Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shelley_downes

Wall art color and style for a transitional dining room

I just painted my dining room phillipsburg blue to add a pop of color to my house which has wickham gray and stonington blue. the room has cherry furniture, oak floors and a chandelier. ive tried a mirror but it just didnt look right. what color and style of art pieces can i use?

Comments (11)

• kandrewspa
    last year

I love the wall color, but I don't love the chandelier. Have you considered replacing it? Especially if you want the room to look more transitional than traditional a different chandelier would help you achieve that look.

Art is very individual, so you should be looking for something that speaks to you. You can lean a little modern too if that appeals to you. Don't worry about the colors in the art too much - green, yellow, red, white and black will all look fine. The idea is to buy something that you will enjoy looking at for years to come.

That is a lot of wall area, but don't feel compelled to fill all of it. Instead of one picture you can do multiples. Multiple pictures can be hung in a very linear fashion or as a gallery wall which doesn't have many rules. Look at transitional dining room pictures on Houzz to see what other people do.

• eld6161
    last year

While you figure out perhaps a gallery wall, how about a large metal wall sculpture? You already have color.

• housegal200
    last year

Just offering a palette for your dining room. I actually like the chandelier and traditional furniture, but sometimes offering a contrast creates a great dynamic. You can do this with modern or abstract art. The palette is a little of your blue, white, gold of your floors and chandelier finish.

Extra Large Abstract Tree Painting on Canvas Modern Acrylic unstretched 40x60 · More Info

This palette and abstract style, but horizontal, could be beautiful. It pulls you in.

"Abstract Water Reflection" Oil Painting,modern impressionist art · More Info

"Conundrums II" Premium Thick-Wrap Canvas Wall Art 36"x36" · More Info

• Shelley Downes
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for giving me picture ideas. appreciate it!

• PRO
  • decoenthusiaste
    last year

Would love to see more of the room. Perhaps some clip-on lamp shades would upgrade the chandy and tone down the glare you can get from bare bulbs. Do you have room for a rug? It should be 36-42" larger than the table top all around but not run into baseboards or other furniture. That might be where you find colors for some art. I would remove the artificial plant.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

I'd select art that had a gold frame to complement the brass fixture. The multi color and crisp white mattes are uplifting in the room IMO

Botanicals are another option for dining room art.

If you select art in a vertical format I think adding brass candle sconces would be a nice way to fill the wall.

• Jilly
    last year
    last modified: last year

Since it’s a lot of wall space, I think a grouping would be nice. Love that paint color, this room has it, too:

If you have smaller walls needing art, I like one framed piece:

Instead of one mirror, a grouping:

The green in this art looks wonderful with blue:

This is a nice grouping idea (sizes):

A striking antique plate rack (maybe find one not quite this big) ;)

Or just plates, traditionally hung:

I saved this a while back for the gorgeous wallpaper …. was thinking if you found a paper you like, you could frame pieces of it, or do panels:

These are papers:

Obviously you don’t need as large as these, showing for the colors of the paper and gold frames:

Instead of regular plates, they used a collection of oyster plates. There are a ton of them you can find online.

• TMac
    last year

Need something with lighter colours and some brighter colours. Probably some complementary (orange, fuscia) if you're going for a more modern vibe.

Shelley Downes thanked TMac