Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
venexiano

How do you like this open concept bathroom (no bathroom-bedroom wall)

venexiano
last year
last modified: last year

I want to add a new bathroom into a bedroom in my 4bdr 3bath house. It does not fit in the bedroom as a "standard" bathroom, therefore I decided to experiment with an open concept bathroom (i.e. a bathroom with no wall separating it from the bedroom). I basically reduced the size of the existing closet and added a bathroom into the wall. I attach pre-post drawings and renderings of the planned open concept bathroom. I know that the open concept bathrooms, although becoming popular in many luxury hotels, are still not well seen, but I would love it if you could please give me some honest constructive criticism. The room is meant to be for single occupancy, it is part of my house where I live, I rent it out on Airbnb and by adding this bathroom I can increase on average the price by ~$500 per month for each of the 2 bedrooms that now share a hallway bathroom. In a few years, I would like to get married and have kids, and stop renting, and I think that when one of my kids will be 10+ years old he/she will be happy of having an ensuite bathroom. Hopefully, the house value will increase as well. Do you have any comments/suggestions on the design? In particular, I have this calacatta oro by Bedrosian tiles on the bathroom wall in all renderings, except for one rendering in which I have put this Emser Uptown Manhattan. Which one do you like the most? Note that:

1) I will have engineered white oak woodfloor ($13/sqf) installed everywhere. Yes risky, but if it will get ruined I will put floor tiles on that tiny bathroom area.

2) I am debating if that curtain for privacy (in case exceptionally the airbnb guest wanna bring a partner for the weekend) should cover only the toilet or should be long enough to go all the way to hide the shower as in the rendering (note that a mid-way support to the wall is missing on the shower rod and should be added).

3) I sent the drawings to the city and they said it is fine as long as the vanity drain is moved toward the shower by 4 inches (I am getting a custom vessel sink with offset drain).

4) The fan is on top of the shower, I will have a humidity sensor that will be sized based on the square footage f the entire bedroom.

5) The vanity mirror is a medicine cabinet for extra storage.

6) Shower fixtures are matt black, I was not able to change them from stainless to black

7) The exact shower is this, I don't have the 3D model of it: https://www.lowes.com/pd/DreamLine-Prism-Plus-Satin-Black-Floor-Neo-Angle-2-Piece-Corner-Shower-Kit-Actual-74-75-in-x-36-in-x-36-in/1000464969

Comments (26)

• roarah
    last year

To me a toilet fully open to a living and sleeping area is a hard no. if you could wall off a toilet room maybe but as drawn no.

• arcy_gw
    last year

I grew up in homes that ALWAYS had a master bath. I assumed EVERYONE would want/have one. We bought this home-no ensuite. I was 'promised' that could change. FF 25 years it ain't changin. My son now has a home and was lamenting the other day about who in their right mind thought a master bath was a good idea. He is super odor sensitive!! hahaha We have stayed in hotel rooms with a jacuzzi tub basically at the end of the bed.. To answer your question this would be a hard no. A FAIL in my book. The humidity alone would be a hard no....let alone other issues. Even though I totally understand the want of an ensuite.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    last year

No. I would not rent this room. I would rather share the hall bath.

• catbuilder
    last year

I would never rent a place where I would sleep in the bathroom.

• Rebecca Hicks
    last year

No for me!

• margimutch
    last year

Can you make a 6 x 8 bathroom - bottom right corner in drawing. Open up the closet space, turn storage closet into small closet. AirBNBs don't need much in the way of closet space I think.

• palimpsest
    last year

Also in my location you need 15" on center for the toilet, which you have, 15" on center for the sink which you do not have. Some areas will require 18" on center for each.

• User
    last year

Horribly dysfunctional and a truly revolting design. The house wouldn't even be sellable without a huge price drop to fix this horrible obvious DIY screw up. Because it would also lead to looking for the other goofy and badly done DIY. Which I am sure is there. Bad DIY ideas don’t live alone. They multiply. Like a nasty rash of pustulent boils. Like most of your “genius” past posts that refuse to get professional help involved. Ruining a house a bit at a time is sure an expensive hobby to have, with zero upside.

• susan49417
    last year

Absolute no for all the reasons listed above.

• palimpsest
    last year

I have seen similar things where the room was obviously designed for a disabled person, but there has been some sort of separation for at least the toilet, in part because there needed to be supports and such for the person to use. it. But in general a toilet and sleeping combined reminds me of the penal system.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

Why no wall ? I see nothing stopping you frm adding a wal so I need more info as to whay the shower is not just going all across that wall or even a tub/ shower there .

