. You will love it.

circonium thanked Flo Mangan
  • cwcf185
    last year

For black granite, you might consider Negresco (also sold as Nero Mist).

circonium thanked cwcf185
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    last year

Having everything show might be an advantage in a household with the potential issues the OP described.

One thing about granite, if someone forgets and sets a hot pan on it, it won't scorch! The very dense dark granites also do not require sealing (although some fabricators may tell you they do). I think that Virginia Mist honed looks pretty much like the Silestone Eternal - some slabs will have more or less patterning than the one shown.

circonium thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

"One thing about granite, if someone forgets and sets a hot pan on it, it won't scorch!"

The Natural Stone Institute recommends trivet use for all natural stones. I've seen hot pot marks in natural stone and splits too.

circonium thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    last year

I stand corrected, Joe!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

I always use racks or some surface under any hot pots or pans on any countertop. Just good practice.

• bcafe
    last year

Soapstone is not capable of "staining".

• RedRyder
    last year

The soapstone look is consistent with your home’s age. Virginia Mist is lovely too. But you have to want a dark countertop. Th Eternal Charcoal that Beth posted looks wonderful with creamy cabinets.
    I am a granite person and used Typhoon Green with my cream cabinets (SW Creamy). It’s hard to find, and so is the creamy-with-caramel Taj Mahal, but see what is available in your area.
    ALWAYS keep a cabinet door in your car when you shop for a countertop. There might be something at a stone yard that is perfect and none of us know what color it is.
    Cambria has a lot of great choices as well.
    Here is my Typhoon Green granite.

circonium thanked RedRyder