Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gregory_moase

Looking for Curb Appeal

Gregory M
last year

I just bought this house recently and I’m planning to do some upgrades to the exterior. The stonework is falling off of the front of the house and the original wood windows are due for replacement.
I’m open to suggestions on what might work best. I just don’t want to be left with a house that looks the same on all four sides. Maybe a covered deck added to the front? Many of the other houses in the area are a neutral craftsman style, but I also like mid century modern and farmhouse designs.
I’m open to any advice that fits with the existing siding and window sizes.

Comments (15)

• P Banos
    last year
    last modified: last year

Do you have a budget? Are you replacing all the siding or just the front? All the windows? Roof? Door? Garage door? Steps?

• Gregory M
    Original Author
    last year

Not really! Anything around $20,000-$25,0000.

• P Banos
    last year

Are you planning to do any work yourself? You need to prioritize necessary repairs first, then see what would be left of your budget. If you want to make a structural change, that needs to be worked into the plan.

• Gregory M
    Original Author
    last year

We’ll be doing most of the work and repairs ourselves to save on costs. Not much will be changed structurally beyond adding a covered deck to the front. We’ll definitely budget for that.

• P Banos
    last year

Depending on style, the porch alone could eat up most of your budget.

So could replacing all the windows and doors.

When you say covered deck, do you mean a full front porch or a portico?

• Gregory M
    Original Author
    last year

I would do a full front porch.

• Sammie J
    last year

Check with local zoning first to see what type of setback you need from the road, before you go to far with planning the porch.

• P Banos
    last year

Unless you have a larger budget, think you need to begin with essential repairs first. You have no back steps, the roof looks patched, driveway needs repair. You mentioned new windows, and the front cladding.

• houssaon
    last year

I agree with decoenthusiaste. You need a new roof. I would remove the failing stone front and replace it with the siding that is on the other sides or do a combination of clapboard and board and batten. Paint the foundation so it doesn't stick out.

• mskarlam
    last year

Agreed. And if you do start with the roof, be sure to have your entire color scheme in mind. The color of the shingles should complement the rest of the house.

• Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    last year

The problem with a front covered deck is as follows - 1. the natural light coming into the front of your house will be limited - 2. you need to determine if you will be spending time outside in the front of your home or the back. Typically, decks are put in the back of homes.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last year

Here is my rendering for some one else. Hope you get an idea.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last year

Or may be this one is closer to yours .So you can left some brick areas.

• housegal200
    last year

Not sure why you'd want a covered deck in front, which will block light inside. I also can't figure out where you would locate it. How about something like this--sort of Celery's design but with a seating patio as part of a new walkway and great landscaping. Consider

Forever Ranch · More Info

The driveway could use some attention and when that happens, add walkway patio to the front. I do like that pandemic confinement made front yards popular gathering places again, but it seems to me, the back of your house is the place for a covered deck or screened porch down the road.

Patios · More Info