• venexiano
    Original Author
    last year

Its not DYI, I am working with a contractor, people have been very happy with him so far, he is proposing this, although of course he said he is a bit out of ordinary

• venexiano
    Original Author
    last year

The wall wont fit since by code you need 24" clearance in front of toilet. And bathroom would be too small. Contractor said this would be the best solution IF I want still the bathroom, that is why I ask for you help. @User , not sure which other posts you refer to, but all the remodeling I am doing is done with a licensed contractor, licensed plumber/electrician, who all pull permits. I am here because I really value your opinion, and if 99% of you will say that is a bad idea I trust you and I won't do it, I don't want the value of the house to go down.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

Terrible. Don't do it. No one wants the toilet visible from the bed. Luxury hotels or not, it's a concept that will not stand the test of time and in fact, may detract from the value of your home. The hotels I've seen that have this have glass partitions between the bathroom and the bedroom. And some even have the smart glass that can go opaque for privacy.

• flopsycat1
    last year

I think you got your answer re the open air bathroom. Alternatively, would it be possible to create an enclosed half bath, given space and clearance requirements?

• M Miller
    last year

Horrible idea. And eventually you or your heirs will want to sell the home. This cockamamie idea will be a big detriment to unloading - er, selling - it.

• cpartist
    last year

This is probably the fastest way to lower the value of your home.

I rent it out on Airbnb and by adding this bathroom I can increase on average the price by ~$500 per month for each of the 2 bedrooms that now share a hallway bathroom.

I'm guessing anyone who sees what you want to do would pass on renting it as an Air BnB too. I know I certainly wouldn't want to hear or see my spouse do his business in the middle of the night.

• einportlandor
    last year

Another no. It looks like a room in a rehab facility -- not a good Airbnb selling point. Ask your contractor if you can shrink the closet to make a bathroom more realistic. A small reach-in closet is all that's needed in a short-term rental. If not, skip the bathroom.

Don't plan your life around what someone who hasn't yet been conceived might want many years in the future. Life has a way of sending us in directions we never could imagine. Don't overthink this my friend. Good luck with your project.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    last year

This is the previous post about the same bedroom.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6240606/help-me-design-the-smallest-up-to-code-full-bathroom-in-this-bedroom

You do not have enough space.

• Helen
    last year

I'll be a contrarian. I would never knowingly rent a room with a shared bathroom in the hall. That would be a complete pass - I don't even like having to use a hallway bathroom in a sleeping situation in which I would share with friends and family because if I need to use it in the night I would have to wake up more/get more decently dressed and I hate having to shlep stuff to take a shower or perform normal grooming stuff in a bathroom.

I don't have the horror of viewing a toilet from a bedroom that some houzzers seem to have. It certainly wouldn't bother me on a temporary basis. I have a master bath in my home and I can't remember the last time I actually shut the door. I don't have issues with smells or humidity but perhaps that is because my Toto washlet has a built in deodorizer AND I have an excellent Panasonic fan which runs based on ambient humidity levels. I don't generally even have condensation on shower doors or mirrors after exiting let along huge amounts of humidity wafting through my bedroom.

The question really is one of economics. There is a cost to installing the bathroom and OP would need to decide whether they would make up the expense by having increased rent and/or renting it out more frequently. Certainly any prospective renter would see a picture and determine whether they wanted the ensuite with a curtain in the room or use of a bathroom in the hall.

Also resale value is a red herring. At such point that OP wanted to sell it would be relatively inexpensive to convert the bathroom into a closet if having the ensuite in that room was a negative.

• millworkman
    last year

"I don't want the value of the house to go down."

God awful idea and the value going down will be the third worst thing past the view and odors.

• venexiano
    Original Author
    last year

I appreciate all the answers. The other discussion was about fitting a standard bathroom with walls. This is a completely different discussion about an open space bathroom. Again, I really appreciate all the answers, and based on the overwhelmingly negative response I am not gonna pay 40k for this bathroom. Thank you again, if you come to Gainesville Florida send me a PM I will get you a drink :)

• millworkman
    last year

Still a crapper and a bedroom question no matter how you look at it.

• Nancy Anna
    last year

Perhaps instal a pretty sliding barn door - with frosted or decorative glass panels.

• AA Byron
    8 months ago

Sure, want people *really* want is the be sleeping a few feet away from where their partner is using the toilet. :-)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022