Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_747638355

Toning down grey kitchen

Jo O
last year

We have just had our new kitchen fitted and went for a colour that in warm lighting looks like a soft greige and almost had a very slight sage green tone to it in the showroom. As I feared might happen (but stupidly decided to just hope for the best!) in our North facing kitchen in natural day time lighting it just looks grey. A nice shade of grey and a nice kitchen but not the colour I would have wanted. I am looking for advice about how we can tile / furnish / dress the space to try and detract from the greyness and introduce some pretty and some cosy into what is currently a bit masculine and utilitarian. If it helps at all, the wrong cornice was installed and we are waiting for replacement of a plainer more clean and modern version. Thanks in advance!

Comments (24)

• Jo O
    Original Author
    last year

Also if the extractor cupboard looks a bit low that’s because it is 🤦‍♀️it will also be replaced so there will be a little more backsplash on show when we do tile

• Sonia
    last year

Do you like patterned tiles at all? You can get them in a beige/taupe which may sit well with your cupboards. A very pale pink may also go well.

• Jo O
    Original Author
    last year

I really like the idea of a sort of pink toned beige, those first ones with the glossy uneven look are beautiful! Thank you Sonia

• Daisy England
    last year

Perhaps opt for a colourful glass splashback. Look on the Premier Range website. They have some bright ones if you decide to go with plain wall tiles.

You could also add your kettle and toaster in a bright colour.

• CWD
    last year

Add some plants to bring in some of the green - hopefully that will help bring out the green undertones of the grey. I'd stay away from pink-beige and find tiles with a green undertone rather than pink (or beige, which will just make the cabinets look more grey). Maybe a dark emerald green would add some contrast and some green without it being too bright.

• Juliet Docherty
    last year
    last modified: last year

I think it might be a good idea to add things, tiles, etc that make the grey look deliberate. I would be inclined to add texture and nutty earthy colours. Pale terracotta looks great with grey, or any pinky brown colours too. Add in a bit of greenery and walnuty type cool woods.

https://www.bakedtiles.co.uk/products/marrakesh-brick-light-5cm-x-15cm?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4uaUBhC8ARIsANUuDjWgN1knkAiuM4T9-R7eHCm8XK-DGBr6BL7hIG8JCu7IgsA83KPbq5saAuEPEALw_wcB

• minnie101
    last year

The kitchen looks lovely. If you like Sonia’s first idea, it may also be worth looking at the Ecru zellige from Ottotiles. I’d accessorise as they have adding texture and shapes (try Japanese style wooden spoons for display). You could add more terracotta for display if you have room for a vase, cups etc or maybe a window blind. These cups from Nkuku look pretty

• PRO
    CIA_Studio
    last year

I would introduce some nice blue tiles...

• Jo O
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions, can’t tell you how helpful they are. We are getting to the end of a long renovation project and honestly it’s currently so hard to see the wood for the trees! We are to order some samples going down the earthy tones route in the hope that this will be a way to introduce some much lacking warmth to the space. I think I’ll still need some time to get my head around how different this will end up to my dream kitchen, hoping this will feel easier once the builders are out the way and I can find some motivation for the whole thing again!

• tamp75
    last year

For me, it’s the black handles that stand out as being a bit masculine but I don’t imagine you want to change those anytime soon. We have a very similar coloured kitchen, inc very similar floor & no tiles but I have crystal style knobs which (although not everyone’s cup of tea) I think give it a ‘softer’ look.

• PRO
    Frank ‘n’ Style
    last year

How about adding some copper tones into the splash back to warm things up? Maybe switching the handles to a warmer gold or copper. A terrazzo splashback could also work.

• gold895
    last year

How about a green splashback.

• gold895
    last year

• Sharon Daly
    last year

It appears to be a fairly small space and the bright white walls make it look cold - painting the walls a softer, warmer colour will make a huge difference immediately and add coziness. But just adding your own touches - some wooden chopping boards, ceramic bowls, etc. will look great once you get sorted.

• Linda
    last year

I like a buttery yellow tile with gray. One option is onyx tiles; you get a lovely soft yellow and the veining in the onyx. Zellige tiles are lovely too; don't know about yellow with them.

• PRO
    Jikoni Interiors
    last year

Hi Jo,

We think a lovely lime or mustard colour splashback/tiles will work beautifully with the colours you already have in the kitchen. Even adding candyfloss pink colour tiles would work beautifully. It would definitely add a pop colour to your kitchen and add dimension. We hope this helps :)

Kind regards,

Jikoni Interiors.

www.jikoniinteriors.com

• K G
    last year

What a lovely blank canvas to now do something with! Some patterned/glossy tiles in pink/terracotta would warm or in green shade to draw out the green of the cupboard should do the trick. And then accessorise with the usual kitchen stuff (kettles, pots with wooden spoons etc) plus a few plants and you’ll be there. In terms of the latter - look at all the accessories in Sonia’s posted pictures for ideas and proof of how such things make a kitchen. I’m sure it will be beautiful once you’ve added all the last bits.

• Louise Tobin
    last year

I have a similar style door in a dark kitchen, it might some inspiration.

Kitchen · More Info

• Si Co
    last year
    last modified: last year

Depending on the harshness of the light coming through the window (which may only suit light coloured walls) I’d be tempted to go for a more sumptuous eye catching look by going darker and rely more on fairly bright but flexible led lighting (mixture of task and diffused/reflected off the white ceiling) to keep the dimness at bay. Also, a nicely done room that’s supposed to look dark won’t feel so gloomy on a dull day.

Dark grey walls for example with dark orange tiles forming splashbacks (or maybe just mostly dark grey tiles with 20 to 30% in a contrasting colour). The floor‘s just fine but something very pale & glossy could help lift the whole room (go for legs over plinths). Good luck with whatever you end up with!

• PRO
    Carla / kolours.space
    last year

The kitchen will have morning light/ top light/ evening under the wall units light. I would definitely advise a LED plinth light to lift the darkness at low level in evening's. The light under the wall cupboard will be key to think what to tile.

• PRO
    Carla / kolours.space
    last year

What was the showroom tile? Maybe was something there that you liked subconscious and will help thinking process now

• siobhanmcgee90
    last year

For me, the handles accentuate the grey and I’d add oak touches to soften the look and love Sonia’s tile suggestion.

• Christina Cornish
    last year

I agree with bringing in some warm toned tiles and some wood/brass further warm things up. Your kitchen is lovely and timeless :) the herringbone would set it off well. North facing is tricky and I think you have a nice base colour there.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH