Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gtdj519

Quartzite for kitchen

gtdj519
last year

Picked our quaetize slabs this week for kitchen

doing white cabients

should island be the same stone or different? ive never had an island before, so im not sure what most people do

thanks

Comments (21)

• eld6161
    last year
    last modified: last year

If you want two stones, that can be the island and I would do a solid gray for the parameters.

Keep all the cabinets white.

If you want the island cabinetry be a different color, than parameters, then I would keep all stone the same.

• Fori
    last year

I'd do it all in THAT stone. But if you can't--like there isn't enough available or it's too expensive or you just want two types--I agree with eld. Cool stone on island, Tame stone on perimeter.

But THAT stone should be everywhere, just because it's so nice.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

how big is the island? why not do it for the island and a solid for the others? you want the prettiest slab to be the focal point. if you use it on the perimeter, it's going to get cut to 24", reducing the overall beauty.

post pics of your cabs and flooring.

that quartzite is a cooler blue toned, so if you go w/another counterotp, make sure they're in the same cool family. (are you 100% sure it's quartzite? stone places often mislabel marble as a quartzite. did you do any of the tests on it? glass test or the lemon test?)is it Ijen Blue?

If you have enough, use the stone on both spots.

with my slab, I used marble on the island, Silestone Eternal Serena on the perimeter( i knew I wanted a busier tile.)

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for all the great ideas and suggestions. beautiful pics!

Im glad it would be okay to use it on both. As Beth pointed out, once the stone is cut for side counters, it will lose a lot of the movement. The island is not that big. about 40 x 72, so it really won't stand alone in my opinion as a showcase piece at that size.

for that reason, id definitely prefer to use it on all areas.

The color is really pretty; it's like a light grey/blue color with white and ivory veining.

unique looking color tones. I just couldn't stop looking at it, it was so pretty to me.

Yes, it is a true quartzite. it is from Italy. Used the same fabricator that I have been using for years, so there is a trusting working relationship there. I did lemon and vinegar test for about 15-30 minutes. left no etching or staining. I also cut/ scratched a glass tile with it.

I know how tricky it can be to ensure you are getting what you think you are getting. frustrating and confusing. The stone industry really need to fix that issue.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

color

doesnt come out great in pics, but heres a few close up

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

• Jj J
    last year

That’s beautiful!

• Kendrah
    last year

Really nice stone. I think it largely depends on the size of your kitchen and the layout. Can you give us some more info?

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Pics of current kitchen

wall coming down between kotchen and dining room

counterop being extended 36 inches to where wall use ro be .( imdicated pink line )

under ounter fridge will be added

2 open shelves will be added on the eall abovr it , amd the wall will be tiiled with the backspash tile up to the ceiling ( as an accent wall)

spacel )

cabinets are staying -- being redinished in white

floors staying - apploances staying

table replaced with approx 40 x 72

island

• millworkman
    last year

How about a scaled floor plan as that may be a bit tight of a fit for a 40" x 72" island and still have good clearance.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last year

That is a gorgeous stone, and after seeing your "before" photos, I'd be inclined to use it for all the counter tops.

On another note, would you consider a color other than white for the cabinets? Perhaps a grayish-green? It would be different and could work well with the quartzite as well as your natural wood floors.

Cabinets · More Info

Farmhouse Kitchen · More Info

Kitchens · More Info

Portfolio Images · More Info

Riptide · More Info

Kitchen · More Info

Santa Monica Spanish · More Info

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

The island is an approxiamte size ( not finalized) it will be olace verticaly , nit horizontally

the current table we have is 44 in diameter, , so it will be smaller widrh wise that whats curently there

the green is pretty, a very ” on trend upcoming color” for kitchens from what ive seen and read, but it really woulndt go with the rest of house decor, and certainly not go with my dining room , which will now be open to my kitchen

it is lovely though and a great suggesrion, just not the right one for my home.

ive never had a white kitchen, they are a classic staple that have never gone out of style. i dont want any regrets down the road in choosing a colored cabinet, be it for myself , or for resale purposes etc

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

You're not keeping the same tile, are you?

will the wood floors be refinished? I ask because your stone is very 'cool' blue- toned, the floors are warm and rather yellow.

My island that I pictured for you isn't much bigger than what you're getting.

You may have enough to do both. if so, I'd go that route.

If not, use it for the island, and you will have leftovers. I did w/mine and I used a few pieces for coffee bar-top, and also had a piece cut to go over the cabinet by the back door.

so if you don't have enough for both spots, maybe you'll have enough for some other places? what if you had a new rad cover made and topped it w/a piece of the stone? then you could put some plants on it or something.

another option,,,have your fabricator cut some shelves from it and mount them somewhere using gold brackets.

you could also have a piece cut to go behind the stove, OR, just have a long shelf like this made as a ledge for cooking items.

leftovers could be used in the shower as a bench, to line the niche, a curb, or a vanity top.

or, have a custom table base made for your leftover. can be any size or shape.

Heck, find an antique table, cut the top for it, and a really cool island (you'd sell this obviously. could prob get a nice price for it too)

super cheap to do one like this. (with a better paint job though)

You can buy one of these old looking wood tables, remove the top and replace w/the stone.

or maybe you have another place for something like this

I actually still have a huge leftover piece from my island that I haven't used yet. Make sure you ask them for the leftovers. sometimes they keep them and resell it. you paid for it, you get all of it.

Also too, make sure the guy asks you where you'd like it cut. when I did mine for the island I gave them this mock-up

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you beth

thankfully my fabricator charges by the square foot, so what he does is, i gove him how many square feet i need, he then charges me the peice of only what i need.. i still get to reserve the slabs i like best, i her to mark where thet cut the remainder of the slabs he then sells as remnants. so im not pating formmkre than i need and trying to figure out what to do with leftover stone

the floors are nit being refinsihed . the entire hosie has the same floors, so ro refinsh ine room , would mean redinishing everyrnng , i am not doing that . the radiator is notmgoing to be there, as the wall is coming down

yes, the backspalsh is being changed

• Mrs Pete
    last year

That floor is quite "warm" in tone, and the proposed stone is "cool". I don't see them being friends.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Well, theyre going to have to learn to like each other , because the floros arent being changed 😂

nothing i can aboiut it ; changing floors is way too big of a job, so it is what it is

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

just bring in a nice runner to cover a portion of the wood floor if it turns out to be too warm looking.

in the future you can have them done (it looks like they need it! ;)

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Hi beth

, tha is what i was thinking; getting a runner to go along rhe lenght of the longest cabinet . im it stressing over the floors . doesnt bother me.

and when i say im not refinishing rhe floor, i meamt i am not chamging the color. yes, they need to be redone, as the kitchen gets the most wear, and tear, and it is due time . There will be patch work that needs to be done when wall comes down etc so they will be ,refinished for sure, but not changing color because that would mean changing EVERY room and floor in the house , as all flloors in every room are the same . no way…. LOL

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

the only reason it's yellow is because of the current clear coat. once that is all sanded down to the raw wood, you'll have the natural oak again.

this is one of the Bona finishes

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Yes, that is what i have . oak with a clear coat if i remember correctly (?) its been 8 years cant recall

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

I think it natural either natural or clear .

cant remember . whatever matches the rest of thouse is what it will be! 😂