Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_332403291

hiring interior decorator advice

Ashley R
last year

I hired an interior decorator (not designer) and provided a very specific outline of what I needed. I wanted her to select a rug, bedside lamps, a piece of wall art and bedding for a single bedroom. The bedroom furniture and layout was already established. Including the bed, nightstands, dresser, window treatment and ceiling light. I also wanted her to select dining chairs, bar stools, pendant lights, and a chandelier for small kitchen with eat-in nook. All other things established and not under consideration for change. Basically, I wanted these items selected to best coordinate with what I already have. I provided pictures, layouts, measurements, etc. and about 40 pictures of ideas I thought could work with my style and current color scheme.

My question is, should this have taken a professional 64 hours to do??? 64 billable hours to send me a list that included dining chair, bar stool, rug, bedside lamps, pendant light and chandelier??? No rendering. Nothing to show how it would all look together and no information about the products themselves, like what brand or manufacturer or where they are from. Honestly, the majority of the stuff was basically from the ideas I gave to her from my Pinterest. I don’t feel like what she provided me was worth 64 billable hours which I received a bill of almost $5000.00 for! Am I an idiot or is this just the way this stuff works?? I don’t know how she worked 64 hours on my project when only 4 days passed from the time I hired her to when she sent me the list of items along with the bill. Did she stay up day and night working tirelessly on making this list??? Should it take a professional this long to make these decisions??? I mean, sure, a non professional like myself can spend countless hours scrolling through Pinterest but a professional??? I think I got ripped off but I don’t have anything to compare. Please share all thoughts. I feel pretty stupid and my husband and I are now scrambling to pay the remaining balance we owe.

Comments (5)

• HU-765755942
    last year

You got played. For that amount and she didn’t even tell you where to get it or what brand. You received about the same amount I was or less for $150. For one designer, they gave me different renderings on furniture layout and came to my house and gave me ideas for $120. You wanted someone to do actually pick the items, which is much different. Did you actually discuss what to expect?

• HU-765755942
    last year

So I’m guessing they handed over the subpar suggestions, and now expecting full payment? I think your only recourse is a prior email, written statement, verbal discussion, etc on what to expect.

• Ashley R
    Original Author
    last year

I was very clear about what I wanted (verbally and in-writing) I asked for her to provide suggestions for the list of items I provided. Lamps, rug, etc. and I was under no obligation to purchase these items from anywhere in particular, including from her. I was just wanted a professional to coordinate the items with my current color and style within my home. I agreed to an hourly salary and paid a $500.00 retainer fee upfront that would be refunded in the event that the hourly wage did not exceed the $500.00. I was shocked by the amount of hours she claimed to have worked on making the selections she provided. I was also told her retainer fee was due the fact that she uses very expensive “exclusive” rendering software that only licensed professionals have. However, I did not receive any such rendering and when I asked for some kind of image to show me how the items she suggested would look in my home, she sent me a very generic rendering of rooms that look NOTHING like my home at all…not even the same colors, size, layout, etc. It was very obliviously not my rendering. I mentioned this to her and she told me this was the “remodel” she suggested for my home. I was never considering any kind of remodel and never discussed re-doing the entire layout of my house or adding a huge addition….basically her rendering was a completely different house and she’s claiming she “designed” it especially for me. I asked for light fixtures, rug, pendant, and chairs. That’s it. I emailed her and told her I wasn’t paying her that much for what she provided and I’m waiting for response. Thanks for your response.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    last year
    last modified: last year

Do not pay anything until this is straightened out. Get on this right away.

Contact her in writing (you have been corresponding by email, correct) so you can keep track of all correspondence. Keep it simple and to the point. Do not get wordy. Ask her to give you the full particulars for the billing hours, item by item. Then remain silent and await her response.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

Did she actually come to your house ? It does not sound like this was a face to face at all. IMO this was an open door from you for this type of billing where is your contract ? If you sent me out shopping with no guidance who knows how many hours I could spend. I really think we need more info and a look at the contract.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals