Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinyghettodancer

Is there an app where I can assign what goes in each drawer of house?

C B
last year

Before moving into a new house, I'm trying to figure out what goes in each part of the kitchen, closets etc.

Ideally I'd also love to create mudroom cubby plans on the computer based on what goes where (so that I can then build it). Does anything like this exist?

Comments (10)

• bpath
    last year

A pad of graph paper, a couple of pencils, and a white eraser or two.

• loobab
    last year

:)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

Best way IMO

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

I had an app that I used to do that, but I can not find it because I forgot to show where I put the app.

(humor)

• res2architect
    last year

Print plain paper photos and add notes. Your spouse and children will never put the stuff back properly anyway,

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

LOL . I also find that over time you change these plans too.

• User
    last year
    last modified: last year

This should have been done in the DESIGN phase, up front, so that things are planned to organized and stored where they are needed. Any good kitchen designer would have done that in some of the very first meetings. It’s far more important than choosing among a dozen white colors for the cabinets. At this late stage, you’re left with printed elevations and scrambling to fit the too tall blender in a bottom drawer sideways instead of upright.

• apple_pie_order
    last year

Make lists of every single thing you are taking to your new kitchen in Excel. Photos of the contents in open current drawers and cabinets will help. Then rearrange the lists by drawer and cabinet for your new kitchen. Do the same for the closets. You can use the lists if you ever have an insurance claim.

For a mudroom plan, put everything you want to put in the cubbies on the living room floor or dining room table. Then arrange them by future cubby, take a photo, and start your planning.

• loobab
    last year

Uh, Unless I am misunderstanding the OP, the mudroom is not built yet.

She /he wants to build it, based on his/her needs and wants a computer plan to help.

CB- Are you building this yourself or will you be hiring a cabinet maker or other craftsman?

Please excuse me for stating the obvious, but it seems to me you need to take an exhaustive and detailed inventory of what you want to go in the mudroom space, with measurements before you even pick up the pencil or mouse..

Different people put different things in their mudrooms, and they take differing amounts of room.

For example, you can't just say, "clothing closet."

If it will hold coats for a man that is 6'8" and 300 lbs, that closet will need to be deeper than the average closet.

And the space for his boots will need to be taller.

If you have dogs and horses, etc, you may want more boot space, and a place for leashes.

I would do an exhaustive internet search, and try to contact the people and sources listed and ask them how they did it.

Most people are helpful.

What is often the most helpful is when people share their mistakes and the things they wish they had done.

• M Miller
    last year

A side benefit of making a list of your kitchen inventory - simple list, no app needed - is seeing in black and white just how much stuff you have, and how much of it can be de-cluttered and eliminated.