Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
molly_murphy88

New homeowners here: Knock down this wall or open up the pass-thru?

Molly Murphy
last year
last modified: last year

I attach three photos, one from the owners previous to the one selling now, one as it currently is and one from the other side of the pass-thru (kitchen side). We want to open up the space. You can see that there used to be a door way which was covered for a small 'window' between the kitchen and living room.

I am all for open concept and my partner and I plan to knock down the wall, however, we have some hesitation due to the door frame to the immediate left and the door frame adjacent. My big plan was to get a kitchen island in there and bring out the space. We love to cook and entertain. We are also young, (28F, 30M) and our budget is limited, but we have plenty of passion!

What do you think of creating a bigger cut-out and adding a counter area.

Thanks in advance for anyone who reads this :)

Comments (12)

• E. T.
    last year

Uploading a floor plan of at least the kitchen and living room will help you get better answers. From just the pictures you uploaded, it looks like opening that space may make your furniture placement a challenge and I cant guess what the kitchen layout is to address the island. A floor plan with openings and measurements will help

• la_la Girl
    last year

What is on the other side of the wall (the kitchen side)? -some pics would be great

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last year

You need to consult with someone who can tell you if the wall is load-bearing or not. If it is you can remove it but you will have to have a new beam installed to carry the existing load. Good luck!

• Molly Murphy
    Original Author
    last year

Here is the picture from the other side of the cut-out (bottom right is the corner of the opening). We do plan to consult with a contractor prior to doing anything to ensure that the wall is not load-bearing. We have been told by our inspector that it is likely not, but we want to be sure.

Thanks for the answers so far!

• millworkman
    last year

"We have been told by our inspector that it is likely not, but we want to be sure."

My bet would be he was wrong or just telling you what you wanted to hear.

Molly Murphy thanked millworkman
  • shirlpp
    last year

My big plan was to get a kitchen island in there and bring out the space.

What do you think of creating a bigger cut-out and adding a counter area.

Do you want a kitchen island or a counter area? The kitchen seems tight, and you'd probably have to expand a bit into the living space.

• User
    last year

What is your budget? The standard 85K mid grade like for like kitchen remodel plus the 15K structural work, plus the 30K for all new floors? Or is your budget closer to the upscale 170K kitchen remodel plus 20k of structural for invisible support, and 60K for all new upscale floors? Or is it 50K and all contracting work and labor done in house with your own hands and 18 months of time? .

• la_la Girl
    last year

If you google ”open kitchen load bearing wall” you will see loads of photos and Youtube tutorials that will help you be smarter about the process - this type of research will help you come up with good questions for the contractors you’re talking with about the project

• Judy Dunn
    last year

Why is the living room right next to the kitchen? Would it make sense to take the wall down and design an one larger kitchen/dining space? Move the living room to the room I see on the right.

• everdebz
    last year

Having lived in the cold winters of Minnesota, I'll ask if you've noticed cold wind blowing through your front door? if so, having some closed wall can help a bit.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    last year

It’s not clear to me exactly what is on the other side of the wall with the cutout window. Kitchen cabinets, both uppers and lowers? If so, it seems you would lose a tremendous amount of kitchen storage if you remove the wall. In effect making your kitchen seem smaller and less useful.